Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 folder view area

by eddiener / May 25, 2012 9:50 PM PDT

It appears that if I open a folder in Windows 7 and change the size of the folder on he screen, all other folders in the same parent folder are now shown with that same size on the screen. I would like all folders to have their own size on the screen and retain knowledge of that size. How can I achieve that ?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 folder view area
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 folder view area
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
How do you do that?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

I'm not sure what the problem is.

In Windows Explorer, how are you changing the 'size' of a folder?

Mark

Collapse -
by eddiener / May 27, 2012 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: How do you do that?

By 'size of a folder' I mean the size of the folder when it shows on the screen, not the size of the files in the folder. If I open a folder and change its physical size on the screen, all other folders that are opened have that same physical size. I want each folder to open with the same physical size it had when I last opened it.

This worked perfectly fine in Vista and all other versions of Windows before it but in Windows 7 there appears no way to get the OS to remember the size and the placement of folders from the last time a folder was displayed on the screen. This is a real PITA.

Collapse -
And you've read where MSFT removed features from Explorer?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 3:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Reply

I think you didn't get the memo. It's been discussed a few times but folk have noticed the Explorer lost some tricks from XP, Vista to 7.

And wait for 8. You ain't seen nothing yet. Oh wait, you'll see less. Why? MSFT has written folk are getting confused.
Bob

Collapse -
You know, this is "very" strange
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 27, 2012 8:45 PM PDT

As a test I have created two empty folders on my Desktop. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

I can find no way to enlarge individual folder icon on the Desktop display. I've tried to drag the edges and corners and that doesn't work. I have gone into Properties, (right click the icon, select Properties), and can find no resize option.

I have right clicked the Desktop and selected View > Large icons, and that works, for all icons on the Desktop.

I've used all versions of Windows (except Win 2000), since Windows 95 came out and I have never been able to resize individual Desktop display icons.

The only other way I can see to do that is to reduce the screen resolution, but of course that enlarges everything and the resolution is poorer.

Can you please give a step by step guide how you do this?

Mark

Collapse -
by eddiener / May 27, 2012 11:57 PM PDT

I do not mean the folder icon. I mean opening a folder in Windows Explorer.

I assume the Desktop which I see when Windows 7 starts is just another folder in Windows Explorer. If I open a folder I have created on the Desktop it shows the items in that folder. I can expand or contract the folder I have just opened by dragging the size. After I close the folder I expect it to be the same size when I reopen it. But if I open another folder on the Desktop, change its size, close it, and open the previous folder again, the size of the previous folder is NOT what it was when I last closed it but the size of the latest folder I opened instead. In other words all sub-folders within any given folder ( the Destop is just another folder ), when opened, are shown NOT with their last opened size but rather with the size of the last sub-folder opened.

In other words Windows 7 no longer retains the size of each individual folder when it was last opened. Evidently Microsoft sees this "one size fits all" as an improvement on previous versions of Windows.

Ugh !!! What a bunch of ?%$#*@^ these Microsoft visual designers are !

Collapse -
(NT) Did it in earlier versions?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: reply
Collapse -
You mean Window.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

You mean Window, not folder.

Everything that opens in a Windows operating system computer opens a "Windows". Each application you open opens a Window. When you open Windows Explorer, it opens a Window. Your browser that you are now using to read these posts is a browser window.

So, you may be using Windows Explorer to open a folder, but what it displays is a window with your folder contents inside.

You can size windows for applications and each application will remember the size the next time you open that application.

Windows Explorer will also remember the size it was the last time you opened it. But it will not remember different sizes for different folder or file locations.

Windows OS has never done this, so nothing broken and Microsoft have nothing to fix.

Mark

Collapse -
by eddiener / May 28, 2012 12:12 PM PDT
In reply to: You mean Window.

I am on the Desktop under Windows Vista. I open a folder I had created on the Desktop. It opens a window the same size when I last had opened it. I open another folder from the Desktop. It also opens a window of the exact same size when I last had opened it. I resize either folder and close it. I then reopen that folder and it retains the exact same size I had just resized it. I can do the same thing for any folder and its sub-folders in Windows Explorer and it works exactly the same way under Windows Vista. Windows Vista works this way because I have checked a folder option which says:

"Remember each folder's view settings."

In Windows 7 ever folder which I open on the Destop has exactly the same Window size of the last folder I opened. If I resize any folder, the next folder I open has exactly the same Windows size of the previous folder I had opened. This works the exact same way for all folders and sub-folders in Windows Explorer under Windows 7. In Windows 7 there is no longer a folder option of "Remember each folder's view settings."

Your assertion that:

"Windows Explorer will also remember the size it was the last time you opened it. But it will not remember different sizes for different folder or file locations.

Windows OS has never done this, so nothing broken and Microsoft have nothing to fix."

is shown to be incorrect.

You may feel that the folder option of ""Remember each folder's view settings" is not important to end users in previous versions of Windows but I assure you that I am not the only one who disagrees with that assumption.

Collapse -
Here's a discussion.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 28, 2012 5:55 PM PDT
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/is-remember-each-folders-view-settings/633192ab-e435-48cd-8fcd-999e7195653c?page=1 is a 21-page discussion on this subject. And there are many, many more hits.

Seems they did this to increase the reliability of Explorer. What you don't have can't get corrupt either. If they didn't change it back in Windows 8 I'm afraid this feature is gone forever. Did you already check in the Consumer Preview?

Then all you can do: build it into your favorite Linux-distro and use that in stead of Windows.

Kees
Collapse -
by eddiener / May 29, 2012 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's a discussion.

I am a programmer myself and a very good one. It is impossible for me to beleive that removing such an easy to program feature has anything to do with the reliability of Explorer. It's not rocket science to create a database where for every folder in your system you keep track of various other items, such as the window size and position of the folder when it is opened. So I doubt it has anything to do with reliability, especially since a much less reliable part of Windows, the registry, has existed for years to hold important data.

No one is ever going to convince me that a real relational database is less reliable than the hierarchical Windows registry, which just about anyone and any program can corrupt without any problem. I am not saying that the registry is a wrong idea, as it certainly is not, but that keeping track of folders is a baby programming task which can be made as reliable as you want to make it.

Almost certainly Microsoft removed the individual folder view because some GUI 'genius' told them that it confuses mama-poppa computer user, and they bought this idiotic notion because that, in their opinion, is their ideal money-making market. Its simplification to the point of inanity, and everyone from Microsoft to the various IM/E-Mail/Social Networking providers and Best Buy software boutiques are now following it to the deteriment of anyone who actually wants to use software and understand how to do anything decent with it.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sadly you'll have to use something else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2012 2:06 AM PDT

Explorer is an one size fits all billion users solution. For what you want you may have to write your own file browser app.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.