Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 installation issue

by LenkosZX / February 10, 2013 1:20 AM PST

Please help. I have non-official windows 7 install disk. When I try to install it i 'm getting a message that I need cd/dvd drivers. I also have windows xp disk but it also have problem with it. when I try to boot from winXP cd it gives me "CD BOOT ERROR 0X73. what should I do with my pc, help please? thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 installation issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 installation issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Please elaborate about this "non-standard" disc
by wpgwpg / February 10, 2013 1:38 AM PST

Could the problem be with this "non-standard" install disc? This sounds rather suspicious. If you did get it to install, would you be able to activate it? Of course you could always invest $30 in an external DVD/CD drive, but if the problem is with this install disc, that's not going to help.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
found this on the web. hope it helps
by benny5838 / February 10, 2013 2:03 AM PST

Installing Windows XP on a computer with Windows 7

This article discusses how to install Windows XP on a computer that already has Windows 7 and the steps necessary to create a dual-boot configuration, when you start your computer can use the menu select the operating system to boot.
Certainly more correct sequence is to install the Windows version of the younger to the older. But what do you do if Windows 7 is already installed, and you need to install Windows XP.
If you install Windows XP after Windows 7, lost the ability to download a newer operating system. When you install an earlier version of the Windows installation program overwrites all data in the master boot record (MBR), boot sector, and the boot files. Earlier versions of Windows are not compatible with the new method of downloading a new system. In particular, Windows 7 uses a new BCD store. This store contains a boot menu and all the information about the operating systems that are installed on your computer. Consequently, the Boot.ini file from an earlier version of the Windows operating system can not be used to run it.

Installing Windows XP does not particularly stand out and would dwell on this question makes no sense. Naturally when you install, you must specify a partition, which was prepared in advance.

After installing the Windows XP operating system no choice at startup or, respectively, the ability to download Windows 7 will not.

Windows 7 boot repair in Windows XP
To restore the Windows 7 installation disc, you need to use Windows 7.
Insert the Windows 7 installation disc, locate it in your file bootsect.exe BOOT.

Contents of the folder BOOT Windows 7 installation disc:

Please note that the path to bootsect.exe - F: \ boot \ bootsect.exe. In your case instead of the letter F will be owned by the drive CD - DVD

Start a command prompt, click Start - Run box, type cmd. After the prompt, type the following command F: \ boot \ bootsect.exe / nt60 all

Stroke command bootsect:

The result of the command will restore the MBR of Windows 7 and the boot code that transfers control to the Windows Boot Manager 7.

After a restart I had the boot menu:

1. Earlier Version of Windows
2. Proper Windows 7

In this case, the Earlier Version of Windows yavletsya not direct command run XP, and a menu for all older versions of Windows, installed on your computer. (Yes! It may be that))) I have for example, are constantly Windows 7 and XP, as well as sometimes testing a different assembly.
03-02-2011 06:24 PM

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.