Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7, please enlighten me with your opinions on this to be released OS

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 10, 2009 7:15 AM PDT
Question:

This may be a premature questions, but I would to know a bit more about Windows 7. For those who beta tested Windows 7 and/or are still currently running Windows 7, what is your opinion on Windows 7? Is it really better than Vista or worse? If better, how so? Are there more features? What new features can we expect to see? My current system is running Windows Vista, will I have to upgrade my hardware again to run 7? And last question, will you be upgrading to Windows 7 when it is released? Please enlighten me on anything you can for me and others who are curious and anticipating this new OS release. Thank for all your opinions and insights to these questions.

Submitted by: Enrique B.

Here are some featured member answers to get you started, but
please read all the advice and suggestions that our
members have contributed to this member's question.

It's not bad... For a BETA... --Submitted by Wolfie2k5
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?messageID=3022440#3022440

Is Windows 7 better than Vista? --Submitted by Watzman
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?messageID=3022309#3022309

Windows 7 upgrade --Submitted by chentiangemalc
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?messageID=3022372#3022372

Upgrading to Windows 7... --Submitted by darrenforster99
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19411_102-0.html?messageID=3022470#3022470

If you have any insight or opinions to offer Enrique, please click on the reply link and share your experience with us. Thanks!

Note to all particpants, please keep this discussion civil. This is not a rant on Microsoft thread. If you have nothing constructive to say, don't post anything at all. Thank you!
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7, please enlighten me with your opinions on this to be released OS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7, please enlighten me with your opinions on this to be released OS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
W7 looks promising

After using the Beta I think Win 7 looks promising for NEW PC's or custom built to spec.

It has a "My Documents" system that is more easily managed for households with multiple usernames and account levels and an easier network filesharing setup. Their current Windows Movie Maker is horrible though so I do NOT recommend downloading the beta of that.

I hope MSFT does two things: ditch 32 bit, all computers out there that will be able to run Win7 will be 64bit CPU's anyway so end the confusion and potential of people getting a version on training wheels with their new pc. And I hope they end the version confusion (basic, pro, ultimate etc... ad nauseum). A home user has just as much need for hard drive encryption as a business machine anyway and it costs them NOTHING more to add it so go back to 1 version with the option of turning features on or off and be done with it.

All this being said though I will not be buying Win7. There is nothing it can do that my Ubuntu 64bit Linux can't do better and MSFT has fleeced me one too many times in the past.

Collapse -
Ohhhhh !
by Sheitan86 / April 10, 2009 6:54 PM PDT
In reply to: W7 looks promising

Despite the fact that I'm running the 64 bit flavour I do not agree, MS must keep the 32 bits flavour of Windows 7.
Windows 7 runs fine on some platforms Vista does'nt.
E.G. I friend of mine is running Windows 7 32 bits (Pentium III 1 GHZ with 1MB of memory)
With MS dropping down support for XP skipping the 32 bits version amounts to give up this market share to Linux.

Collapse -
Cannot run on 1MB of RAM
by billinghamj / April 17, 2009 5:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Ohhhhh !

Are you sure that your friend wasn't using 1GB of RAM, because Windows 7's minimum requirement for RAM is 512MB.

Collapse -
Typing mistake
by Sheitan86 / April 17, 2009 6:35 PM PDT

1GB of memory Happy

Collapse -
THE NEW OS DOES SEEM PROMISING, BUT
by shaliko1 / April 17, 2009 11:51 AM PDT

I FOUND WHILE BETA TESTING THE OS THERE WAS A LOT INCOMPATBILITY ISSUES WITH OTHER PROGRAMS AND THEY WOULD NOT RUN PROPERLY IN COMPATIBILITY MODE EITHER. IM WELL VDERSED IN THIS SENSE I STARTED MY
COMPUTER LIFE WITH PDP8,16,32 AND THERE WAS THE INTRODUCTION OF VIRTUAL MEMORY IN THE VAX 11670, BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM THEN [1978]WAS
THAT THE SOFTWARE WAS LAGGING BEHIND WHAT THE HARDWARE WAS ABLE TO DO
IN SPEED OF BIT TRANSFER.NOW IT SEEMS THAT ITS SLIGHTLY THE OTHER WAY
IN MOST CASES. ONECE THE CHANGE OF DATA TRANSFER IS GIVEN TO THE MENORY DRIVE THEN SPEEDS WILL BE MUCH BETTER AND THE COMPATIBILITY ISSUE WILL START TO EASE A LITTLE.FROM WHAT I COULD SEE WAS THAT THE 32BIT VERSION WAS ACTING LIKE A 64BIT VERSION AND THE 64BIT VERSION
WAS ACTING LIKE A 128BIT VERSION BECAUSE THE C CHECK BIT WAS ALWAYS ON
AND ERRORS SEEM TO FLUCIATE IN THERE OPERATION.

Collapse -
Must you shout?
by ia3d / April 17, 2009 11:57 AM PDT

I have no idea as to what you wrote because I have too much difficulty reading things typed in all capital letters. I hope it wasn't anything too important ...

Collapse -
large caps are better
by hilipp / April 18, 2009 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Must you shout?

Actually large caps are better for people like me with eyesight problems so I appreciate what you call shouting. And it isn?t really shouting now is it, its just that someone somewhere made up that silly idea. Large caps are the old standard. (very old)

BBp

Collapse -
Uhm.. shouting?
by FrankQC / April 20, 2009 3:44 AM PDT

You shouldn't be mean to someone because they type in all capitals.

Maybe his keyboard is busted and is stuck in all capitals?

Collapse -
LARGE TYPE
by Ihaveq / May 2, 2009 11:49 PM PDT

LARGE TYPE IS MUCH BETTER FOR SOME OF US TO READ.

Collapse -
WRITE ON BUBBA
by uslawman / January 3, 2010 4:37 AM PST
In reply to: LARGE TYPE

for those of us who used to do everything in UC, i think it shows experience. used to write a little assembly language for ms-dos back in the day. always used UC too.
remember this guy for INT 21H

DOSCALL MACRO FUNCTION
; specify function desired
MOV AH,FUNCTION
; call DOS to perform the desired function
INT 21H

ENDM

Collapse -
everything used to be in capital letters
by uslawman / January 3, 2010 4:30 AM PST

because there is a possiblity that this person didnt just start yesterday or even when unix came out with the lower case deal in the 80's . i would advise you not to accuse him of shouting.
f u

Collapse -
Not only where you shouting but...
by REMincks / April 17, 2009 12:00 PM PDT

you never actually tied it, otherwise you would have seen that there are very few if any comatability problems with Windows7, even in the official beta version which is build 7000. Not only that there have been no significant driver issues to date. So, if you wish to comment be at least a little honest in your replys.

Collapse -
tied it ?
by uslawman / January 3, 2010 6:50 AM PST

what exactly would someone do to tie windows 7 ?

Collapse -
DEC Influance
by jchavez903 / April 17, 2009 2:39 PM PDT

I have been around a little (windows 2.0, Novell 2.0). If I recall the PDP's and Vax's were mini's. The ALPHA's were RISC micro's. Ran a DEC ALPHA 2100 as an NT 4.0 Server. Ran circles around the intel based processors. Used to work for a company called Datapoint which gave Intel the 8008 based (predecessor of x86) processor which was mini based. Decided the micro version (intel fabed it for them)...to slow...and gave it to intel...funny, the rest is history. Comparing current stuff to old mini based processors is apples and oranges.

Having said that, I find it interesting that there is a lot of old DEC/COMPAQ/HP VMS OS in windows 2000 and up.

Collapse -
History
by Nargg / April 18, 2009 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: DEC Influance

My history is a bit pre-gui OS based. RISC processors were a fantastic add to the computing power of today's chips. Raw speed learned from these processors is now incorporated into the multi-capable chips. Raw speed was not enough though. Today's chips combine complex (CISC) instructions with RISC speed to give programmers abilities that just raw speed alone could never have achieved.

If We could re-visit history, I'm sure a LOT of things would be different. But, to stretch to call it better would be impossible due to the dynamics of what a modern computer is made of today. It all comes down to how much we know, and if we knew differently it may or may not be better.

Collapse -
Reduced Instruction Set Computer
by jchavez903 / April 19, 2009 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: History

RISC is the acronyum for Reduced Instruction Set Computer. It is what it implies. The issue between Mini(Datapoint 2208) and Micro (Intel 8008/x86) is the input/output buss. Where as, the Main/Mini (realcomputers) support a parrallel bus (multiple bits per instruction cycel) vs Micro/PC's (Play Computers...just kidding) supports a serial buss (one bit at a time). Though the modern day micor processors run at relative blazing speeds...again subject for debate...can only input/output serially. A major bottleneck. Therefore no matter How fast the clock, instruction cycle and or memorey recovery time is, They are essentially going nowhere fast...pun intended.

When I started in computers (Nova 8), though they where parrallel processors, they had a major bottleneck...we used to hand load boot through a switch registor...binary to octal or hex.

Believe me...I have met people that can tell me stories about things like the development of, and where part, things like the disk drive.

It's all MFM to me.

Collapse -
Not surprising
by jgeisman / April 19, 2009 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: DEC Influance
Collapse -
Not true with later builds
by ezeuba / April 17, 2009 4:14 PM PDT

I had a similar issue with the build 7000 beta (the official release from MS). However, with later builds which were leaked on the internet, things got better. ALL my programs run well, and in compatibility mode if I choose. I am running build 7077 and I can say that it is the BEST OS yet from MS. I wonder why they even gave us Vista when they could make something like Windows 7???
Try this build 7077 (which you can get if you search for it) and see if you will still complain.
Cheers...

Collapse -
beta
by azBob111 / April 18, 2009 6:19 AM PDT

dude its a beta

Collapse -
knew a guy who worked on pdp8 in 68
by uslawman / January 3, 2010 6:55 AM PST

first pdp 8 showed up in dallas in 68. guy i knew worked on it too for sam wiley, a service provider.
i started on the sinclair zx80 and then went to the dec pdp 11 23+
nice machine. i liked dec a lot, was too bad about them. they hung out for a while in the 80s just doing service but eventually died.
i paid over 4k for my first ibm pc and wrote assembler and compiled basic back then
those were the days.

Collapse -
Window 7
by gidergodt / April 17, 2009 1:48 PM PDT

Hello i tried Windows 7 Beta , and for me it was a nice experince everything worked fast and perfekt . Idid only experinced a few minor problems (some missing drivers )And that was okay for a beta version. So i am looking forward to try the full version. So if you wan?t a program that seems to bee a cleanet up vista thats easy to to run and use then i can recommend windows 7 ( if the full version is as good as the beta version.

Collapse -
64Bit
by John Howell / April 19, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

Wrong to assume 64 bit for all Win7 clients - Atom is not 64 but, my HP Tablet is not 64bit, and these are viable platforms for Win7.

My findings using the beta for a week, it is faster on current corporate gear, so 1GB ram is OK, but of course it flies well with 2GB, no matter what the CPU is. My test was with a 1.8GHz dualcore Intel, which can slow down to 1GHz dynamically on battery, I did notice much better battery life under Win7 than with Vista, but suspend/resume brought back problems with wifi not reconnecting.
Boots much faster, colt to desktop in under a minute. Over 2minutes 7 seconds for my laptop under Vista.

The new task manager is pretty good, but gets cramped really quickly on a small screen.

Still has all of the old baggage of all Windows relaeases - patch management is painful, with initially randon delays on startup and shut down while patches completed their installation process. Annoying when you might have only 2 mintes of battery left, and you shut down to find it is trying to install a patch, or startup being delayed in a similar way when you just need to boot quickly in a meeting.
And it it still reboot city for installing many services and applications.

Overall, I will try and get Win7 to replace vista on my work laptop ASAP as it is much better than Vista, however for my real work (Managing webservers, switches, routers and networking equipment) I will still be using Linux, and for home I still have my Mac (which as long as bootcamp supports Win7 will also get updated - but only to enjoy the faster boot times. Lower requirements for memory will make it a better candidate for my Virtual machines too over tinyXP.)

Collapse -
Stick with Vista

If you are already running Vista and are happy with it, I see no reason to upgrade to Windows 7. Windows 7 will have some nice user interface additions and some business features that Vista lacks, but I hardly think those features are enough to upgrade from Vista to W7. Windows 7 would be a good opportunity for the millions of people that didn't upgrade to Vista.

I've tested Windows 7 and it is a nice OS. However, I will recommend all my customers that are already using Vista to stay put.

Things to look out for in W7.
1. The final release will probably include Internet Explorer 8. Many websites aren't ready for IE8.
2. You may experience lack of driver support for some of your existing hardware & software. This is the main thing that gave Vista a bad name. However; this is a problem with slow implementation of driver updates by third party hardware/software companies, not Microsoft's.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by clhd / April 11, 2009 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Stick with Vista

HUGE mistake! Win7 will be and already is a superior product to Vista. Better driver control and program compatibility better GUI and most of all better hardware handling. Win 7 is probably the best version of Windows yet and I've used them ALL!

Collapse -
Windows 7
by HermanatorIII / April 11, 2009 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

I have used the Windows 7 Beta on my machine with an Intel Celeron D 356, with a Gig of memory, and because I have used every version of Windows since 3.0, (except 2000, which sucked), I can report that Win 7 is the best version yet. None of the constant security pop-ups, and software conflicts that plagued Vista. A nice GUI that can be adjusted downward to increase performance, and a smooth, intuitive feel that should suit users both advanced and basic. The only problem I had, was when I needed Acrobat 9 to do my taxes, it wouldn't work with "7", so I used my XP machine to do the work on my business bookkeeping.
I'll buy It in a heartbeat!

Collapse -
by Born2B / April 11, 2009 8:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

If as you haven't used win 2000 How can you tell it bad ?
Many of my bussines Customers sware by it wil not change to
Vista or Xp until somthing better like Win 7 comes along.

Collapse -
Hey born2b
by HermanatorIII / April 14, 2009 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: 2k

I did "try" 2000, and serviced several business computers that used that OS, that's how I can say "It Sucked".
I also realize that business users found it reliable and some continue to this day. That said, I found it bland, slow, and ugly, but that's just me !

Collapse -
Win 2000 Pro Seems to be Quite Good
by brianlevyesq / April 19, 2009 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey born2b

I do not know why you think it sucks. Maybe you could be more specific. I just resurrected an old Compaq N610c and decided to load 2000 Pro as I never really used it and out of the box, it installed easier and ran quicker than when I had XP on the laptop. It has not crashed not hung up and drivers have been easy to find.

I decided to also load it on a Dell Dimension 8100 that I tried XP on and found it ran like a slug, especially coming up and shutting down. With 2000 Pro, it is running well and seems less twitchy then the XP.

The only limitations I've come across are that IE only goes up to 6, Windows Media player will not upgrade to 10 and hence Activesync while loading and running will not convert MP3 files for loading to my MS 5.0 based PPC. It is not an issue as I do not use the phone to play music anyway.

The office network was easy to set up on it, actually easier than with XP.

Also, it takes only a gig or slightly more to install leaving plenty of room on those old 40 gig hard drives.

I never really used 2000 Pro as I went from 98 to XP when I built my new computer back some years ago and now wish I had tried it first. Admittedly, the limitation is that while the updates are currently still available off the MS site, they are slated to be withdrawn in the not too distant future I understand.

I'm hoping that Win 7 will be lean enough to mount on these computers eventually.

Collapse -
"it bland, slow, and ugly"
by ahtoi / May 25, 2009 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Hey born2b

I can swore you are talking about my car and not an OS! Give me the low down on "7". Haha.

I have 4 computer in my home, the OS is either 2k, linux, or both.

Collapse -
Windows 2000
by PhilGlantz / April 19, 2009 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: 2k

I still use it on older machines and think it's most intuitive and most reliable of all windows so far.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.