Windows 7 forum

Question

windows 7 site pages

by kylesgranma / December 8, 2012 8:03 AM PST

Whenever I go to most sites there are places on the page that are covered with other blocks on the page.It is like the page is squeezed up and not enough room for all the information. I have zoomed in and out but it makes no difference.Today I went to the Coke site and was unable to log in because the log in square was covered.I don't know how else to explain this.It happens with newsletter links also.These are not ads,but part of the page.I have windows 7 ultimate and use Fire Fox as my browser.It does not happen with Chrome

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows 7 site pages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows 7 site pages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Use CTRL and - keys to shrink the display
by wpgwpg / December 8, 2012 8:08 AM PST
In reply to: windows 7 site pages

When you run into this problem, just hold down the CTRL key and press the - key. That will shrink what's in the window. If need be, you can keep doing it. CTRL+ does the opposite. It's just temporary until you restart the browser.

Good luck.

Collapse -
windows 7 pages
by kylesgranma / December 8, 2012 8:19 PM PST

Thank you for trying, but that is like zooming in or out. Does not help. Just shrinks the whole page.The problem is still there.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: pages
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 8:32 PM PST
In reply to: windows 7 site pages

If it happens in Firefox and not in Chrome (did you already try Internet Explorer?) it's unlikely to be a Windows 7 problem. That's easy to confirm by running Firefox from a Ubuntu disk.

- What's the resolution of your monitor (like 800x600, 1920x1080?).
- Do you have a link, so I can look myself?

Different browsers can 'render' a html-page in different ways. That has nothing to do with your OS, but with the way the page is coded on one side and your display on the other side.
If such happens, and we can't change the site, we use another browser. And you might contact the webmaster of the site to complain about it.

But first, I'd like to have look myself.

Kees

Collapse -
Window 7
by kylesgranma / December 8, 2012 9:25 PM PST
In reply to: Re: pages

I tried IE and the same thing happens,but like I said Chrome is fine. I do not know what Ubuntu disk is and I do not know if I have a link for you to check my computer. I did go and change my resolution to smaller, but that did not help.The resolution was set on medium.This does not happen on just one site,and sometimes it is words that are overlapping other words. Makes it hard to read them.Now what?I do appreciate your help.

Collapse -
Re: link
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 8, 2012 9:33 PM PST
In reply to: Window 7

I don't want to check your computer, of course.

I would like to see such a site on my computer, so I can experiment. The login page of that Coke site you mentioned would be fine. And another page with overlapping words would be fine also. So that's 2 links. Just copy/paste them from the address bar of Firefox into your answer.

And with resolution I meant the number of pixels of your screen. You can see that by right clicking on an empty part of the desktop, choose properties and look in one of the tabs you see (from head, the last one). That's common in WIndows XP. In Windows 7 I even have a 'screen resolution' entry in the right click menu, that shows it directly, but that might be dependent on the graphics driver also. So you might have to search a little bit to find it. But it surely is somewhere.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows 7
by kylesgranma / December 9, 2012 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re: link
Collapse -
Re link
by kylesgranma / December 9, 2012 3:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: link
Collapse -
Re link
by kylesgranma / December 9, 2012 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re link
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.