Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

Window Media Playe radio tuner

by bware70 / April 11, 2007 8:01 AM PDT

Hi all,
When I upgraded to XP I had to go to WMP 11. WMP 9 had radio tuner to get to streams such as
"therocker.us", with WMP 11 I can't find how to do this. Search has not helped.
Thank You,
Bill

Win XP HE w/SP 2

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window Media Playe radio tuner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window Media Playe radio tuner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
10 has Napster and link is online stores
by darclew1 / April 11, 2007 8:30 AM PDT

Same for 11, I don't use it. I also deleted a connection to www.windowsmedia.com, which has the various choices to use. If you go to Program Files, Windows MediaPlayer, right click and the is the old one in there mplayer2 which is the wmp 6.4 which is usable but your only choice is to delete WMP11 and it will rollback to WMP 9.0

Collapse -
by bware70 / April 12, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

I can't remove WMP 11. The panel that asks are you sure? , the buttons to affim are not there ! I can't find the old version either.

Bill

Collapse -
You may have to remove the old fashioned way
by darclew1 / April 12, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

go to run and type in regedit, click ok and there is the registry. At the top click Edit and you will see find. Type in Windows MediaPlayer 11 and click search.
You see in same cases a top link and if in the space between taht and next top link, delete the top one with a right click and select delete. to keep searching, hit F3 or Enter. this is for the left side but the right side may have windows mediaplayer 11 with other items, delete only wmp11, keep searching until it says: "Finished Searching.". WMP 11 should be missing now. You may have to go to www.microsft.com to get WMP9.0 or 10.0 installed. I can't use explorer for this and www.microsoft.com since both use internet explorer for my ISP and above link. Darrell L

Collapse -
went to link to get this for all Windows MediaPlayers LINK
by darclew1 / April 12, 2007 10:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Windows Media Player 11
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 12, 2007 12:03 PM PDT

Bill..

If you should decide to stick with WMP 11, this link may help with what you're looking for. You should see your question asked and answered there.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0109.mspx

( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/howto/mp11/navigate.aspx )

If you want to uninstall it, and you see no option in Add/Remove, this might help. Scroll down to "Installing and Removing the Player". Then "Rolling back to a previous version of the Player". See the 4th suggestion, which reads, 'If Windows Media Player 11 is not displayed in the list of currently installed programs, then try the following'

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#Mediainfo

Because you said after upgrading to XP, you had to go with WMP11, I'm not sure the above would apply. I would think it depends upon how you upgraded. The links are certainly worth looking at, if only to provide you with additional information about the player, should you decide to keep it.

Maybe it will help.. Confused
Carol

Collapse -
by bware70 / April 13, 2007 4:11 AM PDT

I did that & deleted "windows media fo brmat 11 runtime" but when I try to install `WMP 9 it still tells me a newer version is installed & stops. When I try to delete program files\windows media player folder it says it is being used, I reboot & same thing. What's up with that ?

Bill

Collapse -
Windows Media Player
by Carol~ Forum moderator / April 13, 2007 8:12 AM PDT

Bill..

Had you tried removing any files, prior to following the directions? Or maybe some of what Darrell had already suggested? If so, I don't know, if the instructions for "Rolling back to a previous version of the Player" would work, or not. It's my understanding, that manually deleting files, might alter the ability to uninstall it. I'm not sure.

If you hadn't tried to remove any WMP11 files, and only followed the instructions, did you get as far as where the "Softdate Update Removal Wizard" appears, after removing Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0? Also, did you read everything in the article, to include the "Note" on the bottom part, which in part says, "You might not be able to roll back to a previous version of the Player if the hidden folder $NtUninstallwmp11$ is deleted from your computer. Some non-Microsoft programs (such as CCleaner) delete this folder in an attempt to remove unwanted files from your computer. I'm not saying it is the reason, you're having problems. There could be quite a few reasons. I don't know enough about what you've done so far, or possible errors along the way. And for that matter, I don't know that much about WMP11 either.

Sorry I can't be of more help.. Sad
Carol

Collapse -
Window Media Player radio tuner
by bware70 / April 14, 2007 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Media Player

I have deleted no files, just registry entries mentioned previous post & Microsoft User-Mode Driver Frameworks Feature Pack 1.0. Now, WMP 11 has put an icon in quick launch bar. There is no entry in registry or add/remove programs. I am going to give up.
Thank you for your help.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.