Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows 2000 - Windows Installer mucked up

by Karhu56 / July 31, 2009 2:19 PM PDT

Somehow I messed up my Windows Installer where it won't install anything. Been looking for answers for awhile now so I don't even remember what I did.

All I want to do is reinstall the installer. But I haven't a clue. I only get lost in the Microsoft site. Anything I know I've taught myself by both books or trial & error.

When I try to install I get the following message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

os name: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
version: 5.0.2195 Service Pack 4 Build 2195
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: GP6-300
system type: x86-based PC
processor: x86 family model 5 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~298 Mhz
BIOS version: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 release 6.0

Thank you for any and all help!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 2000 - Windows Installer mucked up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 2000 - Windows Installer mucked up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Installing "what?"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

It matters. For example I can get that to happen on titles like Paint.net. The fix differs from other installer issues.

In rapid fire mode, what I do.

1. Uninstall the installer. (may be challenging to something to skip.)
2. Use the "Installer Cleanup Utility" at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 to remove PENDING INSTALLS
3. If any .NET install issues use the removal tool at http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2005/04/08/406671.aspx
4. At this point you go get the latest installer and install that.

Also, since these Windows 2000 (W2K) installs tend to collect a lot of "crud!" I suggest a run of CCLEANER in it's DEFAULT settings and clean it 3 times with the SAME SETTINGS it installs with to eject old temporary files.

Bob

Collapse -
Uninstall the installer?
by Karhu56 / August 2, 2009 12:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Installing "what?"

My brain is in another world this weekend. I thank you for your help, but how in the world do you uninstall the installer?

I haven't a clue where to start!
Thanks Frank

Collapse -
See method 2 at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 6:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Followed the steps
by Karhu56 / August 3, 2009 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: See method 2 at link.

Mr. Proffitt-

Followed the steps of Method 2 from the link you gave me. After stepping away for a while, I returned to installing Adobe Reader.
But I had no success. As with trying to install another program or two I got the same message as before about not running in safe mode (now that I know what it is - I wasn't). So I am left with the fact that I still haven't installed the Windows Installer correctly.

I did double check that the following files: Msi.dll & Msiexe.exe & Msihnd.dll were all in the \System 32 folder both in and out of safe mode.

Not sure what direction to take now. Is there some diagnotic tool that will tell me specifically what is wrong?

Once again thanks for your help - Frank

Collapse -
Got to thinking about Method
by Karhu56 / August 3, 2009 4:04 PM PDT
In reply to: See method 2 at link.

Mr. Proffitt:

After thinking about method 2 and all, I figured that method 1 wouldn't hurt. I reregistered the installer, held my breath and decided to try installing Adobe Reader.

It worked! I can't thank you enough!

However - I tried another program and that one didn't work. Got the same error. So I guess that's 50/50. Am trying to think of another program I wanted that I had the same problem with to see which way the chips lie.

Thanks again and again for your help! Hope my luck continues to hold!
Frank

Collapse -
Best of continued luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2009 9:08 PM PDT

(which some say we make ourselves.)

Glad the ideas and links helped here.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.