Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WINDOW's XP Won't boot properly. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!

by wirelesscop / March 27, 2005 5:20 AM PST

Hello,

I am running Windows XP. I hace had NO problems up until today with the computer. While attempting to power it up today, I get the following screen:

"We Apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if your aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

I think have the options to re-start the computer in:

-Safe Mode

-Safe Mode with Networking

-Safe Mode with Command Prompt

-Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)

-Start Windows Normally

NONE of these options will let me start my computer normally. The screen with all these options keeps coming up over and over and over again. My computer won't boot up to its normal state.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how I can get things back to normal?

Thanks for any and all help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOW's XP Won't boot properly. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOW's XP Won't boot properly. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot problem
by phantazy / March 27, 2005 5:45 AM PST

Each individual will offer different advice, but if it were my problem, I would try to start in safe mode. If this continues through a series of black and white loading screens you will get a pop-up message asking if you wish to continue in safe mode, in which case you click on 'yes' or do you wish to start System Restore, in which case you choose 'no' and SR will continue automatically. This assumes you have system restore configured. If you can't do system restore, you will have to go the command prompt route and try to go for 'msconfig' and delete carefully services one by one until you find one which causes your problem.

Collapse -
XP won't boot
by pcprob / April 23, 2005 5:26 AM PDT

I'm having the same problem. The problem started after shutting down my computer. During the shutdown process a message was displayed (to the effect that) Windows is updating. Do not turn off the power to your computer. 6 files are downloading.

The next day (4/16/05) when I attempted to boot my computer I found the system to be in a continuous cycle wherein the Windows Starting GUI was displayed for approximately 5 seconds and then the system attempted to reboot. This will go on forever.

I had not recently installed any software or hardware so I don't believe that is the issue.

Since I always maintain a backup hard drive, I installed it, powered up and had no problem booting. However, when I went through the shut down process I once again got the same message that Windows is Updating, do not turn the power off... The up shot is that the backup HD will no longer boot.

I've tried F8 during the boot process. Selecting any of the options presented does not work. The system continues to cycle.

I've tried booting from my XP CD however that doesn't work either. The system continues to cycle. That being the case I suspect at this point that I can not even do a clean install.

I should mention that 10 months ago I had a similar problem with a previous computer. I don't recall the events prior to the problem happening however I couldn't solve the problem and ended up replacing the entire computer.

Collapse -
Not being able to boot from...
by Michael Geist / April 23, 2005 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: XP won't boot

the XP cd means:

1) the boot order is not properly set in the Bios
2) the CD you are using is not bootable
3) your CDROM drive is not functioning

Fix one or more of these and try a Repair install.

Collapse -
Not being able to boot from the XP cd
by pcprob / April 23, 2005 6:45 AM PDT

The DVD/CD drive is the first boot drive in the sequence. Furthermore on two occasions during the course of this problem I've hit an "F" key that allows the boot sequence to change. On both occasions, because the XP cd was in the drive, I selected it to be the first boot device.

I checked the XP cd in another computer. It does automatically start although technically I suspect I haven't proved that it will boot.

I haven't pulled the ROM drive to assure that it is working. I also don't have any reason to suspect it. I tried putting a Maxtor MaxBlast 3 CD into the drive and found that it loaded the MaxBlast software.

Collapse -
Note you are correct>>>
by Michael Geist / April 23, 2005 7:41 AM PDT

"I checked the XP cd in another computer. It does automatically start although technically I suspect I haven't proved that it will boot."

There's only one way to know.

Collapse -
replace comp !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by gopinath_sastra / April 24, 2005 8:09 PM PDT

bob
you can very well cotact the system manufacturer and they should let u boot from cd
pls dont replace the computer because booting from the cd is rather is a simple process and if it is a custom built then ask the person who built it for u to change the boot priority

Collapse -
Crashed after Microsoft Updates on 4/16/05 TOO!!!
by bhwow / April 27, 2005 2:07 PM PDT

I had same problem after updateing Windows - crashing on April 16th. Pc crashed after start up & finally wouldn't reboot. Since my back-up CDs were XP service pack 1, and sp2 is installed - they wouldn't work. So I restored the whole system, Windows that is, added a few essential programs then deleted most of them due to more crashes. Did notice that the TCP service was using 96%+ of the CPU - causing everything else to stall & I believe caused the crashes too. Tried turning off TCPServ with task managers -> processes, then everything worked fine until the service reacivated somehow. Since which I am again in the position that I cannot boot my machine!!!
Inside my PC is clean, I run anti-spy/malware, update, defrag, even dskchk /f, and everything else regularly to keep my pc running smooth, efficient and bug free.
One other odd thing, both times (now & before I restored it) when starting my PC it would not recognize the C: drive, or D: (restore) drive? Even tho between these no boots there were a few times Windows started, then crashed, so my C: & D: drives are still there?

Collapse -
Boot problems@startup
by hleaz / April 26, 2005 3:49 AM PDT

I had the identical problem and I found a free download@registryfix.com.I downloaded the software which corected the problem

Collapse -
Try this as a last resort
by mcgilbdd / April 28, 2005 12:34 AM PDT

Borrow a Win 98 floppy boot disk that will boot to Dos
and also installs an Oak Technology driver for the CD Rom.(any local computer shop should loan you the floppy unless they are a bunch of jerks) Change directory to the CD Rom drive,(probably E Drive) and put the XP Install disk in the drive. The flopy creates a "virtual C Drive" in memory, and the hard disk should show up as D drive. The CD Rom would then in most cases appear as "E" drive.It should recognize the Install disk, and you can then type "setup", and reinstall WinXP.

The reason I suggest this is because SP2 upgrade makes changes which causes some drivers not to work correctly, and some CD Rom players will no longer run on SP2 untill a patch is installed.

This is worth a try before you throw the thing in the dumpster. If you can enter the bios "setup", and it is showing the correct amount of memory, and is showing the hard drive, ect...then there may not be any hardware problems at all....you just need to format the hard drive and start over.
mcgilbdd

Collapse -
One last thought
by mcgilbdd / April 28, 2005 12:48 AM PDT

If your bios has native support for a CD Rom (which most of the new computers do) then you should be able to bootup on the CD , regardless of what's on the hard drive. If it will not boot to the cd, and you have native support in the bios, then the only thing left before replacing the main board is to try to flash the bios.

Many manufactures of main boards and computers packages made major changes to the bios after SP2 was released. Try using a floppy and the dos program from the manufactures' web site to flash the bios with the latest version. If that doesn't work......replace the board.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.