Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows 7

Resolved Question

Windows 7 and potential hardware issues

by davidorion1 / December 19, 2012 11:11 AM PST

Thanks to all ahead of time for reading this and any assistance you may be able to provide. I'll start with my computer info:

1 ALIENWARE AREA 51 X58
1 WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM SP1
1 ASUS X58 MOTHERBOARD P6T DELUXE
1 INTEL BLM 2.66GHZ i7-920 A51 X58
6 ELPIDA 2GB DDR3 PC3-8500 U-DIMM 1067MHZ CL7 JEDEC STANDARD
1 SANDISK Extreme 480GB Internal Serial ATA Solid State Drive
4 SEAGATE 1TB 7200RPM HDD 32MB
1 PHILIPS DH4B1S 4X SATA HH BLU-RAY DISC
1 KILLER NIC K1 6.550"
1 INTEGRATED SOUND ASUS P6T-DELUXE
1 ATI HD4870 X2 2GB PCI-E
1 ALIENWARE MAIN BOARD RGB REV 5.1
1 CONTROL ELC DIP CARD PASSIVE
1 AVC INTEL I7 HSF Z1ML005001 X-58
1 AW ACOUSTIC PADDING FOR DESKTOPS 2.0
1 750 WATT OEM ATX PSU

I have three problems that I've been unable to resolve:

1) No version of Internet Explorer will work on my computer. Every time I open the IE browser I get a message stating "Internet Explorer has stopped working". I've called Microsoft tech support and their troubleshooting wasn't successful. Their recommendation was to reinstall Windows 7.

2) I can't access the iTunes Store. The following error message appears: "Secure link to iTunes store failed". I've called Apple tech support and their troubleshooting wasn't successful either. They recommend reinstalling Windows 7.

3) I can't connect a wireless printer to my computer. I've tried several different brands and each time I try to connect the printer wirelessly the executable just stops. I also called tech support for these printers and they recommended reinstalling Windows 7.

So, I obviously have tried reinstalling Windows 7 several times. As noted above, I have four 1 TB HDDs and one 480 GB SSD. Every time I've done a fresh reinstall on any of those harddrives I get the same three problems I listed above.

I've also replaced my cable modem and wireless router because that was also a recommendation I was given by the above tech support companies.

The interesting part is that when I run Windows XP Virtual Mode the three problems listed above go away and everything works perfectly. Argh!

Anyone have any clues as to what may be going on? My guess is some kind of hardware error that I haven't found yet.

Thanks again,

David

davidorion1 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 and potential hardware issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 and potential hardware issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you or anyone try to use IPV6?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 19, 2012 2:11 PM PST
Collapse -
IPV6 and Bonjour
by davidorion1 / December 19, 2012 2:22 PM PST

I had to Google what IPV6 was...I ran an IPV6 connectivity test and it stated that my internet service provider only provides IPV4 service at this time.

I uninstalled Bonjour, rebooted my computer and tried connecting to the iTunes store again. Still isn't working. I'll plan on leaving it uninstalled for now though...appreciate the link to that thread.

Thank you!

Collapse -
The messages I read sounded as if
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: IPV6 and Bonjour

I ran into a PC that the owner for unknown reasons had enabled ipv6 on the PC and no internet. Your XP MODE success points me to settings in that area.

Sorry but I don't remember exactly where this is so I'll give a link about it.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

Be sure that first graphic is close to your setup and has IPV4 in it.

I only provide this IPV6 link so you have it handy. I'm not writing to use it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

I could be wrong about this, but I offer it because it sounds as if? If I think of anything else, I'll add it and any more story or clues may help avoid a reinstall.

-> There is another area I want to cover here. The Date and Time must be right and you must not have an expired Norton/Kapersky/other antivirus because those can block the connection (partially!) "just to be safe."
Bob

Collapse -
IPV6
by davidorion1 / December 20, 2012 6:10 AM PST

Hi Bob,

Thanks again much for the response and info. I followed that first link you sent and went through the instructions. IPV6 was enabled for some reason so I went ahead and disabled it per the screen shots and restarted my computer. Unfortunately that seemed to have no effect but it was definitely worth a shot. Also appreciate the IPV6 link for reference use that you provided.

I confirmed that the date and time are correct and I installed AVG two days ago (and ensured it was up-to-date) when I did a fresh reinstall on my SSD.

I'm going to continue looking into the IPV4/6 settings and see if I can come up with something.

David

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by davidorion1

Collapse -
Have you checked the system event logs?
by wpgwpg / December 19, 2012 11:58 AM PST

I would think that whatever the problem is, there should at least be clues in the system event logs. You can check the rather cryptic system event log. To do that click Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer. Once in Event Viewer click on the system log and scroll through the entries looking for those flagged "error" to see if you can find hints as to where the problem could be. I assume you've checked Device Manager to be sure there're no ! or ? by any of the entries.

Another thing I'd try would be to pull some of that hardware out piece by piece and see if I could isolate the problem. E.g. you could easily disconnect 3 of those hard drives for a start and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Event Log Results
by davidorion1 / December 19, 2012 2:05 PM PST

Thank you so much for the response and detailed advice! I have checked the Device Manager and there are no ! or ? to be found. I've also tried pulling out the hard drives and the BluRay player and that didn't seem to change anything. I don't know my way around the inside of a computer that well so I'm not sure what other hardware I could pull out myself.

I've checked the event log as you described and found errors relating to all three issues. However, I'm not sure what to make of the errors that I'm looking at. I'll post below so you can see what they say.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Faulting application name: DeviceSetup.exe, version: 28.0.1315.0, time stamp: 0x507e98b5
- System
- Provider
[ Name] Application Error
- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 100
Keywords 0x80000000000000
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2012-12-19T06:02:40.000000000Z
EventRecordID 1320
Channel Application
Computer David-PC
Security
- EventData
DeviceSetup.exe
507e98b5
BfLLR.dll
482b1695
c0000005
000000000000a607
01cdddae3a855cd4
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Photosmart 7510 series\Bin\DeviceSetup.exe
C:\Windows\system32\BfLLR.dll
b2038878-49a1-11e2-a6af-00248c1f2b88
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 9.0.8112.16457, time stamp: 0x50a2f9e3

- System
- Provider
[ Name] Application Error
- EventID 1000
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 100
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2012-12-19T05:17:56.000000000Z
EventRecordID 700
Channel Application
Computer David-PC
Security

- EventData
iexplore.exe
50a2f9e3
unknown
c0000005
01cddda8340ce9b6
C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
unknown
71cee0f9-499b-11e2-898c-00248c1f2b88

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 9
- System
- Provider
[ Name] Bonjour Service
- EventID 100
[ Qualifiers] 0
Level 2
Task 0
- TimeCreated
[ SystemTime] 2012-12-19T07:36:27.000000000Z
EventRecordID 1599
Channel Application
Computer David-PC
Security

- EventData
ERROR: handle_resolve_request bad interfaceIndex 9
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you again for your time and thoughts

David

Collapse -
Those event manager entries are indeed cryptic
by wpgwpg / December 20, 2012 12:19 AM PST
In reply to: Event Log Results

and I don't consider myself an expert on them. I find that they do give helpful clues though. I suspect a lot of that stuff has meaning to whoever wrote the particular programs involved, but one thing that stood out to me was the HP Photosmart 7510 setup program. I'd try disconnecting and uninstalling the driver and related software for that and see what happens.
Another thing I noticed was the BfDLLR.dll file. A Google search found this link
http://www.freefixer.com/library/file/73654/ which says in part:
"BfLLR.dll is part of (TM) Killer PCI-E and developed by Bigfoot Networks, Inc. according to the BfLLR.dll version information. BfLLR.dll's description is "BFLLR Dynamic Library". BfLLR.dll is usually located in the 'C:\Windows\system32\' folder. None of the anti-virus scanners at VirusTotal reports anything malicious about BfLLR.dll." so I'd try to find out more about this as well.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Great clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 12:47 AM PST

"1 KILLER NIC K1 6.550"

I wonder what happens if they remove that NIC, it's drivers and try the onboard LAN?

Collapse -
Killer NIC Card
by davidorion1 / December 20, 2012 6:20 AM PST
In reply to: Great clue.

I had never considered that the Killer NIC card could be having a negative effect, good thought! I wasn't able to figure out how to physically remove the card, however I did remove the drivers for it and disabled it under Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections. I then plugged the cable into the onboard LAN (Marvell Yukon Connector) and rebooted my computer. After that, I ensured that the IPV6 setting wasn't checked as per the instructions you gave before. Still no luck though, had no effect. I'm unsure whether physically removing the Killer NIC card would rule it out as the problem or whether disabling it and removing the drivers like I tried was enough.

Are there other hardware options that may be an issue? I was thinking perhaps the motherboard...

Thank you!
David

Collapse -
Time for THE TEST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Killer NIC Card

Go get UBUNTU and make a bootable LIVE CD or DVD. This is what I use for the test. I don't have to know Linux at all. Most hardware (Ethernet!) works and we can run firefox and see if it comes up.

Sorry, I didn't ask to disable ipv6, I was asking if it was enabled over ipv4. At this point we need to know if the OS is blown or the hardware.
Bob

Collapse -
UBUNTU
by davidorion1 / December 20, 2012 3:30 PM PST
In reply to: Time for THE TEST.

I made a bootable UBUNTU disk and loaded the OS to try some tests. I was able to access the internet via Firefox and I downloaded the executables for IE, iTunes and my HP printer. However, when I clicked to open the executables I received an error stating "Unable to load archive folder". I played around as much as I could to try and figure that out but I couldn't make any headway. Is there something I'm missing or need to be doing instead?

Roger that re: IPV4/6.

Thanks,
David

Collapse -
I didn't write to download executables.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2012 2:07 AM PST
In reply to: UBUNTU

THE TEST is to test if the ethernet hardware was working. Sadly I think it's a Windows OS issue. But how to fix is going to be the tough part.
Bob

Collapse -
Event manager entries
by davidorion1 / December 20, 2012 6:13 AM PST

Yes, those event logs are cryptic indeed! I appreciate you looking at them and your feedback. I plan on calling Microsoft, Apple and HP and giving them the results that I posted. Hopefully those event errors will give them some clues as to what is going on.

That link regarding my Killer NIC card is very interesting. I'll post some more info on that below.

Thanks again!

David

Collapse -
PROBLEMS SOLVED!
by davidorion1 / December 22, 2012 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Event manager entries

So I was given some advice to download a Windows repair tool at the following address: http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

The Windows Repair All In One software worked like magic! All three of the problems that I mentioned in my first post have been solved! IE9 is working completely fine now, no issues. I was able to access the iTunes Store for the first time in years. And I connected my printer wirelessly for the first time ever. I'm still in shock and awe that it worked so well and solved all those problems! Hopefully this will help someone else!

David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.