Computer Help forum

Windows 7 Clean Reinstall Help! (I'm gonna cry!)

by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 2:43 AM PST

I'm a total computer noob that stupidly decided to try doing a clean reinstall on my BRAND NEW Acer Aspire V5-571G (deleting EVERYTHING). Now everything looks huge as if I were in safe-mode, and the internet does not work...

I am trying to burn the drivers to a DVD and install them, but I'm even confused about that. I read somewhere to unpack everything into a folder, then burn. But one of the driver's zip files has a zip file(updater) within it, so do I need to extract that too?

And how do I even use the DVD after that? Just put it in the machine? Will that even help me?

Omg, I really hope someone can help me please, cause I'm about to cry my eyes out, and my dad's so going to kill me!=( Thanks a lot!=(

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 Clean Reinstall Help! (I'm gonna cry!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 Clean Reinstall Help! (I'm gonna cry!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clean reinstall is over rated.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 2:49 AM PST

I strongly suggest you use the restore media as you discover not only the drivers but helper apps are required. A quick look finds no document to support a clean install so you have to create that.

Collapse -
I deleted everything!T_T
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 2:57 AM PST

thanks for your reply, but I followed a tutorial and deleted all the partitions, so I cannot factory restore!=( Really stupid I know, but what's done is done!=(

I did try putting in the backup cd, but it says it is not compatible with that version of windows...

What should I do now?=(

Collapse -
Re: factory restore
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 3:24 AM PST

You didn't tell what disk you used for the "clean install". And you don't tell what "the backup cd is".
I'd contact Acer customer services and order the restore media (not free). And, just for safety, make a copy of them and store that just as safely (but on another place) as the original.

Personally, I've never seen a tutorial telling to delete all partitions to reinstall Windows on one of them. There isn't even a need to delete partition that Windows is currently installed on. So that was a bad tutorial.

And, just asking, WHY did you decide to do a clean install of a new laptop?

Collapse -
I'm just a kid comp noob...=/
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: Re: factory restore

Like I said, I am comp noob, and a kid, so I do stupid things...=( It's cause my comp was slow although it's new, and lots of forums I went on kept saying things like clean install is the only way to truly really get rid of bloatware, and make your comp faster... So I stupidly listened...=(

I REALLY don't want to have to order and pay for restore media...=( I used X17-58997.iso to do the reinstall, burned onto a DVD. Also, when making my backup disc, I was asked to name it "Windows 7 64-bit". Is there really no way to fix this without ordering the restore media?=(

Collapse -
Re: factory restore
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 4:19 AM PST

So you used a general Windows 7 disk for the reinstall. Did it accept your Acers license key? If not, you would have to buy a new one, which is much more expensive than the restore media.

But we still don't know what that "backup disk" is, how you made it, and if it wouldn't have been enough to restore your system without first applying that Windows 7 disk.

Anyway, if you have a fully licensed Windows 7 system now, "all" you need to do is install all Acers drivers and necessary utilities. Alas, there's no uniform method to install drivers, so it's either trying the different possible methods until you succeed, or paying a repair shop to do it for you. And, of course, there's no guarantee that you have all drivers you need.

Spending USD 40 or 50 for that recovery media is by far the simplest solution.

Collapse -
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Re: factory restore

Thanks a lot Kees.

It accepted my license key. Also, my backup disc I made by following the recovery disc creator on Acer, so I don't really know what it is...=( I'm going to try a partition recovery tool first. I'm not sure how to burn the drivers to the dvd cause when I try to load them on windows DVD maker, it says some files cannot be imported because it's not a supported file type.=/

Collapse -
Re: DVD maker
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: =(

I think that makes a video DVD. Only use that when you're planning to look at a driver movie Wink at your TV (or your parents TV, of course).

But why not simply boot from that recovery disc you made and use that to go back to factory conditions? That's exactly what you need. No need to buy it if you already have it!

Collapse -
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 5:30 AM PST
In reply to: Re: DVD maker

Hi, thanks again Kees! lol! if I were in a better mood I would have found that driver movie joke way funnier!T_T

My problem is that when I booted with the disc, it says that it's not compatible with that version of windows, and to please insert the correct version and try again...=(

Collapse -
Re: then delete everything from the disk
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: Compatibility?
Collapse -
Really nervous...
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 6:04 AM PST

Thanks yet again Kees, I just started dban, and it says it's going to take 6+hours. Is this normal? I'm kinda scared doing this cause it says it'll wipe EVERYTHING! LOL! And I keep having negative thoughts like, what if my disc is not the right one?=/

Collapse -
If your disk is not the right one ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 8, 2012 6:07 AM PST
In reply to: Really nervous...

you still have your Windows iso to reinstall Windows from, just as you did earlier. But that will leave you without drivers and such, and you don't like that, do you? So this is worth a try and doesn't do any harm.

Collapse -
In for a long wait!=P
by xxNotHappyxx / November 8, 2012 6:20 AM PST

lol! I guess!=) But I'm in for a long wait cause the time remaining just seems to increase and increase!=0 Does it really take so many hours, especially for such a new computer? But thanks again!=) I really hope it works!=D

Collapse -
I'm so happy~!=D
by xxNotHappyxx / November 9, 2012 11:53 AM PST

Thanks so much Kees!=D I got everything to work now!=) So so so happy right now!=D

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.