Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Will Not Show Full Screen

by craigtheairplaneman / April 12, 2011 3:11 PM PDT

Hi there:

Starting a few hours ago out of nowhere my computer screen will only enlarge to about 90 percent regardless of the browser (Firefox and Internet Explorer) and even software programs such as music editing or anti virus.

I have a Toshiba Dual Core Windows 7 with Norton 360/C Cleaner/Spybot that are run daily.

Please help.

Thank you,
CF

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Will Not Show Full Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Will Not Show Full Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toshiba what?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 12, 2011 9:54 PM PDT

Laptop or Desktop?

If it is a Desktop, have you tried adjusting the monitor settings? Monitors have their own settings buttons.

Not sure about laptop screens.

Mark

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / April 13, 2011 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba what?

Hi Mark:

It is a laptop (but I use it as a desktop, always plugged in and never portable).

If anyone has an answer it is appreciated.

Thank you,
CF

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / April 13, 2011 12:08 AM PDT

Hi again Mark:

Sorry it is a Toshiba Satellite L505.

Thanks,
CF

Collapse -
Well I don't see any monitor settings
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 13, 2011 6:06 AM PDT

on the screen itself, so this must be some setting or other in Windows itself.

When you say the "computer screen will only enlarge to about 90 percent regardless of the browser" what do you mean?

Does the Desktop background image, (the image you see when there are no programs open), fill the screen, or is that smaller than it should be? Does the Taskbar fill the whole of the bottom of the screen from left to right?

If that Desktop background image fills the screen but browser windows do not, have you tried the Maximise button? What happens when you drag the edges of the browser windows to make the window larger?

Mark

Collapse -
Finding the scaling settings.
by nagahota / July 13, 2011 12:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 7 Full Screen Not Showing
by craigtheairplaneman / July 13, 2011 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Toshiba what?

Hi Mark:

The monitor settings did not help. Issue started with an installation of Firefox (an update from them) and even uninstalling and re-installing did not help.

Thank you,
CF

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / July 13, 2011 2:50 AM PDT

Hi Mark:

When I talk about the screen enlarging to about 90 percent think of it this way.

The browser is open and everything South, east, and and west is fine. Going North on the top the browser runs out and you see some of the desktop. You are able to have all the tool bars you want in Firefox/
Internet Explorer but you can get the screen to go all the way north (up) to the last 10 percent.

Thank you,
Craig

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / July 13, 2011 2:52 AM PDT

Hi Nagahota:

Thanks for suggestion. I can try this when I get home much later.

All the best,
Craig

Collapse -
I'm not sure that link helps
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 13, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

Sorry for the delay getting back.

This is strange. You are saying that, without any windows open, the Desktop background image is Full Screen.

But when you open a window, any window for any application, it is not full screen.

Did you try the "Maximise" button top right of the window, (whichever application you are using)?

An update to Firefox would not have affected the screen display.

Is this an Aero thing? Windows 7 use Aero display which makes the top bottom and edges of any window translucent. In maximised windows the left, right and bottom edges are not really noticeable, but the top "Header" of any application will still be translucent, that is, you can see through it and see the darkened desktop image beneath the window.

If this is Aero, then yo can change the translucency. Go to Start and in the search box type in Aero. In the list, click "Windows Color and Appearance".

Does that solve it?

Mark

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / July 13, 2011 7:10 AM PDT

Hi Mark:

Thanks for the advice.

I'll try when I get home.

I do believe it had something to do with the Firefox update because there was no issue before and I am a fanatic running anti virus/anti spyware/malware.

Thank you so much,
CF

Collapse -
fixed ?
by tenjohn23 / August 23, 2011 1:36 PM PDT

hi there,
i have the same problem and i don't use firefox. i use google chrome so its must not be the browser update
so has it been fixed..??
i have a dell xps 15z..

Collapse -
Laptop Monitor
by JCP011 / September 14, 2011 11:06 AM PDT

CF,

I too am experiencing the same problem as yourself. However, when my Inspiron 7110 (intel graphics 3000) starts up, everything is fine. The problem starts when I use Windows system tools. (ie Ctrl Alt Del, Changing the view hidden files etc..)

I noticed your post is from a while ago; have you found any solution?

Thanks

JP

Collapse -
by craigtheairplaneman / September 14, 2011 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop Monitor

Hi JP:

Thanks for the post.

To this day nobody has come up with a reason/solution.

It is frustrating that no expert has been able to ascertain what to do.

Have a great Thursday,
CF

Collapse -
Have a reason but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 14, 2011 2:16 PM PDT

The L505 is a series and without the exact model I wait for the final detail.

If I missed it, sorry. Just add it again.
Bob

Collapse -
Possible screen solution
by JCP011 / September 15, 2011 3:20 AM PDT

Hello CF,

I posted yesterday regarding your screen problem and the fact that I had the identical problem.

Do you have a data backup program on your computer? My Dell came preinstalled with a program Called Dell Datasafe which basically creates a backup of your hard drive to return your computer back to its factory condition.

After 2.5 hours on the phone with Dell support (2 issues), they finally advised me to remove the Datasafe program. Although I cannot see or understand how this could have been the offending program; sure enough after removing it, my monitor problem was resolved.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jim

Collapse -
Scrren Size
by craigtheairplaneman / September 15, 2011 6:49 AM PDT

Hi Jim:

Glad you got the issue resolved.

Could you find out please if you have time how a data base back-up could fix the issue?

I'm not sure if I have one or not.

Have the best day,
CF

Collapse -
Screen Size
by JCP011 / September 15, 2011 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Scrren Size

CF,

Not quite sure what a backup program has to do with changing the size of the active desktop,; alI know is that it worked.

Most computers these days that do not supply the original operating system (Windows 7) on a DVD, have a program that will perform a backup and launch a restore in case of a unrecoverable system. Some backup to disks while others have a seperate partition on your hard drive.

Judging by your computer description, I would guess that it is relatively new, therefore it would probably have some type of backup software installed.

Do you have the orignal Windows 7 DVD? If not then you certainly have some type of backup and restore software installed.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Jim

Collapse -
Windows Computer Screen will only enlarge 90 percent
by craigtheairplaneman / September 15, 2011 12:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Screen Size

Hi Jim:

Was never given any back-up disc/DVD with the system.

Thank you for asking,
CF

Collapse -
You are not given said media. You make it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 15, 2011 1:08 PM PDT

But as the exact model can't be found I could not offer much more help.

Let's hope you create the restore media before it's required.
Bob

Collapse -
same window issue with Win 7
by kairu85 / September 25, 2011 1:17 PM PDT

I am also experiencing the top of my browser/program *besides gaming* being shrunk just a sliver exposing my desktop background. yes, it goes start of my LCD screen, desktop wallpaper background, then all my browsers/programs. Aero is off, transparency is not the issue, and of course it is maximized. If only I could post a picture. I'm also not asking to zoom in. I'm experiencing this on firefox, IE and chrome as well as any window I maximize does not go beyond this centimeter gap at the top. Everything to the right, left, and bottom are as they should be. it is not my monitor's resolution either. I have a dell 8300 XPS and I don't think removing the data recovery program should work as the first post owns a toshiba.

Collapse -
Screen
by JCP011 / September 25, 2011 9:11 PM PDT

Kairu85,

If it is a Dell you have, then removing Datasafe will fix the probem. At worst you can always reinstall the Datasafe program at some point in time.

Jim

Collapse -
i'm suffering from the same
by ratkutti / March 21, 2013 12:09 AM PDT

i've made a blog post about the same problem and have even uploaded a screencapture video of it, hope some one helps us CF. Here's the link.

Collapse -
Old post, old issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

This issue has been seen before and every time I've had to repeat the maker's instructions on installing drivers and helper apps.

It does not appear to be a Microsoft Windows bug. But let's step back a second here. Your average user can't tell where the issue is and makers are usually unclear on how to install the OS much less how to repair it short of a reload.

This is one of the reasons folk seem to be moving onto tablets and more.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.