Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 licensing

by Jorisam / February 24, 2010 3:32 PM PST

I have a PC purchased with Vista and bought what I thought was a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium(Not an upgrade or OEM version) to replace Vista. The PC died and I insatlled a new motherboard. I thought I could use my copy on the new motherboard but Windows tells me the activation period has expired and I have to purchase a new copy. Is this right; Has the licensing changed in Win 7?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 licensing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 licensing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's news to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2010 8:22 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 licensing

I never read any message as you shared. Here's what you wrote -> "the activation period has expired".

Maybe it said something else?

The full version is not going to be an issue here. Try this first. Click on the Orb or Start button and see if there is an "Activate Windows" item showing. Do that.

As to what you bought. The retail full versions are easy to identify. Fairly big box and all.

Collapse -
Full Version....
by CassandraF_WinTeam / February 25, 2010 2:45 AM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

Bob is correct here. This should not be an issue with the full version of Windows Home Premium. Is your copy of Windows 7 genuine? Did you buy purchase through a Microsoft partner? If you do indeed have a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium, you can read more about activating Windows 7 here:

I hope this helps you on your way! Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Collapse -
The Product Key You Typed Cannot Be Used to Activate Windows
by Jorisam / February 25, 2010 4:31 AM PST
In reply to: That's news to me.

Thanks for this and other posts. With further testing and web searching I have established that, if you receive the above message, it is necessary to activate Windows 7 manually using the Microsoft automated activation phone line. This is 0800 018 8354 in the UK but if you don't get this option immediately you can:
1. Click start, and in the search box type: slui.exe 4
2. Press enter on the keyboard
3. Select your country
4. Select the phone activation option.
I got an automated service which involved typing in a lot of numbers but it worked and my Windows 7 is now activated.
Note that this was a full retail version that had been loaded once on my PC, which died, and I have successfully activated having reloaded (overwriting my hard drive) with a new motherboard.

Collapse -
Sequence of events problem maybe?
by Steven Haninger / February 25, 2010 3:17 AM PST
In reply to: Windows 7 licensing

You said that your PC came with Vista and you bought a full version of Windows 7 but you didn't say whether or not you'd installed it on that system. I'm wondering if you had and if, when you replaced the motherboard, you just plugged the old hard drive back in. If so, that wouldn't work. With XP...any version....the system would probably not boot. A full version, however, could be reactivated but you may need to call MS to plead your case. Any possibility of this or are you sure it was a fresh installation on a bare drive?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.