Windows 7 forum

Windows 7 installation doesn't continue after first reboot

by sohigh10 / May 23, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

So, a little background information might be practical.. I have a 2012 Mac Mini, on which I am trying to dualboot Windows 7. I created a bootable USB in the bootcamp utility and started the installation by holding 'alt' and starting from the bootable USB. All installed correctly, until I got to the 'Windows will continue your installation after rebooting' part. After rebooting the mac mini and holding the 'alt' key again to boot into the right partition, it just shows a little flashing white horizontal 'cursor' and doesn't continue to do anything. I left it alone for a while, but it didn't do anything apart from flashing.. So I restarted and tried again by booting to the USB after the reboot part.. That didn't help, as it just gave me the Install now screen.. Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 installation doesn't continue after first reboot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 installation doesn't continue after first reboot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you try the usual?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

That is, you put your Windows 7 DVD into some USB DVDRW to install from? I see folk lose a lot of time trying to install from USB sticks.

Collapse -
No, but it worked via usb before
by sohigh10 / May 24, 2013 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Did you try the usual?

I installed windows 7 before, but while expanding its partition size via PreOS mode I needed my external harddrive, which wasn't involved in the process, and yanked it out. It gave me the message: "The partition tables have changed. Reboot to try again." After rebooting it didn't work anymore and gave me the 'No operating system installed' message. So I booted into OSX and made a bootable USB flash drive again. The first of which almost died after being formatted and partitioned too much because it didn't want to work with bootcamp or the windows 7 usb tool I ran on another windows computer. So I bought another one and tried again. A Sandisk Cruzer Blade 16GB, which ran perfectly and installed as expected. I then got back to my computer and noticed that instead of rebooting into windows after installation, mac osx had booted up. So I restarted the computer and selected, by holding alt, first the USB drive, but that gave me the install now screen, and then the windows partition, which just showed the line cursor. I then retried multiple times, with multiple iso's, but all of them stopped after the rebooting stage of the installation.

Collapse -
Pretty amazing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2013 1:27 AM PDT

Can you imagine the hours lost by trying this from USB sticks?

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.