Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windowns messenger really annoys me...

by trimakichan / September 20, 2005 1:44 PM PDT

Everytime I start my computer, the windowns messenger just starts automatically. I've tried run/msconfig..and unchecked it, but it'd still be there everytime i reboot or turn on my computer. I've also tried the gpedit.msc to disable it. It's still there. Does anyone know how to turn it off?
Tri

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windowns messenger really annoys me...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windowns messenger really annoys me...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows messenger really annoys me...
by Tufenuf / September 20, 2005 1:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
by trimakichan / September 20, 2005 4:00 PM PDT

thanks...I've already done that, but it's still there.

Collapse -
Re: Windows Messenger
by Tufenuf / September 20, 2005 10:59 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows messenger..
by Rajan / September 22, 2005 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Windows Messenger

When MSN Messenger is opened,click "Tools" from menu bar,clk "Options",Select "General" remove the check mark from"Automatically run messenger service when i log on to Windows";clk "Apply",clk "OK".When u restart next time MSN Messenger will not open,untill you double clk MSN messenger ICON.Have a nice day.Rajan

Collapse -
Thank you so much!
by lunaray / September 25, 2005 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows messenger..

I've wanted to get rid of that damn MSN Messenger opening
on start-up for the longest time. I should have checked options.

Collapse -
I've tried this a long time ago and it worked for me
by ackmondual / September 26, 2005 1:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows messenger..

...Concerning winXP Pro SP1 and SP2 a while back. I also unchecked it from run-->msConfig-->startup tab, just to be safe

Collapse -
by Tufenuf / September 21, 2005 2:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
by trimakichan / September 21, 2005 8:45 AM PDT

Thanks Tufenuf...I will try.

Collapse -
Get Rid Of Messenger
by ctbw / September 22, 2005 8:32 PM PDT

This is a little script I found somewhere on the internet. Copy it by highlighting it. Then go to your start button, then "run". Paste the text into the Run box and click "OK". It will get rid of the Messenger annoyance for you.

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

ctbw

Collapse -
Get Rid Of Messenger .......
by donnyboy204b / October 5, 2005 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Get Rid Of Messenger

Thank you ctbw. I was having the same problem on a new laptop running XP Pro. I tried every solution I could find and nothing worked and I was getting more and more frustrated so I thought about cnet forums and I found your GREAT answer to another member who was having the same problem. I ran this file and immediately got rid of the %$#^@&% messenger popups !!

Collapse -
GREAT!
by onosson / October 7, 2005 1:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Get Rid Of Messenger

A great solution. I had tried others, including the option tab in messenger, and grc's shoot the messenger. However, these would still allow messenger to run when running outlook express. The copy-paste-run solution has solved this once and for all!

Collapse -
by ladytrickster / September 23, 2005 3:48 AM PDT

DO I Really Need To Keep Messenger? I am also very annoyed by it. It keeps cutting out, then I can't do anything in the internet or do e-mail. Except for IM, which I never do anymore - why does Messenger interfere with everything else? If I dump it, according to everyone's good advice & leads - what will happen to my computer?

Collapse -
Windows Messenger really annoys me ...
by n2b / October 7, 2005 6:27 AM PDT

Nothing will happen to your computer. It will work just as well as before without the annoying pop up. To see how I fixed mine please read my response in this forum titled "Windows XP Messenger Service vs Windows Messenger" on 10-7-05
n2b

Collapse -
Kill The Messenger
by lostkiwi / September 23, 2005 7:22 AM PDT

This is the one that I used, have had no problems since.
Also Ad-Aware has a plug-in that you can get to disable messenger.

Collapse -
Apologies
by lostkiwi / September 23, 2005 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Kill The Messenger

I meant shoot the messenger.

(I can't see where to edit..)

Collapse -
TWO Messengers
by ChazzMatt / September 23, 2005 5:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Kill The Messenger

You all are confusing the two Messengers that Windows has. Actually it's Microsoft's fault. There's an internal communication thingy that computer administrators are supposed to use to send messages -- that's the pop up screen gizmo that spammers have found. It's been in Windows for years and was called Windows "Messenger."

The other is "MSN" Messenger, also called Windows Messenger in early versions of XP. It's the competition for Yahoo Messenger and AOL Instant Messenger. It has buddies and stuff.

Which one are you talking about?

Collapse -
Windows XP Messenger Service vs Windows Messenger
by n2b / October 7, 2005 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: TWO Messengers

See my response of 10-7-05
n2b

Collapse -
Shoot the messenger
by Jelly Baby / October 7, 2005 4:01 AM PDT

"Shoot The Messenger" disables the windows messenger pop up which displays, amongst other things, network alerts ("Server NORMAN is shutting down....", "UPS is running on batteries" etc. etc.
This service has nothing to do with MS messenger but killing it is no bad thing unless you need to see network alerts.....

Collapse -
shoot the messenger
by bojojr / October 8, 2005 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Shoot the messenger

in outlook express, go to tools, options, then general. there's a box you can uncheck that's called, "automatically log me onto windows messenger. I unchecked that one along with the one that's in the options of messenger and it doesn't open up anymore unless "I" want to use it.

Just a thought,
Ralph

Collapse -
Windows XP Messenger Service vs Windows Messenger
by n2b / October 7, 2005 6:16 AM PDT

Tri,
There is a difference between the Windows XP Messenger Service and Windows Messenger instant message client. The former is for network administrators a way to communicate with users within his network. If you are not on such a network you don't need it and the Messenger Service can be disabled. What Tufenuf sent you was a link to eliminate this Messenger Service.
The reason you are still getting the pop up is the Windows Messenger instant messaging that Microsoft put in the XP with a confusing similar sounding name. In fact you need to get rid of it in a three step operation or else it will keep coming back.

1. Right Click the Windows Messenger in System Tray open it
-- Go to Tools, Option, Preference Tab
-- Under General, deselect "Run this Program when Windows Starts". Click OK
-- Close Windows Messenger
-- Get rid of the icon in the System Tray by right click and choose Exit

2. To stop it from opening at reboot,
-- Go to Start, Run and type "msconfig". Click OK
--Open Startup Tab and deselect "msmsg". Click OK

3. Microsoft has put in a sneaky third level from where the Windows Messenger will open. It will open and run if you use either Outlook Express or Outlook E-Mail program. If you use either of these two, then open your E-Mail program. In Outlook Express do the following
-- Go to Tools, Options, General Tab (In Outlook, Other Tab)
-- Deselect "Automatically Log on to Windows Messenger". (In Outlook, "Enable Instant Messaging")

Now you should be OK with this annoying imposition

n2b

Collapse -
A very easy method to shut down messenger
by snharden / October 7, 2005 7:52 PM PDT

Go to http://www.grc.com and download "Shoot the messenger". Its only a 25KB download and takes just a couple seconds to download. After that just follow the dead easy instructions and you can shut it down permanently.

There are other free programs there as well which are all useful. Its a very good site geared toward internet security.

Hope this helps ya out.

Collapse -
(NT) 02 options:
by lath / September 21, 2005 11:03 PM PDT

#1. Right click on messenger icon (in your task bar). Go to "Option", uncheck: "automatic start...." and "allows to run in background...". This option still leaves the process "smss.exe" in background, though you won't see the Messenger pop up when turn on computer. If you want to get rid of messenger completely, then go for option 2. (but Messenger is cool....)

#2. First, Open C:\Program Files; Second: press Ctrl-Alt-Del to jump to Task Manager, then find the smss.exe, then choose "end process". Jump back to Program Files folder, right click on "Messenger" folder, choose "rename"; rename it by any name you want such as adding "OFF". You have to do this action really quick before Windows automatically runs the process "smss.exe" again.

Collapse -
It seems that
by Themisive / September 21, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: (NT) 02 options:

you may have Microsoft Outlook on your machine, if so, then go into Tools/Options and to the page tab "Other", at the bottom of this page, make sure the Instant Messaging check box is unchecked.

At the same time, if you don't use Instant Messaging at all, go to Control Panel then Add/Remove Programs. on the pane at the side you'll see a button for Add/Remove Windows components, click on it, at the very bottom of the list is Windows Messaging with a checkbox beside it, make sure it is unchecked.

Close out you desktop, (actually windows will take a moment or two to delete it) and you shouldn't have any recurrance of it.

Collapse -
yes
by ChazzMatt / September 23, 2005 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems that

another way of doing it is to install AOL's Instant Messenger and make that the default Instant Messaging Program, then turn that off. Hard way around to get rid of Microsoft's annoying Instant Messenger, but it works. Microsoft is staffed by idiots who think that just because you are about to send an e-mail that you also want all your buddies to see you online. NO. I want to check my e-mail, that is all.

Collapse -
Windows Messenger
by bigbear639 / September 23, 2005 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) 02 options:

Only one person gave the correct solution. All the others are for MSN Messenger. "Shoot the Messenger" disables WINDOWS Messenger. It can easily be turned back on and off at will.

Collapse -
sort of...
by ChazzMatt / September 23, 2005 5:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Messenger

early versions of XP called it Windows Messenger, too. It was confusing, because of the computer administrator Messenger service hidden in Windows which causes those pop up messages. then they started calling the IM program MSN Messenger all around.

Collapse -
I think he IS referring to MSN Messenger, not the other
by ChazzMatt / September 23, 2005 5:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows Messenger

You all are confusing the two Messengers that Windows has. Actually it's Microsoft's fault. There's an internal communication thingy that computer administrators are supposed to use to send messages -- that's the pop up screen gizmo that spammers have found. It's been in Windows for years and was called Windows "Messenger."

The other is "MSN" Messenger, also called Windows Messenger in early versions of XP. It's the competition for Yahoo Messenger and AOL Instant Messenger. It has buddies and stuff.

Which one are you talking about?

Collapse -
turn off messenger easily
by danthevan / September 22, 2005 9:23 PM PDT

you have to have administrator rights to do this go to administitive tools in control panel click on services when the next screen comes up scroll down till u see messenger right click go to properties stop service when stopped click on start up type then disabled click apply then ok and your done without having to mess with your registry i do know how you can remove it completley but have to delete a registry entry which the odd pc doesnt like ..............dan

Collapse -
Window Messenger
by Maisie663 / September 23, 2005 4:08 AM PDT

Mine pops up only as an icon as never signed into it, but if you click the icon, I receive a warning about other operations such as MSN. Outlook Express etc are using the the application, then I notice it says I am not signed in. It does not irrate me there and I don't think it wise mess with regestry entries as it could mess up ones system.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) messenger buy a MAC
by charles soehnlein / September 23, 2005 12:06 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.