Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Window Explorer Crash

by Gatorhater / August 30, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

Hi everybody this is my first visit to cnet for technical help and I am unsure as to what info of my computer you'll need to help me but here is my problem. Whenever I browse the contents of my harddrive window explorer crashes. It does the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Im running windows xp home edition, pentium 4, 512 ram, sp2.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Window Explorer Crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Window Explorer Crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You "Browsing"...............
by Trance_Zac / August 30, 2006 5:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Window Explorer Crash

using "Windows Explorer" or opening folders in "My Computer" when this occurs?

Collapse -
by Gatorhater / August 30, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

I got to mycomputer and I browse through files on my separate (non xp vital partition) and the error message comes up. There is no real opening of files.

Collapse -
by Trance_Zac / August 30, 2006 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: hmm

You're browsing files on your "Storage Partiton"???

Collapse -
by Gatorhater / August 30, 2006 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: So..........

yes It seems to crash every damn time I look around in my storage partition for more than a few seconds.

Collapse -
OK, Now that we ......
by Trance_Zac / August 30, 2006 12:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Yup

Established the problem, Did you scan the partition for viruses & spyware. Defrag it as well.

Have to start with a clean partition before you can properly diagnose anything

Collapse -
by Gatorhater / August 31, 2006 1:33 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, Now that we ......

yea I scanned the partition with Avg Free edition antivirus as well as spybot search and destroy, and an online scan from etrust. Although they did turn up a few results they were healed and or removed. However I have not yet tried to defrag the disk.

Collapse -
Just FYI. Pretty normal. Here's what I found.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2006 1:47 AM PDT

I tossed a MPEG file from my HP 812 camera to some other PC. Explorer promptly crashed when we went to that directory.

It appears that Explorer has issues in decoding content.

While it can be debated why Explorer does this and whether it's a bug or not, the fix for that one was to install HP's CODEC.

If we extend this example to other images and files we see Explorer's wheels falling off on many other media files.

Your choice what to do here but I see no fix in the pipe over this one. You can find the file that crashes Explorer and figure out how to fix it or look at other file browsers that don't crash.

Collapse -
Thanks guys
by Gatorhater / August 31, 2006 9:14 AM PDT

Ok thanks alot for your help guys Ill try and find out what file is causing the crash which would make sense.
Once again thanks for the help!!

Collapse -
by Roy Weston / September 1, 2006 12:31 AM PDT

Whenever this happens, it means that access has been blocked. Try again. But before accessing, press down on the Control (Ctrl) key and you should have no problem. As a matter of fact, if you have any doubts about accessing, press on the key. If it's not necessary, it won't matter anyway. But if it is, it will save you the trouble of re-accessing.

Roy Weston
Vancouver, B.C.

Collapse -
What I finally learned...
by Brain_fog / September 1, 2006 2:44 AM PDT

I had the same problem, and being annoyed (to say the least), I sent error reports to microsoft everytime it happened. Of course they had no idea, and suggested I re-download my anti-virus, (eset). That did nothing, and I kept sending reports driving microsoft crazy... Hehe!! Then something really bad happened, and I crashed my whole computer (not related to this problem - A printer... Another problem another story at another time (Ha!). But with every bad, there are sometimes good. I was not crazy with the manufacturing configurations that were put into my computer, and decide to start anew, (good way to get rid of a lot of junk that was transferred from my old computer. You can put a lot of crap on and hang on to it for no good reason, except, ''just in case''). I digress... Putting in a ''fresh'' Explorer in did the trick. Afterwards I was talking to a computer tech buddy of mine, (sure always after the fact, LOL), and apparently with your ISP doing upgrades, or whatever kinds of silly things they might do on the service on their end can give little wacks on your Explorer, which eventually build up enough to mess up Explorers configurations. So if I may suggest, give a call to your ISP tech, and get them to talk you through ''cleaning up'', your service device - this can be done on the phone with no problem or CHARGES. If not take you Explorer completely out of your computer, (just remember to write down all the URL'S you want to keep from your favourites, and you address book, and any files you might have been holding onto in your e-mail box copy them to a temp. file on your hard drive - better safe than sorry. I know it sounds like a lot of trouble but it is better than beating your head on your keyboard, trying to get an open URL closed and possibly having to reboot just to go back to the same problem.
Sure hope this can help you... Best of luck.

Collapse -
Windows explorer NOT internet explorer!
by djurb / September 1, 2006 7:26 AM PDT

Windows explorer is crashing on her, NOT internet explorer.

Collapse -
Windows Explorer Crash at startup
by ghp / September 1, 2006 8:35 AM PDT

Strangely I had this problem at startup earlier tonight.

Restarting the computer has apparently resolved the problem.

Since I had changed nothing, since the previous shut down when all was well, perhaps program updates do have an affect Windows Explorer.

If it happens again I'll raise the issue once more.

Collapse -
Same problem
by JonMikelV / September 4, 2006 3:02 AM PDT

I had a similar problem where my Windows Explorer would crash after about 5 minutes of use. It didn't seem to matter what drive, folder, or file types I was browsing.

I could even be playing a game w/Windows Explorer open in the background and it would crash.

HOWEVER - it didn't seem to happen in safe mode (since I never figured out how to trigger it I was unable to 'prove' that it stopped in safe mode).

Anyway, I suspect it was related to some video codec but even after uninstalling pretty much everything it still did it. Even a repair install back to SP1 and re-installing SP2 etc. didn't fix it.

I ended up doing a fresh install on another partition. I still have the 'bad' one around for testing, but I suspect I'll never get it fixed.

So, um, on to you :-)...have you tried running in safe mode and seeing if it still happens?

Collapse -
my problem as well
by devildog429 / March 31, 2008 2:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem

i have vista but im having the same problem. im trolling the web for help. hp customer support are a bunch of tards. i've spoken with 5 of em now and they all tell me something different that has nothing to do with the problem. i've tryed everything. complete system restore works but the problem still comes back eventually. virus scans with norton show nothing. sfc works but i cant interperet the logs. safe mode works fine. creating another admin account works for a few days but than the problem rears again. checked the shells extensions but that didnt show anything... i think i've tried everything. now im going to take the other guys suggestion and download a different file browser.... anyone have ANY ideas?

Collapse -
2 things you can try to fix explorer crashes on media files
by JAGWAPATT / July 22, 2008 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: my problem as well

bit late to the party - however. I was having the same problem with mpegs. Certain mpegs would crash explorer. To start with all I needed to do was open the folder that contained the files and windows explorer would crash.
You can get it to stop crashing as soon as you open the folder by turning off thumbnail cacheing.
To do this
Open windows explorer on a freindly non-crashing folder and go to tools> folder options >view >check Do not cache thumbnails - [Apply to All Folders]

however I was left with another lesser problem. Everytime I clicked on the file windows explorer would crash. I was not playing the file or anything just highlighting it with windows explorer. What solved this problem for me was unregistering media preview.

to do this
Open the ?Run? dialog box from the start menu (Start->Run or press the Windows and r keys together):

To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
To readd media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

a bit of waffle

This method is more of a work around than a solution.
I knew it wasn't a virus as the computer hadn't been connected to the internet. My understanding is that when you click on a media file with explorer it tries to create a preview. If explorer can't create a preview for what ever reason it crashes ( instead of say moving on ). By unregistering this capability you prevent it from even trying and therefore prevent it from crashing. However unregistering media preview limits the amount of information exporer can give you about a media file - ie length, dimension, bit rate etc. This has no effect on windows media player capabilities (or lack of them) and explorer can still display overall file size. It is also a reversalble process.

PS a similar process works with image files
To remove image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll
To readd image preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

nb all original spelling mistakes are the copyright and intellectual property of yourpotential-ourcrashing YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Collapse -
try this one it works
by janriel / March 28, 2012 5:37 PM PDT

Try this one it works, go to start>computer>sysytem properties>advance system settings> and in the advance tab click settings from performance and in the visual effects tab uncheck "show thumbnails instead of icons". I think the problem occurs when it tries to show the "thumbnails" especially some of the video formats, it fails to view the picture preview in that video. unfortunately this settings apllied to all files like images,mp3's etc.but I guarantee you, your problem will be solved.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.