Computer Help

General discussion

Windows 7 64 bit will not install IE 9

by foxygrandma / March 24, 2011 5:51 AM PDT

Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 1
Enclosure Type: Notebook
2.20 gigahertz AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
500.11 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
408.22 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space
Board: Compal 30FC 01.99
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Hewlett-Packard F.49 08/17/2009

On this site http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/confirmation.aspx?FamilyID=62E67358-DA9A-499D-AA19-EB93996CA8E0 Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Windows 7 64-bit Edition and Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit Edition
I get a message that setup needs to close programs and I have a choice to Close programs for me and to ignore any open programs. I have tried both ways and always get this message in return: Internet Explorer did not finish installing. See the Internet Explorer Troubleshooter, which I have been to but does not help

On this site http://www.msn.com/?ocid=hmlogout, the IE 9 free download, I get a message that IE9 is now installed and to restart computer, After it is restarted I go to Internet Explorer, and do alternate H and it shows I still have IE 8.

I have run a disk check for errors, Went to Microsoft Fixit to try to fix IE. That did not work so I let Fixit reset IE 8. Then have gone back to try to install IE 9 and get the same messages as above. Not sure what to do now

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 64 bit will not install IE 9
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 64 bit will not install IE 9
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since Windows 7 has both 32 bit and 64 bit ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 24, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

versions of Internet Explorer, it sounds like you might be opening the 32 bit version.

Right click on the icon you are using to start Internet Explorer and see what the path to the executable is. If it is something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe (note that (x86) in program Files) then you are using the 32 bit version. Locate the 64 bit version in C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe.

If you have Internet Explorer open and click on Help > About Internet Explorer. If it doesn't mention 64 bit, it's 32 bit.

Collapse -
Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit
by foxygrandma / March 25, 2011 1:13 AM PDT

Thank you. Edward. About Internet Explorer shows 64 bit. In my start menu I have two IEs- one Internet Explorer 64 bit and one Internet Explorer. When I right click on either of them I get a lot of options, among them, Properties. The 64 bit shows in the Start In space: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. The other one shows: %HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%. I did not see in either where the path to the executable is.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.