Windows 7

Tip

Window too big for the screen.

by Ad-nan / April 6, 2012 7:38 PM PDT

Hello Cnet,

I have been encountering a problem with a small netbook which has a 1024 x 600 screen resolution. The problem is that the window of some application is un-resizable ( I've also tried to download a small registery hack which makes it possible to resize un-resizable windows, but it seems like it won't work with that one)

So, as you know, it is possible to partially hide a window on the left, right and bottom borders of the screen, but it is impossible on the top border, where the window would just go down again (while it can't be maximized though ).

Thus, this is my question:

Is there any way to make it possible to hide a part of the windows over the top border so I can see the bottom of the window ?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window too big for the screen.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window too big for the screen.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Edit.
by Ad-nan / April 6, 2012 7:40 PM PDT

Just a mistake in the question:

Is there any way to make it possible to hide a part of the window* over the top border so I can see the bottom of it ?

Collapse -
Third post.
by Ad-nan / April 7, 2012 12:58 AM PDT

Well, that's the third post, but I'd like to add one more thing:

I have noticed that it can be possible to do that while not dragging the window from its top but somewhere in the bottom if available. Still not available for that window I am trying to fix.

Collapse -
It's a bit convoluted
by Jimmy Greystone / April 7, 2012 3:31 AM PDT

It's a bit convoluted, and I swear there used to be a way to do this with the keyboard and mouse, but I can't get it to work in Win7. It used to be something like Ctrl + Left Mouse button or maybe Alt or Shift, I forget. I don't think it works with Aero, but that may not be a problem on a netbook. Play around with different combos, maybe you'll hit on it.

Anyway, first you press Alt + Space to get the window menu, then press "m" to select the move option, after which you can use the arrow keys to move the window around.

Collapse -
Nope.
by Ad-nan / April 8, 2012 12:02 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a bit convoluted

Sorry guys, that didn't work.

The "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is already grayed out and is not checked, it was even not the way I had to get there, but I succeeded getting to that option, but that didn't help.

And I couldn't find the Advanced Settings in the Graphic Properties.

Any other possibilites ?

Collapse -
Is this only one application?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope.

If so, which one?

Why is it impossible to resize the window? is there something about windows in netbooks that are different to laptops? In a laptop I can use the middle box of the resize boxes top right hand corner to "Resize down", and once I have done that, I can drag the tops and sides to whatever size I want.

Don't netbooks allow that?

Mark

Collapse -
They do.
by Ad-nan / April 9, 2012 1:49 AM PDT

But the window I have is similar to that one you'll find when you check your network connection status. It's just un-resizable.

Collapse -
Wish I was there.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

Sorry but as I don't have your model I can't supply a step by step but I can write the pan and scroll does solve this issue. It's supported and has solve this one in every instance. Well, excluding those times we can't get on the customers machine. This one is solved, but I fear you may need someone to try this for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: moving a window
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 5:57 AM PDT
Collapse -
That's funny
by Jimmy Greystone / April 8, 2012 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: moving a window

That's funny, because I could swear I already suggested #1 yesterday. Seems unlikely that I'm the only one who can see that post given that this whole little sub-tree springs off of that post. Guess it will go down as one of life's great mysteries.

Collapse -
(NT) Sorry, I hadn't seen that.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 8, 2012 10:37 PM PDT
In reply to: That's funny
Collapse -
They both did.
by Ad-nan / April 9, 2012 2:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: moving a window

It seems like I misunderstood something, the moving process must be done using the arrow keys, which I strangely didn't notice, I thought it would be the same using the mouse, I apologize for not reading your posts as well, but I can say I was quite upset that night.

I even tried Altmove before getting to notice that, it also worked.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
So is it fixed?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 9, 2012 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: They both did.

If so, good work and glad you got it sorted.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) It is.
by Ad-nan / April 10, 2012 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: So is it fixed?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.