Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Windows 7 black screen with curser after login.

by dougrecore / January 21, 2013 9:42 PM PST

When user inputs credentials and hits enter it goes to windows log in screen but when it should go to desktop the user just gets a black screen with movable courser. This has happened to about 4-5 different pc's so far. My current fix is to backup their files on the network, delete their local user account and have them log in as if it was the first time again which creates a new profile and they can then log in with no problems. I saw a thread on this here already but it was about 2 years old and didnt give me any information on what is causing the problem. My question is if there is a fix out for this yet or if anyone has identified the problem yet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 black screen with curser after login.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 black screen with curser after login.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like the old Corrupt Profiles issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:29 AM PST

Research that and the cause and cure is eluding MSFT.
Bob

Collapse -
You can try the following methods:
by KendyBrown / January 22, 2013 5:08 PM PST

1.Boot your computer in Safe Mode , then go to My Computer and right-click on Disk C to select Properties from the dropdown menu. From the Tools tab, perform an error check and disk cleaning.
2.Fix the issue by software. download Windows Boot Genius and install it in a usable computer, then insert a cd/usb into the computer and burn it with the software. Boot your computer from the disk and you can fix the problem soon.

Collapse -
Same issue
by csoule / February 14, 2013 12:24 AM PST

I have encountered 4 PC that go to this black screen after they login. It shows the cursor and even lets you move it around, but nothing else. Not even CTRL, ALT, Delete works. I believe this is caused by a recent Windows update as that the only common denominator I can tell so far. I can get the users in after a boot in safe mode and then restarting it after. I've heard of a fix for the "black screen of death" but I am ify about installing it on my companies networked PC's to try to fix the issue since this is from 2009 and MS surely would have addressed this by now.

From what I've read the system reg keys get fobarred and are not loading the OS after login properly. I am going to try CCleaner and give that a whirl to see it setting the defaults back will work. Unfortunately it seems to be random right now.

Note: This post was edited by a forum moderator to remove link that may not be safe on 02/14/2013 at 8:55 AM PT

Collapse -
Fixed
by dougrecore / March 25, 2013 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Same issue

It turned out to be log-on scrips that were hanging.

Collapse -
Windows 7 Black Screen
by hoverman75 / March 22, 2013 11:41 AM PDT

After many years of using Avast free version I was unable to extend my registration. After uninstalling Avast I experienced the black screen issue. The solution was to run Windows in Safe mode (F8). Run the control panel and delete the explorer.exe process. The computer then started and ran normally. Of course I changed to AVG.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.