Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Windows 32 bit or 64 bit???

by capnsassy / September 3, 2013 5:25 AM PDT

My computer needs to be replaces according to a tech who came to diagnose it. I am currently unemployed and do not want to spend any money unless I absolutely have to, but need one for job hunting etc. I have Windows XP Professional 64 bit. Someone told me that 64 bit is being phased out & not to buy a computer with that one it. Another person said he was wrong....32 bit is being phased out and everything will eventually be 64 bit. So confused and can not afford to make a financial mistake. Can someone please help me?

Thanks!

Cecilia

capnsassy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 32 bit or 64 bit???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 32 bit or 64 bit???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by capnsassy

Collapse -
Re: bits
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 3, 2013 5:39 AM PDT

For Windows XP and Vista it's advised to use the 32-bit version of the OS. Not the 64-bit version.

For Windows 7 and 8 it's necessary to buy the 64-bit version if your PC has more than 4 GB of RAM. Otherwise part of it is not used. For the currently common PC with 4 GB of memory it doesn't make any difference, not even in price, although - on the long run - 32 bit will be phased out, but that most like will happen only after you discarded your new PC in 2020 or so.
If the PC has (only) 2 GB a 32-bit version might even be better, although that's unclear.

All current hardware is 64-bit (but wil run a 32-bit OS very well).

Kees

Collapse -
Windows 32 or 64 bit??
by capnsassy / September 3, 2013 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: bits

Thanks for the info...looks like I have more to figure out in order to make a wise computer purchase while unemployed! I back up my files to an external drive every day & am hopeful it will last a little longer!

Collapse -
Well capnsassy,
by itsdigger / September 3, 2013 8:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 32 or 64 bit??

The thing is , if you buy another computer, it's already going to have an operating system installed unless you buy a "Bare Bones" computer with no operating system installed. There are Bare bones computers for sale for pretty cheap. Look here -> https://www.google.com/#q=barebones+computers. Might be an option...Digger

Collapse -
Windows 32 or 64 bit?
by capnsassy / September 3, 2013 8:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Well capnsassy,

Well now, I have another possibility to consider...had not thought of that! I have seen some desktop models that offer Windows 7 but most have Windows 8. My son keeps telling me to get a laptop for versatility. I've used several belonging to others...hate the keyboard...no key pad, no mouse!

Your suggestion certainly opens another option, which I will check out!

Thanks for your suggestion!

Cecilia

Collapse -
unless you have a job
by itsdigger / September 3, 2013 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 32 or 64 bit?

that requires you to carry a computer, why buy a laptop. You get way more bang for your buck with a desktop not to mention a desktop is easier to maintain,you can upgrade or replace parts and desktops have a way longer lifespan that laptops. I suggested a bare bones also thinking you may save money for now if you were able to use some parts from the old computer like the hard drive . Anyway Best of luck to you in you job search .....Digger

Collapse -
Windows 32 or 64 bit??
by capnsassy / September 4, 2013 4:27 AM PDT
In reply to: unless you have a job

Thanks Digger! I am currently unemployed...my job got downsized in May and have not yet found another so I have no job need for a laptop. The points you made are good arguments for a desktop, my preference anyway!

Thanks to all who have replied...your input has been very helpful!

Cecilia

Collapse -
But remember...
by Zouch / September 6, 2013 10:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Well capnsassy,

...if you buy a bare hardware system with no operating system, you'll need to put one on and unless you choose Linux, the price of a new OS can be a bit eye-watering. The machines you buy with an OS installed, typically have an OEM version of Windows for which the manufacturer pays M$ peanuts, usually less than $30. You can only get that version by declaring yourself a "System Builder".

Collapse -
Zouch
by itsdigger / September 6, 2013 10:13 PM PDT
In reply to: But remember...

The OP says she has XP Pro to use for now. I know it's an old system but she's trying to save money for now.

Collapse -
Answer
You want 64 bit
by wpgwpg / September 3, 2013 5:35 AM PDT

Most new computers these days have 4 or more GB of RAM, and are expandable to 8 or 16 GB. You can't address more than 4 GB with 32 bit software, so the hand writing is on the wall. It's the 32 bit versions that are becoming obsolete. This isn't going to happen overnight, but if you look at computer ads, you won't see many new PCs with less than 4 GB, and that means they're 64 bit systems.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Windows 32 bit or 64 bit??
by capnsassy / September 3, 2013 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: You want 64 bit

Thanks for the info. Next thing I'll need to do is figure out how much RAM I need & that will tell me if I need 32 or 64 bit, then see what I can afford while I am unemployed.

Collapse -
You might try looking for organizations who accept
by VAPCMD / September 4, 2013 11:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows 32 or 64 bit??
by capnsassy / September 4, 2013 8:44 PM PDT

Thanks for the suggestion! My niece's son is 17 and interested in computers. I plan to offer it to him when it dies but if he does not want it for a parts warehouse, I'll see if I can donate it elsewhere.

Cecilia

Collapse -
Ok but the point was ...perhaps you might be able to
by VAPCMD / September 5, 2013 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 32 or 64 bit??

get a free or very low-cost PC from one of these organizations.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Answer
Windows 32 or 64 Bit?
by pauly1651 / September 6, 2013 12:54 PM PDT

If you are running WIndows XP, then the 32 Bit operating system is the better choice. Bump up the RAM to a full 4GB to get the most out of the 32 Bit PC.
However, changing to a Windows 64 Bit system is clearly a better way to proceed if you can. Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 8 64 Bit are what is installed on most new PCs now. The 64 Bit system can address and use all the RAM attached to the motherboard, this way your PC will run faster, be more stable, and be much better at multitasking.

Collapse -
Answer
More to think about
by PCuser / September 6, 2013 5:28 PM PDT

A year ago I bought a Windows 7 laptop. The vendor installed the 64-bit operating system for me, without asking which one I would like. Despite the fact that the laptop has 6GB of RAM I would have wanted the 32-bit system. Now, a favorite scanner and a specialized utility won't work on the new system. I keep my old Windows XP around for those purposes. As you think about getting a new computer think about the hardware and software that you want to use on it and see if they will work on a 64-bit system or if they need a 32-bit system. Replacing hardware and software to run on a new system can be expensive.

Collapse -
Correction
by PCuser / September 6, 2013 5:31 PM PDT
In reply to: More to think about

In the middle I meant to say " I keep my old Windows XP computer around for those purposes."

Collapse -
Answer
laptop or desktop
by James Denison / September 7, 2013 2:46 PM PDT

If you don't like laptop keyboards, maybe it's because you've not tried the keyboards on 17" laptops. Toshiba and Gateway both have a 17.3" laptop with the wide keyboard for prices between $375 to $380 at Walmart and maybe as inexpensive at other places too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.