Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional?

by prettypinksundress / December 18, 2011 1:00 PM PST

I am planning to upgrade my OS from Vista to 7. The problem is, I'm having trouble deciding between Home Premium and Professional. Please help!

(I'm not open to getting Ultimate because it's beyond my price range.)

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What version Vista do you have?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 18, 2011 7:53 PM PST
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd772579%28WS.10%29.aspx and

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/what-is-the-upgrade-path-from-vista-home-premium/2c727b32-86ea-4648-b42e-61d447f8c930

I only see an upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional from Vista Business Edition, so if you don't have that, your choice is limited.

Also, according to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/default.aspx I see that Windows 7 Ultimate is only 20 USD more than Windows Professional.

Strangely, when I click either of the Pro or Ultimate links in that page, the price of both increases significantly. I don't know why that is, unless it's because I'm accessing the US page from here in the UK.

So my own personal choice would be Vista to Windows 7 Ultimate. In fact that's what I did. Home Premium would be fine for everyday use but there is little to choose between the Pro and Ultimate versions, except the Ultimate has more language options and also has BitLocker.

Your country's Amazon web site should be able to show you more pricing comparisons.

Mark
Collapse -
Answer
It's fairly simple
by Jimmy Greystone / December 18, 2011 10:03 PM PST

It's fairly simple: When you look at the differences between the two, is there anything about Professional that you think you would use often enough to justify the cost? If yes, buy it, if no, then why spend the extra money? You can also do an "Anytime Upgrade" if you change your mind about Pro, or circumstances change. IIRC, you just pay the difference between Home Premium and Pro, then it unlocks the Pro functions.

Collapse -
Uh, no.
by porsche10x / December 27, 2011 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: It's fairly simple

No, you don't just "pay the difference". Anytime upgrade is 200 to 300% more expensive than just buying Pro in the first place. If you know want Pro, buy it now. Don't upgrade later.

Collapse -
Answer
Pro doesnt have...
by Notrozer1 / December 23, 2011 5:38 AM PST

Professional doesnt have media center and other items that Ultimate does. It was desined for business and not home use. It will work, but unless your running a domain (active dir) system at your house and want to use bit locker to encrypt you drive maybe, then stay with home premium

Collapse -
Pro does have Media Centre
by Zouch / December 23, 2011 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Pro doesnt have...

Or at least my retail box version does.

There are a few extra bells and whistles on Ultimate, most notably Bitlocker but generally, it isn't worth the extra cost and anyway, the poster says it's beyond the budget.

The biggest difference between Home Premium and Pro is the ability of Pro to connect to a Domain Controller network. These are business networks and very rarely found in a home system, unless you are logging in remotely to your work system. If you are currently connected to a Workgroup or not networked at all, go for Home Premium and save a few dollars.

Essentially, I'd go with the same version as you have on your Vista system.

Collapse -
Answer
Another Difference
by trilldax42 / December 24, 2011 7:06 AM PST

Windows 7 Home does not have the XP mode option. If you need the ability to run older applications that won't work on Win 7, you can probably run them using XP mode. When I purchased my new computer, I chose Windows Pro because I wanted the XP mode. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
Answer
remote desktop missing from home
by porsche10x / December 27, 2011 3:58 AM PST

In addition, pro also fully supports remote desktop. Home does not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.