Samsung forum

Windows 7 on new series 7 chronos.

by Awakenthedead / April 21, 2013 3:58 PM PDT

I have one of the new series 7 chronos laptops with the ati hd8770 video card. I HATE windows 8. I want to know if I can install windows 7. I don't expect to find drivers for the touch screen but will I be able to find the other drivers and is it even possible to install windows 7 on this machine?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 on new series 7 chronos.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 on new series 7 chronos.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Before you go down that road.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 12:52 AM PDT

I was about to return our first Windows 8 machine but installed Classic Shell which is free and corrects the bone headed decision in my opinion.

It's pretty costly to pay up for 7 and then you have the driver headaches.

My advice is to install Classic Shell which is free and open source before you use the machine much.

Collapse -
Re: Windows 7 on new series 7 chronos
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 22, 2013 2:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 22, 2013 2:09 AM PDT

By the way that works to enable installing Linux and other OSes.

Why the industry went down this road is a discussion on its own. Without CSM, these could not be considers Personal Computers.

Collapse -
by Awakenthedead / April 26, 2013 3:48 PM PDT

Thanks for the info, but i dont see any windows 7 drivers for my machine.

Collapse -
Ask for more than drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks.

My other Samsung laptops have "helper apps" that do things such as volume control, turn on the wifi and more. While I bet you might find motherboard and chip drivers, the helper apps are rarely from anyone but the maker.

Was it just that start button thing that put you off Windows 8?

Collapse -
It's everything.
by Awakenthedead / April 27, 2013 4:23 PM PDT

It's not just the start button although that is part of it, it's the modern ui apps, the metro start screen, everything being convoluted in a tablet/smart phone interface oh and the damn auto brightness on the keyboard not being able to be defeated.. I was a long time windows user who went over to Mac and due to requirements for some of my classes I needed a OC that could run windows and Linux natively. So I research good machines and in the price range the Samsung chronos came to the top of the list. But then come to find out windows 8 sucks and because of windows 8 no Linux. I'm trying to get back to an interface and system that is familiar and works for me and will allow me to run Linux.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: It's everything.

I installed classic shell and don't have the metro start screen now. The auto brightness was a control panel setting here but I don't have your Chronos so I can't tell you exactly where it was.

It sounds to me that you didn't try classic start before you began to load other OSes.

Collapse -
by Awakenthedead / April 28, 2013 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Wait?

The keyboard auto brightness has no way to turn it off that I have found in the registry or control panel. If I knew the specific registry key I could turn it off but without that knowledge there is no way I've found. I though classic shell just made having to access the start screen optional? I want it gone.

Collapse -
Let me be clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Does

I have other laptops and it was a control setting on those. Since support is lacking and the maker didn't answer where the control is, maybe this is not a laptop for you?

Your comment about classic shell is odd. Here I don't see the Metro tile screen on boot any more. I can't tell if you actually tried it before you went to another OS and learned that drivers and apps are going to be a problem as makers drop developing for other OSes.

I can see why they should. That is, it's costly to put out drivers for the other OSes so why not cut costs and supply a ready to use machine that folk can add/change with things like classic shell?

Collapse -
I guess it is what it is.
by Awakenthedead / April 28, 2013 1:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me be clear.

I have start8 and that represses the screen on boot but its still there. It's something I can live with of i HAVE to. It just seems like such a waste of system resources to have the metro screen and the "modern UI" apps since ill never use them. The auto backlighting keyboard is annoying only in certain situations like in just perfect light it turns on and it make it so I can't tell what the keys are. I just wish I had true manual control over the keyboard brightness. If I could go back to windows 7 then to me it makes more sense but I can't find drivers so its a mute issue. I'm unhappy with samsungs lack of support.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 1:24 AM PDT

Now I see what you are saying. I've encountered many folk over the years that take issue with say IE that is so intertwined with the OS that they can't bear to know "it's still in there" even when it never shows.

I didn't find Samsung to be lacking in support but as makers must control costs then this is a way to save a few million and pass the savings to those that don't need Windows 7 or other versions.

Here we are testing our apps on 8 and the very first thing we did was install classic shell. I see you put on start8 so that's a step in the right direction.

-> Why keep this if you feel this bad about the product?

Collapse -
Which is better then?
by Awakenthedead / April 28, 2013 2:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

Is classic shell a better program then start8 and modern mix?(which I also have)

Collapse -
In your case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 2:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Which is better then?

I think you won't be happy as it's still not Windows 7 or as you stated something about it eating resources. For those folk my advice is to vote with their feet and wallets. Return products that are not meeting their needs and buy the ones they really want. Windows 7 laptops are still available so that's a non-issue here in the USA.

Collapse -
i have yet to find a machine...
by Awakenthedead / April 28, 2013 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: In your case.

I have been looking for a windows 7 machine that fill my requirements. it needs to of course be very sturdy on par or close to that of MBP's, battery life on par or better then MBP's quad core intel i7 processor, 8+ gigs of ram, a gaming quality video card and a nice screen and be in the 1200 dollar price range. The series 7 fills the bill on hardware requirements, it just effing runs windows 8.

Collapse -
Re: Windows 7 on new series 7 chronos
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / April 29, 2013 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks.

Hi Awakenthedead,

You can use the SW Update tool to download Windows 7 drivers:

You can use it before or after you downgrade to Windows 7. In fact, you don't even have to be on a Samsung machine to use it: you can just download it on any hardware that's running Windows, and then do a model look up for the drivers and the application.

HD Tech

Collapse -
Wish I had better news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2013 1:10 PM PDT

But as we test more and more with 8 and our apps, it's getting better. That classic shell really helps get us back to work.

I looked around and can't see where metro is "eating resources." Where should I look for that?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.