Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

Windows 7 Keeps Trying Configure Updates & Failing

by jbschwartz--2008 / August 26, 2011 11:00 AM PDT

Since the beginning of August my Win 7 system installs updates at shutdown and then at the beginning of the next bootup, it tries to configure the updates and fails. I'm pretty sure it's the same updates. How can I find out what updates these are and stop this from happening? My Win 7 is 32 bit.

jbschwartz--2008 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Keeps Trying Configure Updates & Failing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Keeps Trying Configure Updates & Failing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jbschwartz--2008

Collapse -
Tell more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 8:21 AM PDT

I'd have to know what updates are pending and if there are security softwares such as Norton, Spybot or others installed.

Also we saw this with malware or registry cleaners as both do odd damage. In my opinion you waited too long for System Restore to be an option so let's pop the hood and hear more about this.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Tell more
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 27, 2011 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell more.

How do I find out what updates are pending?

Collapse -
Try
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Tell more

I'd look in a few places.

1. EVENT VIEWER.

2. Windows Update and it's status pages.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 29, 2011 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Try

Hi Bob, I was able to find a list of updates that failed but I can't find where they are on my PC so that I can delete them. There are no updates pending.

Collapse -
Just another tip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try

Either share the update by KB number for members to comment about or try downloading and installing that update manually.

Without a KB number I can't see if it's one of the usual failures like .NET or something new.
Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 29, 2011 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Just another tip.

According to the message I get, there are 23 updates that are backed out. I will take your suggestion about doing this one by one. Thanks for all your help. Happy

Collapse -
Re: Another Tip
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 29, 2011 6:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Just another tip.

Hi Bob... Okay, the updates are in the Program Data folder. I managed to play with the registry and my issue is gone! Thank you, again.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Another Tip

Hopefully the forum helped you along here.
Bob

Collapse -
OOPS
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 30, 2011 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Good to read.

Well, it almost was gone. It started happening again.

Collapse -
There is that Windows Defender item.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 30, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: OOPS

It updates all the time. And we do have issues like this with some "protection" software installed (this includes antivirus.)

Again, I have to know the KB number to guess what it is.
Bob

Collapse -
Issue Solved
by jbschwartz--2008 / September 3, 2011 2:07 AM PDT

Here is how I finally solved the issue...
1) I ran Malwarebytes.
2) I went to Windows updates and chose the oldest important update to install. That installed three other updates that had previously failed.
3) I continued to do step #2 until there were no more Windows updates. Each time I chose an update, various other updates were installed.

This morning I booted up and, voila, Windows no longer tries to configure updates at startup and it no longer tries to install updates at shutdown.

Thank you for all your help. I will never again choose to install all the updates at once.

Collapse -
Answer
Simple fix
by LivingForTheFuture / August 26, 2011 11:13 AM PDT

Find out the recent updates you installed by going to windows update, then go to control panel and go to hardware and programs then you need to select windows up dates and then uninstall them, all the while in updates, make sure to hide those updates from being installed. Problem solved. Regards, JEREMY

Collapse -
Re:Simple fix
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 26, 2011 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Simple fix

Jeremy, I tried that and it didn't work. I think the updates that are causing the issue are backed out because they can't be configured. If you know where these updates are downloaded, I might be able to delete them.

Collapse -
I see the problem your having
by LivingForTheFuture / August 26, 2011 3:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Simple fix

This happened on my vista machine 2 years back, It happened when the machine tried installed 64 bit drivers for my display. I ended up having to reinstall windows, I didn't look much into trying to fix the issue because It was a family members computer. I just looked out for that particular update next time I installed windows. I checked youtube and there's nothing on this issue, I am sure you have had the same problems. My best suggestion would to defrag start up. Where these files are hidden in start up folder "I don't know" keep on searching or just reinstall.

Collapse -
Answer
Maybe
by bob b / August 26, 2011 9:42 PM PDT

Start>control panel>windows update>view update history.

Do you see some update/kbxxxxxxx that fails?

Collapse -
Nope!
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 27, 2011 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe

According to update history list, there are no updates that failed.

Collapse -
Maybe #2
by bob b / August 27, 2011 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope!

I suspect you have winup set to auto-update.
I don't do such a thing so I don't know what the results are if an update has a problem.
Never ending loop maybe?

I have the winup settings set to TELL me if there is an update......don't download....don't install.
I then look at the list and select/deselect what I want........click on install.
If there is a problem it's a little easier to back track to see which update is the culprit.

Collapse -
Nope #2
by jbschwartz--2008 / August 27, 2011 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Maybe #2

Auto updates is set to off. The settings are set to tell me if there is an update just like yours. At any rate, this is closing the barn door after the animals have left. I need to know how to resolve the issue not prevent it.

Collapse -
Maybe #3
by bob b / August 28, 2011 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope #2

Does the update history show kb2539636 successful?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.