Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 availability

by DSullivan51 / October 1, 2013 1:17 AM PDT

My XP machine died. I bought a used one with no hard drive. I bought a hard drive, since mine was ide and the connectors in the new one were sata. I bought a monitor. I bought a keyboard. Then I couldn't find my install CDs, so I want to buy Windows 7. I don't like and don't want 8. I can't get a legal copy of 7. CNet takes you to MS for download. It says "out of stock" and has no purchase option. How can I do this legally?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 availability
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 availability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Best Buy , Amazon
by itsdigger / October 1, 2013 1:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7 availability
Collapse -
for now
by itsdigger / October 1, 2013 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Best Buy , Amazon

why not put Linux on the machine and use it ?

Collapse -
Answer
Not linux
by DSullivan51 / October 1, 2013 2:31 AM PDT

I don't want to put Linux on because this machine is to be used by some real novices. For me, I might, but I don't have time to deal with it not being Windows. I wonder if I can download from Amazon so I don't have to wait. It's a possibility...

Collapse -
BEWARE THOSE THAT SELL A DOWNLOAD!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Not linux

Outside of Microsoft and digital river almost all those you download are cracked, pirate and if you follow the forums, trouble.

So about the novice issue. The Chrome browser is the same there as on my Windows PC. So what's to learn?

Same for Firefox, LibreOffice and more.

-> You can get Linux up today while you wait for your Windows 7 DVD.
Bob

Collapse -
Not Windows?
by itsdigger / October 1, 2013 2:55 AM PDT
Collapse -
I've seen a couple of his videos
by James Denison / October 2, 2013 12:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Windows?

I kept thinking he looked familiar and then finally I realized why. He reminds me of Bowser on Sha Na Na! Good videos.

Collapse -
Bowser
by James Denison / October 2, 2013 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Windows?
Collapse -
Yeah Bowser
by itsdigger / October 2, 2013 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Bowser

I still have a couple of Sha Na Na Lp's hangin' around Cool You'r right Spatry does look like Bowser!

Collapse -
Here's a good Bowser video
by James Denison / October 2, 2013 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah Bowser
Collapse -
James has me
by itsdigger / October 2, 2013 1:55 AM PDT

listening to Sha Na Na on YouTube whilst recording Tower Of Power into my music collection Grin

Collapse -
Hmm got an e-mail
by itsdigger / October 2, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: James has me

about This tracked conversation but can't open My Tracked Conversations

Collapse -
Windows
by bigjohnl / October 4, 2013 10:29 AM PDT

Walmart.

Collapse -
Huh?
by bigjohnl / October 4, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

Linux is much simpler for newbies.

Collapse -
Answer
Legal?
by bob b / October 1, 2013 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Answer
maybe I'll try
by DSullivan51 / October 1, 2013 4:45 AM PDT

Last time I had any experience with Linux, it was a lot more trouble. Maybe I'll try it again. I have a Win 7 DVD on the way, so if it isn't good, it's not much waste. I just don't quite understand how they can feed you the garbage that says "out of stock", as though there isn't any more. A download uses up a copy? I wasn't born yesterday, and it certainly wasn't in the dark hours of the night.

I know about the pirated/cracked copies. That's why I emphasized a *legal* copy. I actually have a way to get an installation DVD of the software. What I really want to buy is the license key. That shouldn't be out of the question.

I have one question, though. I understood that an OEM version is only for sale when installed on a new computer. Have they relaxed that? Or was it never true to start with? I'm really not trying to cheat anyone. I just don't want to be forced to use Windows 8.

If it comes to that, I can get an ide/sata converter and use my XP drive. I refuse to pay big money to use something I hate. I have a computer. I don't want it to be a smart phone. Or tablet. And I don't want Microsoft taking control of my interface and making it like an Apple. I thought that was how they got the market share from Apple in the first place. This isn't intended to be an Apple/MS battle. It's simply about choices - and who makes them for me.

Collapse -
Call MS
by itsdigger / October 1, 2013 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: maybe I'll try

I think you can buy a key

Collapse -
The OEM thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

Let's be honest here and go with the don't ask, don't tell answer. If they ask you bought it with a computer and move to REAL PROBLEMS?

Also, another small issue. I've lost count of folk that scratch, break and lose their Windows CDs and DVDs. Since all versions to date can be duplicated with ease for pennies you may think I'm the worst person in the world when it comes to this one. I'm always thinking "Hmm, why didn't they make a copy?"
Bob

Collapse -
The OTHER OEM issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: The OEM thing.

Those OEM versions lock onto the hardware so when a motherboard blows up your CDKEY may not work on the next PC.

HOWEVER, and so far, Microsoft has issued new keys to those that fall into that trap. My bet is that Microsoft is not about to test the legality of such a license and will just issue a new key if this is some homebrew PC. The license for "real" OEM PCs such as HP/others is different and the license dies with the PC.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-The-Windows-OEM-License-Dies-with-Its-Computer-88220.shtml

Bob

Collapse -
Sound familiar?
by porsche10x / October 7, 2013 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: The OTHER OEM issue.

You might appreciate this:) I've gone through this with Windows XP:

Replace motherboard in old PC.
Windows detects new motherboard, becomes unregistered, asks for product key.
Enter product key, fails validation, prompted to call Microsoft.
Call Microsoft.
Series of prompts goes something like this:
Did you replace hardware? yes, motherboard.
For an upgrade or because of failure? failure
Did you replace with the same model? no.
Why not? old motherboard no longer available.
Did you use one as close as possible to the original specs? yes.
Ding, ding, ding... here's your activation code.

So, at least in my experience, they'll validate your new motherboard installation, but only for repair purposes, not for upgrade (and yes, they ask). Of course, they can only take your word for it.

Oh, you will not get a new product key. You'll get an activation code, good one time only, to be entered right then, during your current installation.

Collapse -
You're right.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2013 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Sound familiar?

I didn't differentiate the codes. But as you suspect, Microsoft is not about to test this license system in the courts.
Bob

Collapse -
You might be
by itsdigger / October 1, 2013 4:56 AM PDT

in for a nice surprise with Zorin. Might just want to keep it around

Collapse -
Use a shell with Windows 8
by BatongBuhay / October 4, 2013 12:00 PM PDT

I recently bought a pc with Windows 8 (because I couldn't find one with the hardware capabilities I needed that was sold with Window 7). I struggled with the Windows 8 interface for a while but couldn't get proficient at it. I installed an interface shell (I use Classic Start Menu) and has never looked back the Windows 8 interface. The shell gives you the feel-like/look-like of Windows 7 (or XP) interface AND the advantages of Windows 8.

Collapse -
Answer
copy of CD/DVD
by DSullivan51 / October 1, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

Well, Bob, to answer the underlying question. I did make copies. Several copies. But with 3 deaths, two moves, a tornado, and a divorce in the family within a few months, and me having the only place with storage space, stuff has gotten crammed in everywhere. Now I've started sorting. I repurposed the cabinet that held all the CDs. I put them somewhere to deal with later. Now it's later and my little brain is not responding. If I could find them, I have at least two full copies of Windows 7 professional, at least 3 copies of Windows XP professional and at least 2 copies of Windows 7 home premium. Each of these has a license key, some of which have never been installed. Of course, those keys are in the same safe place. As soon as I get this resolved, I'm sure I'll remember where that place is - when I no longer need it.

It's hell to get old. - Diane

Collapse -
DOWNSIZING. Here's how I did it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2013 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: copy of CD/DVD

Since I didn't want to keep the OLD CDs around I used CDBURNERXP to create an ISO file of the CD and I could fit dozens of CDs onto a 20 buck 32GB MicroSD card.

To make this tiny thing more usable I put it into this micro adapter.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2JX0YS0279

Now I can create a new CD/DVD on demand. And a backup copy is very small.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
With care you CAN get on Ebay
by James Denison / October 2, 2013 12:24 AM PDT

I've gotten all my software since win98 on Ebay and being careful only had one I had to file with Ebay for money back. I look for individuals with good ratings with a number of sales, usually more than 20 items across a longer period like 6 months or greater. I look for unique pictures, avoid all those standard product pictures, because the unique pictures are pretty good proof you get what you see. Also bad photography is actually a good sign when buying the software from individual, especially those with the flash reflections on them from a cheap home camera. Just read the descriptions carefully and make sure they say they provide the product key with the item. Here's some I'd feel fairly safe with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-64-Bit-Retail-License-Media-1-/251349791463?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3a859d72e7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Full-Retail-Version-64-bit-and-32-bit-DVDs-/121185728929?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item1c373b79a1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-32-64-Bit-Upgrade-Retail-1-Computer-/181230150238?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2a3228a25e

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-GFC-00020-by-Upgrade-for-Windows-/300977675505?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item4613aadcf1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Retail-Package-Full-Edition-Gfc-00019-/221290226207?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3385ece21f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Windows-7-Home-Premium-Upgrade-Designed-for-Vista-32-64-bit-/161117925384?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item2583607008

Collapse -
Answer
A Couple of Places
by proseandpoetry / October 4, 2013 9:56 AM PDT

A couple of places I recommend for buying Windows 7 are Amazon.com and newegg.com. Both of these stores offer Windows 7 in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. You are unlikely to get any counterfeit software from these merchants, and they have the stuff in stock.

Good luck to you!

Collapse -
Answer
w7 purchase
by tedtks / October 4, 2013 10:01 AM PDT

ebay 18k hits
amazon 4600
newegg 7k
they are out there - just look around Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 7 availability
by Montty2 / October 4, 2013 11:48 AM PDT

Newegg.com Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM $99.99
Free Shipping

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 7
by pauly1651 / October 4, 2013 12:25 PM PDT

If your PC is able to run Windows 7, you can find it at newegg.com.

Collapse -
I second the advice to buy from Newegg.
by sbill / October 4, 2013 2:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

Don't download the software, and definitely don't buy it on Ebay! Most of the stuff on Ebay is pirated anyways, so it will stop working after a few months when the product key becomes blocked.

An OEM/System Builder copy of Windows 7 from Newegg (or another REPUTABLE online dealer such as Tiger Direct/CompUSA) is your best bet. You will receive a real Windows disk, as well as the COA label which you stick on the computer, so you never lose your product key. With downloaded software, you don't receive a disk, and the product key is sent via email, so when the time comes to re-install, you won't have it.

I buy OEM Windows from Newegg all the time for computers which I build or repair, and I have never had any problem. I also buy my computer components from them, such as memory, motherboards, and hard drives, and never had any problem with that either.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.