Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 Is it safe to convert to it?

by lablover / July 15, 2012 11:25 PM PDT

My win XP laptop is 4 or 5 years old and showing signs of problems... too numerous to mention.
I'm looking at Dell again, plus Tosheba for a serious replacement.. I want 6 gb of memory, hi performance video card, 500 gb hard drive, preferably 7200 rpm, etc
What does Win 7 use as an email client? Does it still have Outlook express? If not what email client is MS supoplying with Win 7?
What's the best program to copy my files from xp machine to new machine? .
Any and all information on this buy will be appreciated.
Thanks,

R ichard

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Is it safe to convert to it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Is it safe to convert to it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
A couple of answers
by Jimmy Greystone / July 16, 2012 12:03 AM PDT

A couple of answers

1: No, Outlook Express died with XP, and good riddance to that spammer's wet dream. Vista and Windows 7 have Windows Live Mail which you can download if you want. I'd suggest people use Thunderbird or just about anything that isn't made by Microsoft for security reasons.

2: Why do you need a program? Just get a crossover cable or if you have a router, you can use that to create a simple LAN, copy the files over that way. You can also burn them to a DVD or put them on a flash drive. All kinds of options that do not require additional software. At least assuming you already knew that your programs will not migrate. Any potential compatibility issues aside, Windows is designed to make that sort of thing range from very difficult to impossible.

And as a bonus #3: When I see "hi[gh](sic) performance video card" and "laptop" I cringe. It makes me think that your intention is to use the laptop for gaming. Gaming and laptops do not mix for multiple reasons. Probably chief among them is heat. There is simply nowhere for a lot of the heat generated from gaming to go, so gaming laptops tend to slowly bake their internals into oblivion. You conduct a survey of the most problematic laptops, and top of the list will be gaming laptops and the low end. The former because they simply burn themselves out, the latter because they're composed of such low quality parts in order to at least make some kind of profit margin on them.

If you want to play PC games, get a desktop. You want gaming on the go, check out the DS, PSP, and Vita from Nintendo and Sony respectively. Do NOT look at laptops unless your idea of gaming is a rousing game of solitaire.

Collapse -
No gaming
by lablover / July 16, 2012 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: A couple of answers

I will not be playing games on the laptop.

How do I find all of the options available to replace Outlook Express?

Collapse -
How to find replacements?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: No gaming

I'd use google but a nod to THUNDERBIRD!

Collapse -
by stevenservo / July 16, 2012 9:49 AM PDT

^ i agree that google (gmail) would be the best option makes outlook seem very week

Collapse -
(NT) What is gmail? Not a threat to OE. But Thunderbird may be!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: ...
Collapse -
Answer
Outlook is still available
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 16, 2012 7:05 PM PDT

from the Office Suite CD.

But WLM is much like OE in how it works, it just looks different.

Like others here I use Mozilla's Thunderbird email client software.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.