Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WIN98se memory manager

by Loujs / February 14, 2004 4:37 PM PST

I've been looking for a (free) memory manager for my win98se PC. Those I've tried have either bogged down my system (like MemTrax did)or out and out hung it on boot up (like Cacheman550 done). A program holding onto memory after you close it can also account for shutdown problems with win98 as well as freezing up due to low resources. Any ideas?? Thanks...

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN98se memory manager
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN98se memory manager
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The best idea: stop looking and do without one.
by Kees Bakker / February 14, 2004 8:50 PM PST
In reply to: WIN98se memory manager

If RAM is short, a memory stick is cheaper and much more effective.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / February 14, 2004 8:57 PM PST

The following is an excerpt from a message posted by Greg Wolking (previously of the PCMag forum) which I think you'll find interesting and factual IMHO:

Windows keeps as much stuff loaded in memory as possible, at least in part so that it doesn't have to keep wasting time reloading code modules, data, etc. from disk. Therefore, it is quite common to see very little "unused physical memory" until you have serious amounts of physical RAM installed in the machine. By "serious", I mean 128MB or more on a Win 98 system.

Windows will re-adjust its internal allocations when a running application needs memory. This includes discarding recently-loaded code modules (DLLs) that are no longer actually in use, shrinking the disk cache, discarding cached icons for the Start Menu/Desktop, etc.

There are also settings that you can "twiddle" to force Windows to discard unused code modules immediately, instead of keeping them loaded until the memory they occupy is required for something else. This is part of what some "memory recovery" utilities do -- they force Windows to discard unused modules, even though Windows will do that automatically when necessary. Thus, the benefit of using such a mechanism is rather illusory since it is forcing something to happen NOW which Windows would eventually do on its own anyway. Besides, memory manager programs running in the background are going to demand their share of resources too.

More accurately, all running programs use resources, some more than others. It's just that the ones that run "in the background" are the ones that so often "bite" us. Wink

Collapse -
Add a WIN98se memory manager and you have less memory.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2004 10:29 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:WIN98se memory manager
by JenDScot / February 15, 2004 5:20 AM PST

Windows memory manager works just fine. Have you customized your swap file settings, to optimize how your system utilizes resources, as well as shutdown programs you do not use all the time, and not have windows start them up from boot? It is best to have 5 or less systray icons regardless of how much memory you have, I currently multiboot 3 operating systems, 98SE, W2K Pro with SP3, and XP PRO with SP1, with no issues and I use a 3rd party boot loader (Partition/ Boot Magic 8). I have no issues with any of the three systems, and Boot magic has as my hidden partition a non system partition (I have 2, 60 GB hard drives with 4 partitions, 98 on C, W2K Pro on D, XP PRO on E, with F hidden and a non system partition). The windows memory managers work well if you set your system up well for them.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.