Windows Legacy OS

Question

Win98 install defaults to wrong drive letter for CD

by danofdecatur / October 18, 2013 11:30 AM PDT

Trying to resurrect an old Toshiba laptop. Not enough memory for XP. Label shows it originally had Win98. I have wiped and partitioned the hard drive but when I go to format it want's me to install the CD in drive D. Problem is the computer has assigned the CD as Drive A. Any way to force the program to look at the correct drive?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win98 install defaults to wrong drive letter for CD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win98 install defaults to wrong drive letter for CD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
And you tried to change it per the MSFT link?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2013 1:44 AM PDT
Collapse -
Win98 install defaults to wrong drive letter for CD
by danofdecatur / October 19, 2013 7:58 AM PDT

When I boot from the CD it goes only so far and then tells me to insert the Windows 98 install disk in drive D: There are no other options to change a drive letter.

Collapse -
Then you'll have to use the old floppy boot method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2013 3:56 PM PDT

I can't duplicate all the arcana of 98 here, but time to go back to the old way of a floppy boot, dos CD drivers and such.

And there is the other old way to copy the Win98 folder to the dos formatted HDD then boot to dos, cd to win98 and type setup.

Keep in mind that I'm going to assume you are a seasoned dos user.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Just in case you forget the old method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2013 4:26 PM PDT
Collapse -
Flopy Drive worked
by danofdecatur / October 20, 2013 8:41 AM PDT

In fact I was a seasoned dos user but that was many years ago. I was able to find an old Win 98 startup Floppy and did format the hard drive. I was able to install Win 98. I am afraid the old beast gave up the ghost this afternoon. I was trying to resolve some missing dll files when the monitor quit working. Trying an external monitor yielded nothing as well. It is just not a reliable machine anymore. A preacher asked me try and get it going so they could type sermons on it at home but she does need it to work when called upon.
Thanks for your time.

Collapse -
Go to freecycle next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 20, 2013 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Flopy Drive worked

It's been 4 years since I used it but Pentium 4 and later PCs were spotted all the time there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.