Windows 7

Question

Windows 7 shutdown problems plus ??

by dime21 / November 29, 2011 11:01 PM PST

I have a new HP pavilion PC and have only installed a couple of very basic programs(firefox,itunes, photoimpact), but intermittently windows 7 (64 bit) will not shutdown (hangs forever on shutting down screen).I did uncheck most of the startup stuff but not all, in msconfig.
Also any recommended settings changes to make this machine run cleaner? I had hoped it came with a Cd so I could do a clean install of only the OS, but no such luck.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 shutdown problems plus ??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 shutdown problems plus ??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
With HP Computers You Create Your Own Recovery Disc
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 30, 2011 12:06 AM PST

Do it from withing the Control Panel-Backup and Restore-Create a system image section. In addition, most HP computers also have a hidden recovery partition which allows you to reinstall everything back to its original factory state. Research the procedure for using the recovery partition at the HP website.. It's generally fairly simple.. Press the F11 or F10 key when the computer is booting up and the recovery partition options are displayed.. It WILL wipe any personal documents from the computer, so be sure you've got backups.

As to the shut down problems, start by eliminating any unnecessary startup programs and services.. All those extra startup programs and services are required to close before the computer shuts down. If they conflict during closing, the computer will freeze and fail to shut down quickly. You mentioned that you've already taken some of those steps, but you'll need to identify the culprit programs causing the lockup.. Try UNCHECKING all the programs in "msconfig" and see if it helps. If so, then go back and start rechecking the times, one by one, till you find the problem program. Frequently, I start thinking "security programs" first. Programs like Norton commonly cause such issues.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
Solution for Windows 7 shutdown problems
by michelle_denise / December 5, 2011 3:27 PM PST

I see the above problem was addressed here almost a year ago but still has not been fixed after all this time.

With all due respect I have searched the web for this problem and seen
HUNDREDS of solutions. They all seem to point to a different driver as
the culprit.

All I can say is if a hundred different cars bounce when they go over a
specific pothole, the problem is not with the cars, it's with the
pothole. And if a hundred different drivers have a problem with Windows
7, then it's safe to assume the problem is with
Windows and not the drivers.

Humbly suggest Microsoft hire programmers who know enough to make
Windows 7 do fundamental things like shutting down a machine without
incident.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove unrelated site promotion on 12/06/2011 at 5:14 AM PT

Collapse -
Almost a year?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 5, 2011 7:42 PM PST

Not what I see. The OP posted on Nov 30 2011.

I've asked for your link to be removed. It isn't relevant to this discussion.

You may well have seen hundreds of solutions on the internet. "Shutdown" problems can be caused by many things and each Windows computer affected may have different causes.

My own Win 7 system rarely has shutdown problems so I dispute that this is an inherent error in Windows. When it does have problems I research my own system to find the cause and that will always be some factor other than Windows.

Without knowing more about your system and your problem I fear little advice can be given. But pointers may be found in the Event Viewer, or in Running Processes. MSCONFIG is a good place to search as well, for all those 3rd party Startup applications that don't need to be there. On my system I also find heat can be an issue. My system is top of the range and runs hot. If I let it run too hot and don't have adequate air flow, I sometimes see Windows fail to shutdown correctly. I keep the air flow free of obstruction, keep the dust out, and sometimes simply remove the side panel to allow the system to run cooler.

But then that is my own system. Yours may be different.

Mark

Collapse -
It's a new PC with very few programs, so one more query...
by dime21 / December 21, 2011 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: Almost a year?

Is is "safe" to remove startup programs or processes from Microsoft from the msconfig menu? I worry the PC won't boot properly if I try this. thanks!

Collapse -
No it is not something that you do without research.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 12:37 AM PST

You have a good question so let me answer it with another.

Do you think it's time for a new Windows where you can't break it?

There are a few lines of thought here. Allow us to do what we want even if the OS breaks or to disallow anything that results in non-operation.

An example could be a XBox. Very hard to break it by any option in the menus.
Bob

Collapse -
Agree with Bob
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 5:10 AM PST

Never use MSCONFIG to shut down Services. To do that, head over to the Services Console, (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).

But even then, don't disable Services until you have researched them.

Startup programs can be disabled from MSCONFIG, but generally not Microsoft ones. You don't end Processes from there anyway, but from the Task Manager, and again, only after research.

BlackViper is a good place to start researching Services for Windows 7 which has Service Pack 1 installed. The table on that page lists all the known ones.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.