Phones forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Mobile Phones

by cgabriel10 / November 23, 2010 4:53 AM PST

I like the new Windows OS on the Samsung Focus, but just found out there is NO CUT & PASTE feature!!! Why would they release without that feature and does anyone know when an update would be available to add that feature? It is a feature used often in business and very necessary and likely I will return the device if an update is not soon on the horizon.

CG

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Mobile Phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Mobile Phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ah. Didn't the iPhone ship without that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2010 5:00 AM PST

And why not return it while you have a chance?

You have a good reason!

Collapse -
It's coming...
by John.Wilkinson / November 23, 2010 9:39 PM PST

Microsoft wanted to introduce a supposedly superior replacement to the old copy-and-paste feature, but development issues set that back. Then user complaints before Windows Phone 7 was even released led Microsoft to decide to include copy-and-paste in a future update (I believe this Spring is the target window), which they would like to be a placeholder until they eventually complete the replacement feature.

Apple omitted this feature in the iPhone arguing it wasn't needed on a smartphone. Many users complained, but just as many argued that Apple was right, though none complained when the basic feature was finally implemented. Unfortunately, Microsoft is going down the same road, trading a new, over-hyped look for relatively barebones functionality and support out of the gate by leaving a decade's work on Windows Mobile on the cutting room floor.

John

Collapse -
It will come
by mcdonell123 / December 6, 2010 9:57 PM PST

Lots of features will be found in the update next year. I have used every version of iphone and copy and paste is more hype than useful. It has benefits but unless w7 gets multi function support the copy/paste is tedious.

Collapse -
HOW to install Wifi Router for Windows 7 Mobile?
by misri123 / December 27, 2010 11:44 AM PST
In reply to: It will come

WMWiFi Router installs and operates very efficiently on Windows Mobile 6.5 HD2.
Also can download the application for previous Windows mobile version.
How about Windows 7 Mobile... anybody know how to make it work?

Collapse -
Never had to do anything to support other wifi devices.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 28, 2010 1:30 AM PST

-> I am GUESSING this is a NEW DISCUSSION buried in an old discussion.

WP7 is now WM. It's a new OS so you'll have to wait for authors to write the apps for WP7.

I see you wrote "Windows 7 Mobile" which is an OS I have yet to see. I do see folk using that instead of "Windows Phone 7" or WP7 but there is nothing left of Windows Mobile in WP7. Old apps do not run.
Bob

Collapse -
Bad typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 7:10 AM PST

Sorry, I meant -> "WP7 is not WM."

Collapse -
That's true
by tnd-electronics / March 1, 2011 5:52 AM PST
In reply to: It will come

w7 gets multi function supports

Collapse -
I completely agree ...
by rcj007 / December 29, 2010 12:26 PM PST

I completely agree -- how could Microsoft miss such an essential feature. We too just got Samsung Focus's -- the device itself is fine but we are returning them because the Winows 7 Phone just doesn't do it for us -- see my post re synching Outlook contacts.

Collapse -
Please - the whole truth
by aalake / January 8, 2011 4:35 AM PST
In reply to: I completely agree ...

I just returned my Focus because of the Outlook issue. How do I find the thread which discusses this? I crave the whole truth. My AT&T contract is up, would enjoy a new phone but cant' find any from AT&T which syncs Outlook in the direct way - not Windows live, not Hotmail, not Exchange, etc. Also - Samsung instructed me to uninstall my Windows Mobile existing software and now I can't get it back to use with my Blackjack II which DOES sync (with some problems). But at least it works with the new Simm card, having had the old one zapped to activate the new Focus which is now history. Please. Need to know what to expect next from MS, AT&T, Samsung - and whether I should try Sprint phones....

Collapse -
Just stepping out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 5:10 AM PST

There is little sign Microsoft is going to correct this issue soon. The word is a few things change this month but it's not going to address your issue.

-> If you take the time to research the head of the WP7 effort you see they ejected any idea of corporate use and thought they would go against Apple and try to win the consumer.

It's a lot to take in or research but for now, I'd skip WP7.
Bob

Collapse -
Research over
by aalake / January 8, 2011 10:08 AM PST
In reply to: Just stepping out.

I will use my old Blackjack II and keep my nose in the forums. But - are you saying there are no new phones out there using any version of Windows Mobile?

Collapse -
Not that I know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 10:17 AM PST
In reply to: Research over

I know that WM 6.5 lives on in the corporate space but would you consider that "new"?

Collapse -
Not in the US, at least...
by John.Wilkinson / January 8, 2011 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: Not that I know of.

Microsoft decided to keep Windows Mobile 6.5.x alive, at least for a while, by continuing to offer it in third-world/under-developed countries. Although I feel Windows Mobile is still a stronger operating system than Windows Phone, and that a substantial mistake was made in breaking from nearly all of Windows Mobile's selling points, continuing to offer WM6.5 was also a mistake as it increases fragmentation and deters full engineering resources from being used to make Windows Phone comparable to its predecessor.

John

Collapse -
I got it back.
by aalake / January 9, 2011 2:21 AM PST

I found WM 6.?? (not sure) on an MS site and it works fine, as well as it did before with a small calendar glitch which can be fixed by warm booting phone. I am sticking with Blackjack II until further notice. Thank you for confirming what I had already guessed was true but did not realize how extensive it was in regard to any new phones. And I'm still mad at how far I had to go in order to find anybody who would tell me the truth - Level 3 Samsung + 2 AT&T retail stores, no MS input at all.

Collapse -
Windows Mobile cannot be downloaded like that...
by John.Wilkinson / January 9, 2011 1:38 PM PST
In reply to: I got it back.

In short, Windows Mobile cannot simply be downloaded, even from Microsoft. Rather, you can only download the ROM specifically designed for your device from the manufacturer or the service provider. I suspect you actually downloaded software that works with Windows Mobile, not the operating system itself.

John

Collapse -
It works.
by aalake / January 10, 2011 3:51 AM PST

I had already downloaded patches which seemed to be the only thing that Samsung provided but I put in some more items and check again. It never did work as smoothly after I got Windows 7 but it did Contacts fine. The Calendar required this extra step. Naturally I thought a Windows phone would solve it all.

Collapse -
It works as well as it did before.
by aalake / January 10, 2011 4:28 AM PST

When this sync stop working properly, some time after I upgraded my computer to Windows 7, I found a piece of forum info which instructed me to connect the phone and reset contacts, calendar and tasks to No Sync. Then disconnect and warm boot phone. Then re-connect and reset Contacts, Calendar, Tasks. It works. It picks up whatever new item I entered since last sync. Less than perfect, but better than The Cloud or 3rd party software which is very iffy and a nuisance to keep separately upgrading etc etc. I'm not buying a new phone period and if my phone crashes I will buy some cheap refurb with no contract.

Collapse -
difference b\w windows mobile & windows phone
by lohumi88 / January 26, 2011 1:03 AM PST

can anybody tell me the difference b\w windows mobile & windows phone.
as i read somewhere that Wp is not Wm but didn't get it clearly.

Collapse -
I think you understood it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2011 1:06 AM PST

You stated it clearly that WP is not WM.
Bob

Collapse -
Different operating systems...
by John.Wilkinson / January 26, 2011 1:12 AM PST

In short, too few people were pleased with Windows Mobile compared to iOS and Android, so Microsoft largely started over, creating a new operating system. Thus, it's much like DOS vs Windows; Windows evolved from DOS in some respects, but they're two entirely different operating systems. What's different? As far as the user's concerned, everything.

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.