Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Wireless Password Issues

by CassilineKnight / October 23, 2009 9:50 AM PDT

Okay so I got Windows 7 Professional for $30 for the main computer at my apartment. This computer was previously running Vista 32 Bit I believe. So I looked it up and found the thread to overcome THAT issue.

Created the ISO, burned it, installed Win7, and I thought that everything had gone smoothly.

HOWEVER after the initial setup I went to the bottom right to connect wirelessly to my Linksys router (WRT610N) and I chose to connect. It asked for the password of course and I put in what I thought was the right password. It said that it wasn't correct.

So I went into my file folders and looked it up to be doubly sure I was typing in the right words. And I was. Yet it still kept saying that it was "incorrect". I then plugged in an ethernet cable from the router to the back of the computer and of course the internet was flowing again.

However I don't want to use that cable. The wireless was working just fine with Vista and now it's not. There are 2 other laptops here (mine and my brothers right now) and both of them were able to disconnect and reconnect using the password we had created.

Just to make sure that it wasn't something to do with the router I logged into the router's homepage went into wireless security tab and changed the password. I then saved it.

Tried reconnecting with all 3 machines. The laptops had no issues but the Windows 7 machine is the one that refuses to connect wirelessly.

Am I doing something wrong? Or could something have gone wrong with the installation? I haven't entered a product key in yet and I have NOT activated Windows 7 yet? Could that be the issue?

Also keep in mind that I have already run Microsoft Update multiple times to get the latest drivers. When I go to HP though there is a higher version number for the wireless adapter driver. I tried to download it but I got an error message. It said that, "the computer does not have the hardware/software required for this driver" or something like that. Error # 9998. This is an HP error code btw. As far as drivers are concerned I did a clean install of Windows 7 and formatted the partition that had Vista on the desktop. I left the "Factory Image" partition just in case.

So I disabled the security for my router.

And then I tried connecting on the desktop that has Windows 7. And it WORKS.

So what's the issue though? Does Windows 7 not like passwords or something? Again I promise you guys that I was entering in the right passphrase.

Again though it was asking for "network security key"? Is that different that the passphrase that Vista asked for?

If anyone knows anything that can clear this mystery I would greatly appreciate it.

I do not feel comfortable at all with my network being unsecured.

@ Dans

I turned off earlier today after my last post and went to classes. I just got back, turned it on, tried connecting with the passphrase I had chosen after resetting it. Still didn't work. THEN I disabled the security and I was able to connect.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Wireless Password Issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Wireless Password Issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your wireless
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 10:21 AM PDT

Have you tried resetting the modem to it's factory defaults? If not, then try that. After resetting, then go through the connection and security setup routines again. If there isn't a driver issue with your LAN port on the computer then this should work.

Collapse -
I've already addressed that! Please READ my post carefully.
by CassilineKnight / October 23, 2009 10:37 AM PDT

Did you not read my entire post?

I've already gotten it to CONNECT without any security on the network.

I want to be able to secure my wireless network. For some unknown reason it's not working though with Windows 7.

I've ALREADY RESET the router. I've tried that. I've tried resetting the router. Okay so I've said that 3 times.

I've tried 3 different passwords under WPA-Personal with AES encryption.

EVERY TIME I ENTER IN THE NEW PASSWORD I get this error message...

"The key or passphrase is incorrect"

Collapse -
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 10:39 AM PDT

Don't jump down my throat when I'm trying to help. Now you can figure it out for yourself.

Collapse -
Ummm okay
by CassilineKnight / October 23, 2009 10:57 AM PDT
In reply to: nt

First off you're not I didn't jump down your throat.

2nd you'd be annoyed too if you took all that time to write out in clear english what's going on.

What you've done. What you think might be wrong.

And then some random person just walks in and immediately posts questions/statements without even bothering to read the first post....

Collapse -
I am
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 11:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Ummm okay

I am tealcat. Have been for years. You come off as a hnow it all, so figure out what I was talking about on a driver issue.. Remember, you have a brand new OS for which drivers are still in the development stages. Pointing out an obvious clue that your machine has an issue is the fact that 2 other machines are able to connect, while your's can't. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Collapse -
by CassilineKnight / October 23, 2009 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I am

Except if I "knew it all" I wouldn't be on here asking for help now would I?

Seems to me like you just don't care to read what I said. Or perhaps you just don't know the answer. Which is fine. Anyways later. Hopefully someone else will read what I've posted and be able to assist me.

Collapse -
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok...

With your attitude? I doubt it. And I did read every word you wrote. Every solution to a problems requires eliminating areas that could be contributing factors. If you don't want to listen to suggestions, then you shouldn't be asking for help. Good day to you sir.

Collapse -
Security Key is different.
by bowacl / October 23, 2009 1:37 PM PDT

On my Win 7 laptop which I connect to several different kinds of secured networks I use a security key which is not a passphrase - on my work network I think when I did the passphrase it generated 4 (or how ever amt I choose to connect) security keys for me to use a different one for each laptop that connects to it. My current home security is WPA-2-Personal and I used a generated key from the router after entering in the pin of the Belkin router. My previous set up was WEP - shorter key needed but not as secure and I had it set up where the same key was used by all wireless computers in the house. I have never had a problem hooking to ones that broadcast and even ones that do not, all I need is the SSID name. In short there are many combinations at work here so hard to say which is your problem. It maybe easier if you set up the router to WEP and one security key needed for all that connect to get it off the ground, if that works you know it's a combination of the higher security and passphrase/security key issues.

>>Again though it was asking for "network security key"? Is that different that the passphrase that Vista asked for?<<

Collapse -
Me too ...
by ray_gti-r / November 5, 2009 11:50 AM PST

I totally sympathise with CassilineKnight.

I, too, have spent time (months) trying to solve this sort of wireless problem - without sucess.

Micrsoft needs to get a blank sheet of paper and a pencil, then start again with it's solution for wireless networking under Windows.

To paraphrase ... I don't care if the actual problem is with drivers, hardware or whatever. A simple error message defining the precise point at issue and the precise solution (with a link to that solution) is required.

Even better ... solve the issue automatically!

Irrelevant advice (workarounds, try this, have you tried that) are unwelcome & unwanted. More complaints to Microsoft needed! I suspect AV im my specific case but ... impossible to prove without supporting (Windows) evidence. QED

Collapse -
The paper and pencil
by bowacl / November 5, 2009 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Me too ...

is needed by the router maker not Microsoft, if you are unable to connect to a piece of hardware that hardware should supply the information about the problem. Since it began home networking has been a sore spot. I switch out computers often here and have dealt with my fair share of it.

On another note - posting questions on the discussions is a hit or miss way to find solutions to your problems, becoming combative doesn't solve the problem, if someone suggests something you have already tried then it is polite just to wait until someone may post something that does. If you do not want unwanted advice it is best not to post the question at all because it is possible suggestions may not help you but then again maybe some are helped so maybe the risk is worth taking. Some times getting the ball rolling on a problem comes up with the solution along the way.

On the other hand I can relate to computer problems frustrating people since I deal with this all the time but just because you are having a problem doesn't mean you should lash out at others over it, remember it is your problem, the person giving the suggestions is not there to help you fix it so may ask questions to get the idea of what may help.

Collapse -
Irrelevant advice (workarounds, try this, have you tried
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2009 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Me too ...

"Irrelevant advice (workarounds, try this, have you tried that) are unwelcome & unwanted."

Ouch. When you encounter folk that want that then the discussion can't end well. Maybe the Windows PC is not acceptable here. Maybe you need to try that other major maker?

Collapse -
Redo the security and put in whatever password you want.
by orlbuckeye / November 5, 2009 9:18 PM PST

You probably should delete that wireless connection and let it recreate itself with the new password. It's not Windows 7 the message your getting is from the router. Remember passwords are case sensitive.

Collapse -
Fixed It.
by CassilineKnight / November 5, 2009 11:16 PM PST

Umm I fixed this issue ages ago. Without any help from anyone on Cnet.

It's kinda sad how little people on here know and how wish washy people are. I speelt out CLEARLY:

1) What was wrong
2) What I had tried
3) What I thought MIGHT be wrong
4) My Computer Specs
5) Current Wireless Connection
6) How I installed Windows 7

So one can't say I haven't tried to provide all the info that might help fix the situation.

In the end though I think MS and other companies need to work together to fix wireless issues like this.

I've deselected this thread as one to keep track of. So I'm done and over with it. However feel free to keep posting in it or a mod can close doesn't matter to me.

I do find it amusing though that when I first posted no one wanted to help. And then I get a deluge of random emails from Cnet weeks after the issue started.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2009 12:14 AM PST

Locking this one.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.