Windows 7 forum

Windows 7 PROBLEMS! please help

by alejandroicruz / November 18, 2012 8:37 PM PST

I have windows 7 ultimate and my computer keeps restarting. everytime i turn it on it says "Windows has encountered a problem and will be restarting in one minuite" normally i can reslove problems like this but i dont have tiem to do anything on the computer since it restarts it in one minuite. please help.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 PROBLEMS! please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 PROBLEMS! please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Until you reveal more information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 6:24 AM PST

All I can offer is the PC needs repairs.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: startup problems
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 18, 2012 8:52 PM PST
Collapse -
the computer starts up
by alejandroicruz / November 19, 2012 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re: startup problems

i have no problem getting to my desktop its when im there a window pops up saying 'windows has encountered a citical problem and will restart in one minute'. after that it just resets and does the same again.

Collapse -
win 7 out of control
by NotGeeky / November 18, 2012 9:14 PM PST

The only thing I could suggest is to go to "all programs", type in run, a box opens, then type "msconfig" and check your settings, or even first restart, wait for black screen hold the "F8" key and put it in "repair my sytem/settings/computer, if that don't work try safe mode with connections then "Chat Live" with microsoft. I just tried to reformat w/out a disc for Win 7 Home" and chatted with one they're techs but it was a waste a time. I don't have the cd. But try all of that in that one minute you have. Just don't panick. It may take a couple of times, but it doesn't sound like anything major. It really sounds like your settings in the
backround somewhere. I still think it's in the "msconfig" from the run box. You could fix it yourself, but you are going to need time to fool with the settings when you don't know what your looking for. these systems can be a little intimidating, but with a little time and patients you can fix it. then when the time comes and if you can't fix it walk away before you really do damage. If you have the Original CD put it in there as it's booting up....

Collapse -
when i turn the computer on
by alejandroicruz / November 19, 2012 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: win 7 out of control

when it comes on i have little to no time to do anything. it says that 'windows has encountered a citical problem and will restart in one minute". i tried running msconfig but it didnt process in time. it started happening right after i download Microsoft security essentials.

Collapse -
then uninstall the software
by engtianxi / November 19, 2012 9:22 PM PST

If this happens, uninstall MSE and subscribe to N360. Go to for more information.

If this does not solve the problem, you should reinstall your OS using:

a) Windows 7 Ultimate installation disc
b) Your recovery partition
c) Your restore disc

Collapse -
Try Safe Mode
by wpgwpg / November 20, 2012 12:47 AM PST

Have you tried Safe Mode? To get into Safe Mode when you first power up, hit F8 about once a second until you get the menu and select Safe Mode.
Once there there're numerous things you can do. Have you checked for viruses and malware? Note that some can hide in normal mode, so you really need to check in Safe Mode.
If that fixes it, fine. If not, use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the beginning of the problem. To run System Restore, click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Click the box that says Show more restore points.
You can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.
Finally if all else fails, you can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be.
Good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.