Computer Help forum

Question

Windows 7 PC shuts down. Won't wake up.

by raleighm57 / March 27, 2012 11:10 PM PDT

I have a two year-old Gateway DX4300-11. Windows 7 Home Premium with all updates. Norton 360. I added a Sapphire AMD HD5400 PCIe X16 video card. PC is otherwise as purchased.

PC will occasionally appear to hibernate, even though power settings are set to never hibernate. Power switch light is on. Power supply fan is running. I can open CD/DVD drive drawer. However, nothing I have tried will wake the PC up. Pushing/holding the power button has no effect. Cannot even shut down PC with power button. Only solution I've found is to uplug cord from back of power supply. When I plug back in, PC restarts automatically without pushing power button.

Problem seemed to start about a month ago after I started using dual monitor function with plasma HDTV hooked up to HDMI output and PC monitor hooked to DVI output as primary monitor.

Thought perhaps this over-stressed the video card so I disconnected HDTV and connected monitor back to HDMI output. No good so I replaced the video card. Still have the problem. I have run software and hardware diagnostics from FixIt Utilities and Advanced SystemCare as well as hardware stress test utilities. No problems have been found.

Is it possible to find the issue in the event log? I'm wondering now if I should replace the power supply but would prefer to successfully troubleshoot first.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 PC shuts down. Won't wake up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 PC shuts down. Won't wake up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Update
by raleighm57 / March 27, 2012 11:12 PM PDT

By the way, the processor is AMD Phenom II X4 805 quad core. 8 GB DDR2 system RAM.

Collapse -
Answer
This sounds like
by Jimmy Greystone / March 28, 2012 12:20 AM PDT

This sounds like some pretty classic signs of bad caps (google it), maybe a bad PSU. If it's bad caps, you may as well look for another computer, because unless you have some kind of extended warranty on that thing, repairing it will likely cost more. And the fact that it's an Acer brand will just make things even more complicated since Acer never stocks warranty parts for anything. It's a Taiwanese company that uses the effective slave labor of China to make cheap computers. They buy enough materials to make X number of units, and then usually after about 6 months they run out, so they move on to a new model. You name a corner to cut, Acer probably cuts it and then about a half dozen more.

The good news regarding your situation is, it is almost certainly nothing to do with you connecting your TV to the computer. Considering the TV has its own power supply and has a maximum resolution of 1080p, which is fairly pedestrian compared to what even integrated chipsets can handle, the odds of it in some way stressing the video chip to the point of failure is unlikely.

One area of concern I see is the use of so-called fixit programs. These things are pretty much universally scams. Long gone are the days when Windows needed regular intervention on the part of the user to keep things going. Especially when it comes to the registry. You should stay as far away from that as you possibly can. There is so much misinformation floating around about the Windows registry you would think that Windows is a shattered pane of glass and the only thing holding all the pieces together is the Windows registry and a prayer. That is a very mistaken impression, and the Windows registry is simply not that important. However, if you use registry fixing/cleaning programs, it can cause problems. Not the problems you describe, but other problems.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.