Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 - Recording from sound card

by vsbsubramanian / January 2, 2010 8:42 AM PST

I am using Windows 7 Ultimate on Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop. I want to record streaming audio from internet using Audacity. I find that the list of recording devices in Audacity preferences setup does not contain sound card (or stereo mixer) or anything related to it. Right clicking Volume control icon in system tray and listing all recording devices (disabled and disconnected) does not show anything other than microphone. Is this a problem with Windows 7 or Inspiron 1440?

Balasubramanian VS

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 - Recording from sound card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 - Recording from sound card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unfortunately
by Jimmy Greystone / January 2, 2010 9:54 AM PST

Unfortunately what you're doing is a form of music piracy. So, we can't discuss it here. Sorry.

Now if you can show us written evidence that the streaming site in question explicitly allows for people to record copies of their stream, and all content played is either not copyrighted or the copyright holders have given their consent to the recording of the stream by people such as yourself... Well, that would change everything, but until then this is probably going to end up being locked.

Collapse -
Go here, they'll help you out
by oldermanmike / January 2, 2010 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: Unfortunately
Collapse -
Recording radio programs
by vsbsubramanian / January 2, 2010 8:02 PM PST

Thank you very much. I wanted to record some radio programs. I thought that they are in public domain once broadcast. Now I will bear in mind what you said about copyrights.

Balasubramanian VS

Collapse -
Nope
by Jimmy Greystone / January 2, 2010 9:27 PM PST

Nope, the radio stations pay a pretty hefty sum in order to be able to broadcast those songs. And without getting into all the politics of the subject, which I think are tipped way in favor of large businesses, you're NOT allowed to record those things.

Collapse -
Yep.
by Kees Bakker / January 2, 2010 9:33 PM PST
In reply to: Nope

I still remember me and my friends recording music from the radio on a tape recorder back in the 19-sixties. I had made an output for it on my transistor radio (that was how they were called then) from the 2 ends of the volume control pot. Worked very well.

That probably wasn't allowed either. But, then, nobody told us. There was no Internet to ask anybody, of course, so how could we have known.

I might still have the tapes somewhere. But no player to play them.

Kees

Collapse -
Unfortunately
by Jimmy Greystone / January 2, 2010 11:10 PM PST
In reply to: Yep.

Unfortunately, in most countries, ignorance of the law is not considered a valid excuse. Which seems kind of stupid IMO, but my opinion doesn't really count for much on the subject I'm afraid.

Collapse -
Copywrite
by RocketRider / March 21, 2010 11:14 AM PDT

If someone is recording music from a service that they are paying for and don't distribute it to anyone there should be no issues of copywriting. I've contacted the RIAA regarding the personal use of using music files and they indicated that by the letter of the law you shouldn't but realistically it is probably not a problem. The issue of copywriting is when someone distributes music files to many sources thus causing a reduction of sales for this product. However, this probably is a false assumption on the music industry's part in that all of the people that I know who copy stuff (software, music, etc.) would NEVER purchase these items anyway. They just love to copy 'stuff'. So from the music industry's perspective they haven't lost any revenue.

Personally I believe the music industry has made too much of an issue out of the copywrite law. Most of the music out there is garbage and with a life expectancy of 6 months or less (according to music industry officials). The markup for CD is excessive and the music industry even separates good songs from junk and forces consumers to purchase multiple disks to get the two or three songs they really want. These marketing practices I believe is what started all of the copying as the industry has been screwing the public (and still is) for years and years. Like everything else in life if I buy it I should be able to do as I please with it.

Collapse -
I have permission......
by Donum / November 2, 2011 9:31 AM PDT

I would like to know how to record with Windows 7 please, as I have permission from our national TV and radio station and local radio station to record some religious programmes for my website so long as I don't record or use the music from the shows, which I have never done. I just use what the pastor is saying. I have a new Acer emachine E528 and cannot get anything except the mic. I use Audacity. I can send an email to show the permission. My old computer died and now I cannot record. What to do? I would appreciate a response.

Collapse -
It's "fiddly"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 12:21 PM PDT

If you can't get it to work, cheat. Connect the audio out to a Y cable then loop back into the LINE IN jack and monitor with headphones or external speakers.

You can check the Audacity forums for other ideas but if you've fiddled long enough, you get wired.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Donum / November 6, 2011 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: It's "fiddly"

Thanks - I'm recording online....... I'm not sure how to do what you are saying above. I found freerecorder and it's great but I'd still like to use audacity with a stereo mix. I just need to know how to get stereo mix now and I'm all set. Many thanks.

Collapse -
Using Audacity
by Rider3 / January 3, 2010 12:21 AM PST

Control Panel... Sound... Recording Tab...
Right click on any entry, Show Disabled Devices, make sure Sterio Mix is enabled. Should work for you.

Collapse -
FREECORDER
by greg3rok / January 3, 2010 2:39 AM PST

Hi I just installed FREECORDER toolbar and recorded some stuff off the net go to freecorder.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.