Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 on sata drive

by norsksteve / February 6, 2009 2:00 AM PST

Has anyone installed Windows 7 on a sata drive? If so, I would like to know how you did it. I don't see the F6 option when I try it.
Thanks in advance,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 on sata drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 on sata drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Windows 7 on sata drive
by Jonmor68 / February 6, 2009 6:21 AM PST

it appears lots are having this problem, while others can install.
Look in bios to see if you can use IDE compatability mode for your sata drive, this will allow you to install without the sata drivers.

Collapse -
Tough Luck
by Wispa65 / February 6, 2009 8:09 AM PST

I installed Windows 7 twice on a sata hdd! Well its a SATA 2 drive to be exact. No problems so far.

Collapse -
Windows 7 on sata drive
by winstonliang6758 / February 6, 2009 8:14 AM PST

There should be an option when you install it to add drivers.

Collapse -
Typically not needed...
by John.Wilkinson / February 6, 2009 10:18 AM PST

Vista and Windows 7 should natively support your SATA drive out of the box in most cases. If it is not detecting your hard drive, could you name the make and model of your computer?

Collapse -
No Name
by norsksteve / February 6, 2009 10:24 PM PST

Thanks for trying to help me but I think I just need to upgrade my system. I first built it in 2002 so it does not have a name brand. It has an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe motherboard with an Anthlon 64 processor, 1.5GB DDR, and 500GB SATA HDD but I can't find any drivers for Vista (for the SATA drive). The CD for the motherboard support windows versions up to XP. I tried the website, too, but no such luck. It is not a big deal; I have Virtual PC 2007 running on it and it works fine for Windows 7 in that environment.

Collapse -
Same problem
by Charinator / February 19, 2009 5:27 PM PST
In reply to: No Name

I have the following

tried various burners

install stops just before it come to the custom/upgrade option page

Collapse -
Check Motherboard
by sankvis / February 19, 2009 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: Same problem

I had a problem upgrading to Vista earlier. I had an Asus motherboard. I found from the Asus site that that particular motherboard does not support Vista. Fortunately I had not bought Vista. Now when I bought a new motherboard, I checked up to see whether it would support Vista.

Please check this.

Even then I had problems installing the LAN driver. Though Vista drivers were provided their launch application was not Vista compliant. I opened the folder installed the driver directly while installing Windows 7

Collapse -
If your drive is recognized by BIOS but not seen in Explorer
by bene_melos / January 9, 2010 1:34 PM PST
In reply to: No Name

I just built a system and ran into the problem that my second SATA drive was not visible in Explorer. All I had to do to fix the problem was go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Manager. As soon as I opened that tool, I was informed by the OS I had a disk that was not initialized. I initialized the disk, and created a new volume on it. This involved setting my desired drive info (e.g., drive letter, file system, etc.), and then I had the volume formatted. I used quick format. Once that was done, the drive was available via Explorer.

Collapse -
Vista and Windows 7 should natively support your SATA drive
by New Mexico Mountain Man / April 4, 2009 3:48 AM PDT

I Have a home built PC with a Promise SATAII 150 TX4 controller.
Windows 7 does not recognize / have drivers for it. It shows as a mass controller driver in the Device Manager, with the yellow Exclamation mark. I checked the Promise web site but they did not even have a VISTA driver for it. No more promise controllers for me.

Collapse -
I have a Sunix SATA2000
by anmor / April 4, 2009 7:56 AM PDT

controler card, it works fine in XP, Vista & W7 and didn't cost too much.

Collapse -
no sata hd on my computer option
by greg3rok / December 27, 2009 5:45 AM PST

I have installed windows 7 on ide drive which works OK but when I open MY COMPUTER it does not show any SATA HD but if you go to disk manager it shows that it is there. Any ideas, am using ASUS P5KPL-AM IN/GB motherboard.

Collapse -
windows 7 beta on sata drives
by speechmeister / April 4, 2009 8:34 AM PDT

yes, i have installed windows 7 beta on a sata harddrive.i did so as a fresh install( not an upgrade)and so far i've had no problems .....cant wait for the rc .......its sad when a beta test version is better then a full scale os . this time they got it right( i hope anyway)

Collapse -
Sata or not To sata.... hehe
by RealBigSwede / April 6, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

I installed it on SATA and with 8 HD plus 2 DVD drives!!! and with no problem. make sure you have the HD in right Master slave configs. and make sure you do installit onj your c: drive in thi9s case. I installed it to my e: drive then changed it in bios to make that my c: drive..

Collapse -
Compaq Cq40
by cybersimmas / October 21, 2009 8:17 PM PDT

I cant able to install windows 7 in my compaq cq40-133tu. It is not detecting any driver for my harddisk. any solution for this.

Collapse -
Install W7 on Sata Drive
by magicted / October 23, 2009 8:45 PM PDT

Installed W7 64 bit clean and dual booted with existing Vista so that each is on a SATA drive.

The CDRom is also a SATA drive.

No problems doing the install.

Running fine here!

Collapse -
W7 32bit
by cybersimmas / October 23, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

What about 32bit. Have you tried to install Windows 7 32bit in SATA drive. When i boot W7 cd in my laptop it asks for driver

Collapse -
W7 32 bit on Sata drives
by magicted / October 25, 2009 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: W7 32bit

Sorry, did not have opportunity to try on 32 bit and will not have the time now.

Perhaps someone else?

Collapse -
Nearly all drives are SATA these days few IDEs are being use
by Dango517 / January 10, 2010 5:56 PM PST

You might run this on that PC of yours. The problem might be elsewhere then that drive.

We have several of those older PCs in my family. I do not believe Windows 7 will work for you. That is an 8 year old machine. lots has changed in 8 years. You might get lucky but it might be time for a new PC.

Collapse -
by TaraS_WinTeam / January 12, 2010 5:50 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.