Windows 7

General discussion

Windows 7 install - Windows Boot Manager

by BMH55 / October 22, 2009 10:52 PM PDT

I am upgrading Vista windows Home Premium 32 bit to Windows7 Professional 32bit.
Windows7 normal install sequence requires rebooting several times however after the first reboot the infamous windows boot manager screen appears with 2 options. 1) Windows setup and; 2) Windows Vista. Choosing 1, the installation hangs and requires shutting down the computer. Choosing option 2, starts windows vista and cancels windows7 installation. Basically I have been road-blocked and cannot complete the install of Windows7.
Can anyone offer help to allow Windows7 install to reboot and continue the install?
Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 install - Windows Boot Manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 install - Windows Boot Manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I didn't hit any key and
by orlbuckeye / October 23, 2009 12:47 AM PDT

it went ahead through the install. I really didn't have much time to even read the option before that screen went away.

Collapse -
That doesn't look quite right.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 23, 2009 5:42 AM PDT

If you're upgrading from Vista to Win 7 the install process should be over-writing the Vista install.

Are you sure you opted to upgrade the Vista installation, or did you bypass that and start a fresh install on a new partition?

When I installed Win 7 RC, I installed onto a 2nd drive, and during the install process I had to reboot, but I had to remove the DVD first. It doesn't tell you that on-screen. When I rebooted I got the expected dual boot menu option, chose Win 7 and the install completed. I would not have expected to see a dual boot option on an upgrade.

Mark

Collapse -
You installed
by tealcat / October 23, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

You installed on a 2nd drive? What you did was use a non-bootable drive for the installation. That's why you're getting the boot manager screen. You MUST install on your primary hard drive in order to bootup to that drive. I suggest that you do an upgrad on the primary drive, and after 7 is installed, format the second drive to get rid of the faulty installaion there.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.