Windows 7

General discussion

Windows 7 license certificate of authenticity

by Saadfb / March 21, 2013 8:03 AM PDT

So my situation is that recently my HDD broke. As a result I have ordered a new HDD (should be arriving tomorrow sometime)

The problem however is that my old HDD had Windows 7 on it (I did not make any back up disc's) so I was wondering if there is anything I can do with regards to this??

I also wanted to know wheather it would be possible for me to use any Windows 7 installation discs with my own proof of license certificate of authenticity located on the bottom of my laptop??

In addition if the authenticity serial number on the bottom of my laptop has faded is there anything I can do find out what it was???

Sorry for the confusing post, hope it makes sense.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 license certificate of authenticity
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 license certificate of authenticity
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Good question but.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 8:13 AM PDT

Since this is a laptop the OS License was for an OEM version and that key does not work on any Windows 7 DVD I've seen so far.

On top of that, when I restore the laptop with the maker's restore media I have never had to supply that key.

The cheap exit here is to order the restore media.
Bob

Collapse -
What's the restore media
by Saadfb / March 22, 2013 3:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Good question but.

What is the restore media and how do I go about ordering it, most of all is it free? Surely I wouldn't have to pay for something I paid for already?

Collapse -
Let's use google to find out.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_disc is the second hit and seems to answer that.

2. As to ordering, it's from the laptop's maker. I would have given a specific link and a guess on the amount or even may have offered a link to a free download but you seem to not be seeing the "words in red." They ask you to supply details. Here's the text of it.

"Please read before posting

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended."

3. As to something you paid for already. If you didn't create the recovery media or lost them, well that was your choice. Some folk get very upset because they feel entitled to the recovery media. You find you can't discuss much with the entitled folk. Even if you find them a free download they will insist on you making the DVD for them, or writing a tutorial or more. I'm unsure how to reply to such folk today.

Try this. Tell a little more so members can find out how to proceed.
Bob

Collapse -
Your right
by Saadfb / March 22, 2013 5:18 AM PDT

I didn't see the writing in red as I'm using an iPad which I'm not used too.

Collapse -
Opportunity lost
by Willy / March 22, 2013 3:36 AM PDT

When your PC was up and running it should have or if you read the manual, been instructed to make the "recovery/restore disc(s)". Now that your HD is kaput, that makes it hard because more than likely the pre-loaded OS was present in/on a recovery area of your HD. Ordering from the OEM maker replacement discs or just getting them is still cheaper than if you brought in the open market. For some small cost order them or complain if you want why you didn't recieve them in the 1st place. The action they is up to them, but good luck anyways.

As for your current key# found on the MS sticker on your PC, that's valid for the same maker supplied PC. The OEM supplied OS requires some key and generally its open to their own supplied discs, NOT so for other makers. However, should you get a retail version or generic OEM OS discs, they won't accept that key, but what is already supplied in the package of the new source of the OS.

Direct answers are usually offered by the PC maker, I suggest you visit the support website and using your SN# or service tag#, inquire about the process of ordering replacement OS discs AND what is expected to re-install as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Sorry guys this is all new to me
by Saadfb / March 22, 2013 5:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Opportunity lost

Sorry guys this is all new to me so a lot the the everyday words are jargon to me, and seems very confusing.

My laptop model is HP G62-107SA, my new HDD is a SEagate momentous xt http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Momentus-ST9750420AS-internal-SATA-3/dp/B004MME0N0 ,
And the operating system that originally cam with my laptop was Windows 7. That's all the info I can provide to be honest. Kind of makes me wish I studying computers.

And yup no recovery disc's were made, but it should be noted that I didn't set the laptop up over wise I might have done so.

On a side note I'm not one of the 'entitled folk' I kinda get the entitled folk angle if I'm being honest but I also get the OEM angle too, I was merely enquiring as to whether it w free as I side with the entitled folk a bit more but as it's not I would have no qualms paying for it.

Cheers guys I know you probably read my post cringing due to my lack of knowledge but I was genuinely lost.

All your help, especially BOb has been appreciated.

Collapse -
Since it is an HP
by lacsr / March 22, 2013 10:05 PM PDT

Here is a link to the Recovery Media page for that model: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph07143&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4133903&query=G62-107SA&tool=

Also, depending on how broke the hard drive is, it might be possible to clone the Recovery partition to the new hard drive and then allow it to make the hard drive like the original. However, do not expect that to work if the hard drive is completely shot. And, of course, it will not be as easy as ordering and using the Recovery media set from HP, but a free step to try.

Collapse -
Old HDD shot
by Saadfb / March 22, 2013 11:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Since it is an HP

Thanks for the link man, don't think the cloning will work though, still need to find a someone who can try to fish all the old data of the HDD.

I can get my hands on an unofficial windows 7 for £10 (or download it myself for free) or get an official Windows 8 for £15 but heard 8 is not that great. So need to get my hands on a official Windows 7

Collapse -
By official, this must be the HP issued one for this model.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Old HDD shot

I've lost count of the folk upset they can't use the CD KEY on the bottom of a laptop for the full official OS (they didn't get the one with the license.)

And installing the full retail Windows 7 is a pain in the read. That is, unless you have installed Windows hundreds of times, you don't know what to install or why or where to look or who to ask (it's not me, I refer you back to those that make it.)

Yes I have a generic method that works but I find folk upset about having to find the drivers and apps.
Bob

Collapse -
In your other cross posting, a HP G62-107SA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 22, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

HP here charges about 35 bucks for the recovery media.

What a small world! I owned another HP G62 and can write with authority that it allowed me to create the recovery media for use later. I think you may have opted out of that and you now see what happens next.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Mate
by Saadfb / March 22, 2013 5:08 AM PDT

Much appreciated.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.