Windows 7

General discussion

Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OEM

by Scien / October 6, 2009 11:04 AM PDT

I accidentally posted this on the hardware forum... twice. So please excuse me if it seems that I am spamming... I'm not =P.

So, I'm trying to build my own "rig". I've got all my components down... except for the OS. Now, I'm kinda deterred by the 200 dollar price tag... until I saw that Newegg has a preorder for an OEM version. Now, I'm really excited about this, except... it seems too good to be true. I was under the impression that OEM software usually had mandatory hardware that came along with it. Am I just blind and don't see something, or is that really Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit with no strings attached, just less than the retail copy?

So, could someone clear this up for me?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OEM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium OEM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From what i've read about the issue is that
by orlbuckeye / October 7, 2009 12:50 AM PDT

Technically Neweeg and others that sell OEM software are supposed to sell a piece of sofware with it(Even a cable counts). So this is why most brand names come with the OS already installed. Boutique and barebones companies sell the OS seperately for the user to install themselves sometimes or even without an OS. The difference between retail and OEM is OEM is tied to a motherboard nut microsft has been known to allow the transfer after a MB failure. Retail can be installed on multiple pcs but not used at the same time. Retail you get Micosoft support and OEM your on your own or if a manufacturer install you can get support from them.

Heres a good article

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2007/01/8730.ars

Collapse -
Thanks for the reply.
by Scien / October 7, 2009 7:47 AM PDT

Alright, that clears it up a bit.

Well, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and buy it then.

Collapse -
I'm running OEM
by Ol Rod / October 7, 2009 9:31 AM PDT

on a home built. I got my OEM XP from newegg. It came to me for just the price that they advertised. As Buckeye said, OEM is locked on to the first computer that you install it on. I say if you want to live with that OEM restriction, then order and let Newegg worry about if they want to include some very cheap hardware. I just checked, and I see that the pre-order deal ends Oct. 20. I have my pre-order already in.

Collapse -
Hello
by Lucky Shot 410 / November 12, 2009 5:07 AM PST

I have purchased many OEM versions of Windows in the past from Newegg. It comes sealed in a Jewel CD/DVD case with the Operating System (OS) Disc, cover and key. The OEM dose not supply you with the pretty pamphlet nor does it come in a slide open box. It loads and operates exactly as a retail version with one difference. If you need tech support for any reason, the key that you will give to Microsoft will tell them that it is a builders or OEM version and they will not freely support the product. If there is an issue with the Operating System (OS) disc, Newegg is very helpful and usually will replace a defected disc within a short time line. That time line changes time to time so please verify that with them before you spend your hard earned cash. OEM is really the only way to buy unless you just can't live without the pretty Microsoft box. Hope this helps...

Collapse -
hi
by mxt3 / November 24, 2009 11:09 AM PST
In reply to: Hello

I'm building my own system as well and did find the price gap between OEM and retail version was too go to be true. The article was great help though i still have a question. If later on i wanna upgrade my system, which is runing a OEM version, to the next generation of MS OS for instance, can i do that? Or i have to prety much live with dat OEM till i the end cosz the restriction? Thank you so much for your help

Collapse -
Currently, OEM version do not qualify
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2009 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: hi

for the next OS. I've not tried this myself but that's part of the reason for the friendlier price.

Collapse -
Here's what I read at our local computer store
by Steven Haninger / November 24, 2009 7:26 PM PST

that offers Windows 7 as OEM. The store is Microcenter whose first store was in my town and now has several around the nation. The display of the OEM packages has a sign stating that this software is designed to be sold only with complete system builds. As such, you could probably buy a bare bones rig and get the OS to install yourself. I purchased an OEM version of XP for my old rig and I bought all the needed hardware but from more than one source. At that time, the understanding was that OEM software needed to be purchased with hardware but what components were required for that purchase was unclear. I remember seeing on line "e-tailers" selling these with a $5.00 hard drive cable and such just to meet the "hardware" requirement. In any event, that's what I read at Microcenter and I suspect that's more in line with what MS desires. Perhaps someone who represents MS and reads these posts can clear this up or offer a link to an explanation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.