Windows 7 forum

Question

Windows 7 32-bit to 64 OEM license (no key)

by Mac_Noobie / December 16, 2012 11:07 AM PST

Hello to all and thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered.

I am a run of the mill Windows XP user with a small amount of PC knowledge and am driven to making sure that I get it right the first time (I know a little about a lot, as is with someone that hasn't gone to school for these things). So, I guess detailed step by step instructions would be helpful!

Here's the situation:
I recently got a hand me down laptop. It is a Toshiba L505-S59903. It has Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 with an OEM license (mass manufacturer license that is supposedly embedded into the BIOS). Which may be a good thing since the COA sticker isn't legible. I recently maxed out the RAM for the motherboard (8GB) and would like to utilize the new hardware. Since Windows 7 32-bit only recognizes 3GB or so of RAM, I want to switch to the 64-bit version on the same license (which is well within legal rights as far as I know).

The thing is that I don't have a start-up disk since Windows was installed by the manufacturer and would need a link to a CERTIFIED download location, as well as maybe some assistance on how to make a bootable ISO disk that it will work the FIRST time (sorry, but I've wasted too many discs on bad info in the past). The system also has Microsoft Office (which I'm not sure if it is part of the OS) as well as several other aftermarket programs that I wold like to keep that could be backed up. However, I'm not very familiar with which programs and/or licenses would need to be carried over and which are not standard on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (or how to do so, especially in reference to programs that would need the license). I do not have a start-up disk for any of the aftermarket programs either. I guess I would be willing to sacrifice the "extra" programs if need be and do fresh downloads if necessary.

So I guess that's about it. Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 7 32-bit to 64 OEM license (no key)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 7 32-bit to 64 OEM license (no key)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Essentially
by Jimmy Greystone / December 16, 2012 11:31 AM PST

Essentially you're going to have to choose between a 64-bit Windows and the bundled programs like MS Office. There are legitimate downloads of Windows 7 ISOs for those who have a license key (and you'll need to use a program like Magic Jellybean to find it), but then you'll lose access to Office because the only way to go from a 32-bit Windows to 64-bit is a fresh install. You also won't be able to just pick and choose what programs you want to install from the recovery partition on the laptop. You will also need to ensure that Toshiba offers 64-bit Windows 7 drivers for that laptop, and if not, track them down yourself.

There is also the possibility of contacting Toshiba and asking them if they have 64-bit restore media for that model. It won't be free, but it will be less than buying a copy of Windows 7, you won't necessarily lose MS Office, and it will have all the drivers baked in already. That would be the best first step to take IMO. Otherwise, it might be worth considering whether or not it's really worth all the effort, since the above is just a loose outline of what's involved. If you get stuck somewhere along the line in the process, would you be able to resolve it? If not, then it might be a good indicator to just stick to what you have.

Collapse -
Reply to Jimmy Greystone
by Mac_Noobie / December 16, 2012 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: Essentially

Thanks for the reply Jimmy,

After some review, almost all of the programs that I would like to keep ARE from Microsoft or Toshiba. This is my first ordeal with laptops and the drivers and software that would be needed to run the hardware (and I'm a little intimidated as to the operational status after a fresh install). I can say that the only thing that I would miss is Microsoft Office, If it's not actually included in Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (of that I am unsure, clarification would be appreciated). All other programs that are present are opensource or freeware, other than the software from Toshiba and Microsoft office. I'm not sure about the difficulty of getting the software from Toshiba but, I don't think that would be a problem as this machine isn't that old.

Thank you for the help and further input

Collapse -
I should have elaborated a little.
by Mac_Noobie / December 16, 2012 1:59 PM PST

I want to keep Microsoft office. Is there any way that I can, using the same license/key (I don't have the key) All else would be a sacrifice that I can deal with.

Collapse -
That dpends
by Jimmy Greystone / December 16, 2012 11:00 PM PST

That depends on whether or not you have the Office license key. If yes, then you at least have a decent chance. If no, then you're quite simply out of luck.

Call Toshiba's support line and ask about getting a physical set of restore media of the 64-bit variety for your computer. I know it can often be an exercise in anger management trying to deal with call center agents, I've been asked to help to mock calls at jobs in the past, but honestly most companies do not pay well enough to provide adequate training to those call center reps. Seems to be kind of a common theme in today's business world. Training is becoming essentially non-existent, and while there might have been some person who did training on this or that function, they've moved on to some other company, and no there's no one. So what little training people may get, is now even less. Food for thought on a Monday morning.

Collapse -
Laptop
by pgc3 / December 16, 2012 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: That dpends

Jimmy, I wonder, since it sounds as if this is a factory (OS) install..if the prior owner used the disk create option, if not, the present owner SHOULD be able to create his/her own disks, most Toshibas require, I believe 4 DVD'S to accomplish the task. But I think your point of contacting Toshiba under this circumstance may be the better way to go since he wants to go from 32 to 64 bit. As far as Office goes, if this is a reload, it is likely bye bye to that unless, again, he can find the license key, you know how picky MS is about such.But the bright side is IF Office does go away, simply download Open Office/Libre Office and go from there.

Collapse -
*disappointed sigh*...Okay
by Mac_Noobie / December 16, 2012 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: That dpends

Hey, thanks for the help anyways Jimmy.

I really wanted to keep a legit version of Microsoft office. If anyone knows a way to pull the licensing info out of the software please let me know ASAP, as I will be wiping everything in a matter of hours.

Also, I'm still in need of a good link to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit bootable ISO and a good way to write it to disk. So if someone knows those details I would appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Mac_noobie

Collapse -
Brief update
by Mac_Noobie / December 17, 2012 12:33 AM PST

First off, thanks pgc3 for your input. I think I was typing when you replied. And yes, Openoffice was my first thought for a non-Microsoft option. As far as contacting Toshiba, could you guys elaborate a tad... I'm a little lost. Are you saying that Toshiba may send me a hard copy of Windows 7 start-up disks? Or that I may be able to pull start-up disks out of the software that is already installed? If that's the case, that would take all of the guessing out of this mess.

Other than that I have continued researching resolutions without contacting the good ol' "help desk" that Jimmy very accurately referred to above. And I believe I have found a decent link to get Windows Home Premium 64-bit ISO at the following link: http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

I have also found testament to something about windows 7 being able to burn ISO files to disk natively (without any outside software).

If this does or does not sound like good info to whomever reads this next, please reply.

Thanks,
Mac_Noobie

Collapse -
If you have not formatted ...
by Edward ODaniel / December 18, 2012 3:19 PM PST
In reply to: Brief update
Collapse -
Answer
You cannot upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit without
by orlbuckeye / December 18, 2012 8:34 PM PST

doing a full install which requires a formatting of the drive. Files and data can be copied to an external and copied back after the 64 bit OS is installed. Installed applications will have to be reinstalled. Now you can run 32 bit MS Office in 64 bit Windows 7. You just can't run 64 bit programs in 32 bit Windows. Applications are backward compatible not forward.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.