Windows 7 forum

General discussion

"Window Security Alert" virus, system restore won't work

by TheNetFactor / December 19, 2010 4:39 AM PST

This is the 3rd time I've gotten this Window Security Alert virus. So thoroughly annoying. I can't do system restore unless I reboot and press F8. This worked fine the last time. Now when I try to use the system restore it fails because it says I am probably running anti-virus software that needs to be disabled. But of course I can't desable it and then restore because I have to reboot! Ok, so I figured I'd just reinstall windows from my new external hard drive but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. Please oh please help me?! (And, as an aside, wtf is this Windows Security Alert thing and how do I keep catching it?)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "Window Security Alert" virus, system restore won't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "Window Security Alert" virus, system restore won't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info
by TheNetFactor / December 19, 2010 4:46 AM PST

I have a Seagate FreeAgent 1.5 TB hard drive. I used it to backup the laptop that is infected only about a week ago.

Collapse -
It's a scam
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 19, 2010 8:38 PM PST

Why do you keep getting it? Can't really say, but it is downloaded from the internet so that probably means some scam web site or other. If it is allowed to download thru a browser then it is halfway there, because most anti-viruses do not check what is going on inside a browser session. If they did, browsing would drag down to a crawl because the AV would be scanning every single element of any web page.

It's scareware. The Window you see tells you your computer is infected and displays how many infections there are. That's total lies of course but the window offers to clean your system if you purchase their products.

I don't get them, but I use a non-IE browser, Firefox, and it is armed to the teeth with security add-ons like WOT, (Web of Trust), which tells me if any web site I am visiting, or intend to visit from a search engine, is considered dangerous. I also have NoScript, which disables all scripts until I allow them. IE doesn't have such add-ons.

What to do:

1] In Safe Mode, (F8 on startup), run your anti-virus.

2] On this computer, download and install both Malwarebytes' Anti-malware and SUPERAntiSpyware. One at a time starting with MBAM, run each, update their definitions, then run a full scan.

3] If this virus doesn't allow you to use both MBAM and SAS in Normal Mode, try them both in Safe Mode. If you are unable to update either, run just MBAM in safe mode because it's installer file should have installed sufficient definitions to perform an initial scan and remove this.

4] If this virus doesn't allow you to download MBAM and SAS, use another computer, (relatives, friends, etc), to download both the MBAM and SAS installer files, then copy them to some external media like a CD or memory stick. At the same time, download MBAM's definitions from http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe and copy them to the media. Then use that to copy to your computer.

5] In some instances malware will try and prevent known anti-malware scanners from installing. In those cases, before copying MBAM to media, rename the installer file to some other name, eg "GoGetum.exe". Copy the file to the infected machine and run it to install MBAM. You may have to rename the MBAM executable application file to some other name before running it. Then use the updater file to update MBAM then run the scanner.

6] You 'may' have to run the MBAM scanner from Safe Mode.

7] After scanning with MBAM, then run SAS.

Mark

http://data.mbamupdates.com/tools/mbam-rules.exe

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.