Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 running very slow???

by quests1 / November 8, 2010 4:01 AM PST

Hi all, my own laptop (HP Pavillion) which is running Windows 7, has 3gb ram and 320gb hard drive has decided to throw a wobbly and is now running very slow. I have made sure that AVG 2011 is up to date, windows defender has also run a scan, Firewall is switched on, and i have downloaded the latest 64bit Java update. I have also noticed today for the first time that the HP tune up can no longer download its updates or run a scan??? Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 running very slow???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 running very slow???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you write you have 2 active protection softwares?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 5:53 AM PST

I find that I can only use one at a time. Otherwise it can slow down. And what can really throw people for a loop is "it worked before."
Bob

Collapse -
Worth a look
by bob b / November 8, 2010 7:13 AM PST

Start>control panel>action center>security.

Multiple entries under the headings of firewall/av/spyware might not be a good thing.

Collapse -
Windows 7 running very slow???
by quests1 / November 8, 2010 9:28 PM PST
In reply to: Worth a look

Hi guys, many thanks for your input. My main antivirus program is AVG 2011 which is running in the background, and that Windows defender is only switched on once a week to run a scan. The Windows Firewall is always on as suggested by Microsoft, so I have tried uninstalling recently installed programs, but still no joy. I have even taken it back four weeks hoping that that might cure the problem, but no, it is still as slow. ????

Collapse -
Then as a test, uninstall AVG.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2010 11:46 PM PST

AVG and many other products have caused slowdowns. BUT your reply didn't reveal if AVG was at the time performing a scan of the drive.

I'm finding owners that are unaware what a background virus scan is or how it affects performance. A lower percentage can't configure the software products!
Bob

Collapse -
Uninstall AVG?
by quests1 / November 9, 2010 12:46 AM PST

Bob, you mention uninstalling AVG. firstly, AVG was not running at the time as I have it set to scan at a set time every day. Secondly, I re-installed AVG when my 30 day trial ran out and replaced it with the free version. There was no difference in the performance at the time. (five weeks ago) I have installed the Malware software which the other Bob mentioned, but nothing detrimental was found.

I have now re-installed all the HP drivers to see if any of those were at fault, but again, no joy. Bill.

Collapse -
Sorry I missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: Uninstall AVG?

I couldn't tell if you uninstalled AVG for a test. Since there is no loss and you can reinstall the free version again this makes a good test.

The HP TUNE UP failure happened here too. You can't read too much into that one. Try a scan with Hitman Pro as it sometimes find things the others don't.

AGAIN, I don't see a full list of what's running. For example, Skype, Zone Alarm and the list is far too long to type can interact unexpectedly to create a slow machine. Tell the forum about "everything."

Bob

Collapse -
Well
by bob b / November 8, 2010 10:31 PM PST
Collapse -
malware
by quests1 / November 9, 2010 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Well

Bob, I did as you suggested, and downloaded and then installed the Malware program. I then ran the program but it found nothing. However, something strange is now happening to my laptop. I had an error message saying that my battery was weak and needed replacing. very strange as I always use my laptop on battery and only charge it up when it is required. (Had the laptop just nine months )I removed the battery and I am now using the laptop on AC only, and the problems seem to have stopped???. When I fit the battery back onto the laptop, after about three to four minutes, it slows down again??? Weird or what!

Collapse -
That's a fine clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: malware

On battery there is a thing that happens to reduce the CPU speed. This can have all the effects noted above and with both HP and Microsoft making changes it is possible they reduced the clock rate further to extend battery life.

--> But you are heading towards a problem by using your battery like that. Here's why. The stock battery is a 300 cycle battery. That's just one year for most of us. Yes you can see many get 18 months out of such use but at 180 bucks for a new battery are you sure it's worth 10 bucks a month for running on that battery?
Bob

Collapse -
Recharging battery???
by quests1 / November 9, 2010 5:16 AM PST
In reply to: That's a fine clue.

Bob, I was always told to charge the battery fully, then use it until it only had approx 10% life left. In the handbook it says the same, so how should I use it please.

Collapse -
That's outdated advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Recharging battery???

Rather than repeat the web, the real issue I see is that you are using the battery. It does not matter if you use it full to 10%, the problem I see is that you might be using the battery when AC is available. There are only so much life available and while you might get 10% more life by one use model or another that use could make it get 330 cycles versus 300.

So you add one month to the battery life.

However if you left it on AC there are few if any charge/discharge cycles happening so no real loss in battery life.

Your choice!
Bob

Collapse -
Battery life?
by quests1 / November 9, 2010 10:42 PM PST

Bob,

Many thanks for the info about the battery, I will leave it on AC from now on. Question though, will the AC adaptor not wear out sooner than later?
Bill.

Collapse -
You can continue with that train of thought
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2010 11:13 PM PST
In reply to: Battery life?

And say the same thing for the laptop. There is a problem with laptops and it is simple. They look (and it's true) to have lower lifespans than a desktop. While we have laptops plugged in 24x7 at the office for years the good news is that we have yet to replace the AC adapter. Of course that's only a few hundred laptops and not a big enough sample size for statistics.
Bob

Collapse -
Strange things happening now?
by quests1 / November 10, 2010 1:06 AM PST

Bob, sorry to keep bothering you, but my laptop is doing strange things this afternoon. I have a gadget dual clock on display at the side (CPU Speed & RAM) and the RAM tends to stay at around 90% upto 99% as it is now while I am typing this reply. The CPU is showing between 60% and rising to around 82%. When I want to open another window, the RAM is showing 97% and hovers between 90% and 97% and then screen freezes for several minutes. So even though I have removed the battery, I am now getting some more problems. I am getting more confused now as AVG is not running any scans, I do not have Zone Alarm or anything else running in the background. ?? I have had to force a shutdown three times to re-set the computer as when I try to close it down, I get a very brief message saying something like AMD CCC Caputuring window cannot close down. This is a new message which I have not seen before.

Bill.

Collapse -
Nice clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 1:13 AM PST
Collapse -
your windows runs slow
by ICO1959 / November 10, 2010 4:46 AM PST

your windows 7 runs slow, yes it does. remove all security programs on your laptop and leave only windows defender. your security programs are crushing your system, uninstall them. but do NOT turn off the defender. promise you the windows will be like new born babe Wink

Collapse -
Seems strange advice given the last finding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2010 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: your windows runs slow

I can only guess you didn't get to post 16.

Collapse -
post 16
by quests1 / November 10, 2010 8:56 PM PST

Bob,

Yes I visited the web site mentioned although I do not play any games on my laptop, and have not installed any since I purchased it in February. I only use it now on AC mains but still getting the same problems now, I thought they had gone, but no, they are back again. Will maybe take it back to manufactures spec. and start all over again.
Bill.

Collapse -
That's another good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 11, 2010 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: post 16

You are starting to tell more as the discussion goes on.

What's not stock?

I've found folk will attempt to speed up a machine or hear "update your drivers" when the machine is working.

If there's a lesson here it's this -> "If a machine is working, don't fix it."
Bob

Collapse -
Firewall?
by robertguillegan / November 12, 2010 6:18 AM PST

It could be your firewall. Have you checked if your programs have been "exemptions"?

Collapse -
Firewall?
by quests1 / November 13, 2010 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: Firewall?

Robert, not sure what you mean by "Exemptions"??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.