Windows 7

General discussion

Windows 7 with Visual Basic 6

by SamCec / May 20, 2009 10:02 PM PDT

On my system I am using the following: Windows XP Professional SP3, Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition, and Crystal Reports XI Developers Edition. I also have quite a bit of other software.

In previous reports I remember reading that VB6 will work with Windows 7 if "AERO" is NOT turned on. By the way, I never went to Vista and I DO NOT know the purpose or use of "AERO".

Now that Windows 7 has "Windows XP Mode", is that statement still true? I do some development and maintenance of PC applications in VB6 and do not want to give it up.

Can someone please advise. I would like to go with Windows 7. I have heard nothing but good reports. If VB6 or other related products are going to give me a problem, I just can't do it.

Thanks,
Sam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 with Visual Basic 6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 with Visual Basic 6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2009 10:47 PM PDT

Sam,

I have a test box setup with Windows 7 and as a test I installed Virtual Box and XP in that virtual box. Visual Basic 6 or VB6 has all the same stuff/issues and works as expected in that Virtual Box (see google.com) so that is the extent of my testing.

This test box will get a new video card over the next week and I'll try to install VB6 in Windows 7 then but NOT before then. Remember its just a test box we have here and I'll try stuff when there is a time to do that.

On your part, let me know how your tests fare.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 and Visual Basic 6
by SamCec / May 20, 2009 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Sam.

Bob:

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, I need to depend on people like you for the answers. I only have one system and being retired, I can't afford another one.

I will post anything new I find on the subject but between you and other contributors, hopefully my questions will be answered.

Thanks Again,
Sam

Collapse -
A couple years later - VB6 and Windows 7 work great together
by vb_yahoo / April 21, 2012 2:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Sam.

Hi Sam, Bob, and others. I know this is an older post but I thought I would update it since there is some mis-information on this thread. VB6 does in fact work great with Windows 7. That said you do have to play by some of the new rules Microsoft has put in place for security purposes. Most notably you need to run the VB6 IDE in admin mode and you need to make sure your programs are either also ran in admin mode or only interact with files and resources they have permission for.

You don't have to take my word for it though. VB6.us has a great article that explains these things in detail and even "proves" it works with their most popular sample apps:
http://www.vb6.us/tutorials/windows-7-vb6-good-or-no-good

Collapse -
VB6, Aero, and VMs...
by John.Wilkinson / May 21, 2009 2:45 AM PDT

-> Aero is the new graphical interface of Windows Vista and Windows 7, with the 'glass' look being its most noticeable characteristic. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are designed to automatically disable Aero features (reverts to 'Aero Basic' mode) when you launch an application that does not support them.

-> I moved to .NET during the Windows XP days so I cannot comment on compatibility issues except to state that any that existed with Windows Vista will likely exist with Windows 7.

-> The "Windows XP Mode" is actually a pre-configured virtual machine running a copy of Windows XP. It will only be available for Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions, but nearly any application that runs under Windows XP will run under Windows 7 in Windows XP Mode.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Window 7 xp Shell and VB6 Enterprise excutable
by seanlorber / February 21, 2010 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: VB6, Aero, and VMs...

Hello.

I have 2 questions.

1. Is a compiled executable able to run in windows Vista/7? I do not need to run the VB development package from anything but a dedicated xp system.

2. If windows 7 can't run this executable how much slower is the xp emulator under windows 7 then running on a dedicated xp system?

Thanks in advance

Collapse -
About XP MODE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 10:11 PM PST

And MS Virtual PC. I have the requisite Intel CPU with VTx (see google) and it runs fine. Be sure to try it.
Bob

Collapse -
Sam, Just tried it here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2009 5:09 AM PDT

It did install and complained many times about "known compatibility issues" which I'll let you research.

VB6 on launch gets an "Automation error Error accessing the OLE registry" which you can now research and see if that matters to you.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 7 and VB 6
by SamCec / May 23, 2009 5:20 AM PDT

Bob:

Thank you very much for your time and effort. I will now do my homework. Just off the cuff, it looks like I might be staying with Windows XP Professional SP3.

If I recall, I remember reading somewhere the Microsoft will support a product for 7 to 10 years after a new release. If that's true, I should be okay. Within 5 years, I'll be in my 70's and who knows if I still want to do this stuff. I do enjoy PC's, I use to teach many main-frame and PC courses throughout my professional career. Besides, doing things on the PC keeps the mind active.

I'm getting off the subject so I will end but again, thank you.
Sam

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2009 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 and VB 6

I hear you. My old VB6 apps are still in use. However I am also writing for Windows Mobile and for that I took the leap from C (yes, C. No +, ++ or #) to C# on Visual Studio 2008. I'm working on my presentation for next week about the changes.

The only gripe some will have is the cost. The old compiler and IDE was 55 bucks a seat. The new VS2008 runs 1K MSRP (the cover price.)

But the luxurious Corinthian leather trim, smell, power windows, and more debugging than I'll ever need makes the transition a lot smoother.
Bob

Collapse -
win 7 & vb6
by bdiscount / April 11, 2010 1:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 and VB 6

I am in my late 70s and I just installed VB 6 on Win 7 Works fine a little trouble with MSDN(Finding it the file system seems to be different. I just wanted to let you know VB6 works on 7 but I don't think it will work on the next system good Luck

Collapse -
VB6 on Windows 7
by richard506 / May 7, 2010 5:19 AM PDT
In reply to: win 7 & vb6

Glad to see that VB6 works on Windows 7. My question is whether it will compile an exe. And if it does, will that exe run on Windows XP or earlier???

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2010 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: VB6 on Windows 7

Yes it does. Sorry that all the above missed that.

However I've encountered a few thought their app should run because it compiled. Let's hope that is not the question.

Also, VB6 apps may need to use an installer since DLLs and more may be required. I think the new VS2008/2010 .NET addresses this cleanly.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry, doesn't work
by JerryKatz / February 7, 2012 4:42 AM PST
In reply to: VB6 on Windows 7

My VB6 compiles program works without fail on Win7. However, if I use the VB compiler on a Win7 machine and try to use it on an XP machine, it wont run. Any answers out there?

Collapse -
Plenty but this is an old discussion
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2012 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry, doesn't work

And your post is new and sounds like you didn't package your app for installation.

Why I wrote this was just last week a new VB6 writer was trying to distribute just the final EXE and was failing hard.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Windows 7 with Visual Basic 6
by dwirch / June 23, 2009 12:04 AM PDT

FWIW, I've had some pretty ok success installing on VB6 on Windows 7. After Googling around, I found bits and pieces of information, and was able to piece it together and get a working installation.

I found your post last night, and thought I'd share the process. I've documented the process here:

http://www.fortypoundhead.com/showcontent.asp?artid=20502

Enjoy!

Collapse -
No problem
by J Hook / February 15, 2010 4:02 AM PST

I've been running VB6 enterprise on W7 for 3 months now with no problems, I had read somewhere that Microsoft say's its OK but the next version of Windows won't handle it

Collapse -
VB6 and Vista/EWindows 7 compatibility
by zapvolt / August 22, 2010 1:19 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

Do not believe that VB6 is fully compatible with Windows 7. I thought it was until I used my VB6 program a lot and some strange things started happening. For example, a GET from a Random Access file runs fine, until you ask it again for one of the retrieved variables from the GET, and suddenly it's from a different record. Detailed graphics code sometimes skips the last few steps in the procedure. None of these problems occur in the interpreter mode, but are found only when the code is compiled. If the same compiled code is run in the XP SP3 compatibility mode the problems do not occur. I tell my clients to run the executable in the XP compatibility mode, but they do not like the UAC prompt that occurs before the code executes. The problems appear in the executed code running under Vista and Windows 7 (64) bit. I have not tested Windows 7 32 bit

Collapse -
Windows 7 with Visual Basic 6
by WinOutreach / September 13, 2010 1:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7 with Visula Basic 6
by zapvolt / September 13, 2010 1:36 AM PDT

MS has indicated compatibility with VB6 from the beginning, but this is not always true. Uncomplicated short programs are compatible, programs of considerable length and with graphics seem to be the exception. Please see my earlier post.

Collapse -
Windows 7 with Visula Basic 6
by treddie / January 15, 2012 8:09 PM PST

I agree zapvolt. I am noticing that with complex apps, strange things do occur SEEM to occur under Win7. For instance I have been debugging a program and noticed that DoEvents statements seem to intermittently mess up the "call" stack. I find that when I exit a sub, it does not always return to the point that called it, and often times ends up going back to seemingly random spots in the code. I do not recall running into this issue on WinXP, and need to do more testing to verify it's not me making stupid mistakes in my old age. Grin

I have also noticed strange behavior with Dir1.Path = Drive1.Drive. A drive with a volume label such as "MyDrive" will make the Drive1.Drive string read, for example, "d:\ [MyDrive]". When this string gets passed to Dir1.Path, it can't interpret it correctly and defaults to the last known legit pathname on d:\, whatever that happened to be at the time.

It may all be a simple matter of running in XP Compatibility Mode.

Collapse -
That call stack thing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 3:17 AM PST

Was vaguely a Service Pack item if I recall. Is SP6 for VB6 installed?

Collapse -
Sorry
by markkm / January 16, 2012 6:25 PM PST

Sorry i don't know about it.

Collapse -
VB6 Programming
by VB6-Programming / November 17, 2014 1:45 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.