and restart" - If I go into terminal services manager and kick some
people off that have been idle for a while, and reset the sessions I
just disconnected, more users can connect. I have tried everything I
can find online and I still have this issue! What the heck is going on
here? Thanks

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows 2000 Terminal Server Logon Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows 2000 Terminal Server Logon Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No details?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2011 9:19 AM PDT

How many users?

Is the machine big enough for them?

Do you have the CALS?
Bob

Collapse -
users
by ttudboz / June 30, 2011 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: No details?

Right now only about 20-25 users can be logged on concurrently before more users start to receive the registry error message upon attempting to log in.

I have plenty of CALs..... and even as recently as last week I had 40-50 users working on this server concurrently with no issues (well other than the normal w2k issues Silly )

Collapse -
Again no details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: users

As time passes some updates can cause what was a working machine to need more RAM or a change.

The change was noted in the error message yet you didn't tell why you didn't do that.

I know some get stuck on "it worked before" and we have to give those folk more time to work it out.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried that
by ttudboz / July 1, 2011 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Again no details.

I have increased the registry size, tried all the tricks like adjusting registry elements by hand, etc... Deleted user profiles so that a new one would be created... No luck. I'm working on setting up a 2008 terminal server that I can test my apps on right now.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2011 2:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried that

Let me part with a note from the past about the memory setting noted in the error message. I've had to boost that about 10x the default in systems. It was fine in 2000 but even a new browser could swamp that old default.

Working with so few details I don't have much to offer.
Bob

Collapse -
a year later...
by oneclick / October 2, 2012 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck.

Bob:
Please excuse an elementry question: On the TS side of things, which log would be best to view evidence of sessions being Terminated, "kicked off", or booted out and reasons for un-expected errors and terminations?
thanx

Collapse -
None that I know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2012 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: a year later...

We have to take into account all the user is reporting, take a look at the Event Viewer and maybe use Process Explorer.

But all this is going to overtax the everyday user. That is, they are usually not ready to dive in or expect tutorials.
Bob

Collapse -
might even be the cisco in my case
by oneclick / October 2, 2012 6:15 AM PDT
In reply to: None that I know of.

could be the cisco pix has reached it's lic limit. I have to look into that too. I'll check the logs in there.
thanx Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.