Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 Conflict With Powerpoint

by AbeServer / October 8, 2010 10:27 AM PDT

I build a lot of Powerpoint presentations with embedded video.
I had been using Windows XP and Microsoft Office Powerpoint 2007.

Recently I got a new Toshiba laptop running Windows 7. I upgraded to Powerpoint 2010.

When creating presentations with embedded videos...the videos come out with a heavy blue tint to them. Presentations built on the old XP machine look fine on that computer -- but when played using the Windows 7 they have this weird look.

Presentations built on the lap top running Windows 7 also have this weird tint if later played on an XP machine.

Seems to me there must be some conflict between Windows 7 and Powerpoint -- but I have not been able to find a workaround.

Microsoft's user forums have been no help. Suggestions please?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Conflict With Powerpoint
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Conflict With Powerpoint
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 12:55 AM PDT

I've seen this. It was (again) the codec issues. I decline from writing in depth what a codec is but when I see video playback issues I look at codecs and for color sometimes the video drivers.

I have never found this to be a "conflict between Windows 7 and Powerpoint."

Sadly I think this may be of no help since I don't supply a direct fix. I'll have to write for you to tell what CODEC that video is using. Again, since what a codec is, is widely discussed I won't repeat that here but will note I use the GSPOT CODEC APPLIANCE if I need to investigate what codec a video file is using.

Collapse -
by AbeServer / October 9, 2010 3:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh.

I should have mentioned in the original question....that the videos play fine when looked at individually from a file on the is only when viewed from the Powerpoint that they turn blue.

I downloaded the CODEC appliance you mentioned and looked at some of the videos and got the message (Codes(s) are installed)

So while I am a newbie at this -- it still seems to me that the problem is something between Windows 7 and powerpoint.

Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 9, 2010 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...but...
Collapse -
Thanks very much...
by AbeServer / October 11, 2010 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

The link to the Microsoft forum you supplied did the trick. I had been earlier versions of that thread but not the latest.

When I saw the Applian Replay Converter mentioned -- bingo -- I have (had) that installed on my laptop as well -- for converting video formats. Uninstalled it from my laptop and magically the embedded PPT videos now play in the correct colors.

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Thanks for the final report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2010 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks very much...

Glad the sleuthing paid off. I didn't have much to work with but by luck it helped,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.