Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Win7 will not display or save desktop theme...

by bwetzel / February 5, 2011 3:23 AM PST

Just recently, my desktop theme will not display correctly. The wallpaper is locked on 1 image instead of a slideshow. When I try to manually advance to the next image, nothing. I did try to save a solid background, which it let me do but when I tried to go back to my wallpaper, it would not let me display. Also, Windows will not let me create or even save my unsaved theme. I have used system restore to get a background image back but I am unable to change or save any settings in regards to desktop themes. My computer IQ is slightly newbish so any help is appreciated.
Specs:
Model- Asus CG 1330
Processor- AMD Phenom II X6 1045T
Graphics- ATI Radeon HD 5400 Series
RAM -8 GB
OS-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Thanks in adavance for any help you may have.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win7 will not display or save desktop theme...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win7 will not display or save desktop theme...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wild guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2011 5:03 AM PST
Collapse -
RE:Wild guess..
by bwetzel / February 5, 2011 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: Wild guess.

Thanks for the reply. Tried that and it says it can't identify the problem. My graphics rating on the Windows experience is 4.9. I have been able to use aero without problems and it does let me enable/disable it, change the sound settings but not the wallpaper. still stumped:(

Collapse -
Forgot to mention...
by bwetzel / February 5, 2011 7:11 AM PST
In reply to: RE:Wild guess..

Also, I just noticed that when I right click on an image to set it as a destop backgroung, Windows will not set it as a new background.

Collapse -
Next guess. "Corrupt Profile."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2011 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: Forgot to mention...

Try this. Create a new user and log in on that new account. Do things work there?

Collapse -
RE: Corrupt Profile
by bwetzel / February 5, 2011 11:37 AM PST

Well, I created a new profile and it works. Thank you. Question...I am the only one that uses the desktop (wife likes her laptop). How do I get my old account settings to this new account. Do I just delete my old account and rename the new one with the old account name. If so, would my settings transfer (new account did not show my network drive or printer)? Or do I need to start all over again. Thanks again for your help.

Bret

Collapse -
This is a problem which.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2011 11:41 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Corrupt Profile

Sorry if I write badly here. The issue of corrupt profiles are legendary. Not only that, Microsoft has never published a tool to repair them (that we know of.)

If you google "Windows 7 corrupt profiles" you find plenty of discussions but no cures short of abandoning the account that has problems.

DO NOT DELETE ACCOUNTS! Doing so finds folk that forgot to backup or copy files over to the new account or WORSE!!! (what's worse? think no backups ever.)

Sorry but you've been stung by a long standing Windows annoyance.
Bob

Collapse -
RE:This is a problem which.
by bwetzel / February 5, 2011 10:43 PM PST
Collapse -
I bet you were surprised.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2011 11:49 PM PST

The title is "fix a corrupted profile" but the article never fixes the corrupted profile! It abandons the account!
Bob

Collapse -
I believe I have an answer
by jlitzza / March 19, 2011 5:10 AM PDT

OK!! FIXED but Windows code is still the root cause!! This equivalent problem has bugged me for MONTHS! I have four Windows 7 machines of very similar architecture. Two have this problem and one began emulating this yesterday.

RECAP: Every time windows opens there is an Unsaved Theme. No existing saved themes seem to be used thou they are functional and saved in the user directory. The usaved theme is similar to my saved theme but intermmitently it loses the slide show. Displaying only the last picture used. BUT, it always loses the presentation, setting it to Stretched as opposed to Fit.

This fix DOES NOT involve any Upgrade (clearly that is only a patch and the problem can return).

After setting everything how I wanted it and saving that theme. Through REGEDIT I looked at the Control Panel/Desktop in CURRENT USER and noted all of the settings. I then went to HKEY USERS and set ALL of the sub functions that contained similar Desktop data to the same settings. Two were NOT equivalent!.

Problem eliminated! Only Save themes are used after reboot and so far it appears stable.

Caveat: There are only Two Users on my machine, both are me. The newer one was created to investigate whether a new profile, identically structured, contained the issue, which it did not.

I repeated this on all machines and it appears to have fixed the problem. I don't think the source creator is fixed as this is clearly a coded Windows issue, but the problem is fixed without reinstallation or new profile creation, and it is repeatable.

Collapse -
Solved, Oh Yeah!
by Trickstyler / May 8, 2012 7:35 AM PDT

I'm using an asus g73jh laptop which i'm positive
some of you are using too...

follow these steps and the nightmare is over:

Click Start and type Power Options in the Search box and then click Power Options from the list
In the Select a power plan window, click Change plan settings next to your currently selected Power plan
Click Change advanced power settings and then click to expand the Desktop background settings option
Click to expand Slide show and make sure that the Plugged in: option is set to Available
Click OK and then close the Edit plan window
Restart and....Presto. Grin

Collapse -
The default Image Could be Corrupt
by javajoemorgan / October 16, 2012 1:25 AM PDT

I experienced this problem and followed all advice here and elsewhere to no avail. One suggestion (by jlitzza) led me to go look at Registry entries and the Wallpaper entry pointed to a JPG file. Since my machine was showing nothing but a black background, I thought I'd take a look at that file to see if there was a relationship.

When I tried to open the file, it said the image was corrupt. So, I simply to a JPG photo I had on my machine and replaced the corrupt image with the good photo, and all started working immediately.

The image was located at:

C:\Users\{userName}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Themes

And the image name was "TranscodedWallpaper.jpg". This is the file that was corrupt.

I'm using a multi-image desktop theme.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

Collapse -
SUCCESS!
by brit1sh / November 26, 2012 11:49 PM PST

Thanks javajoemorgan! This has been bugging me for a long time...and now it's fixed! Grin

Collapse -
Fix slideshow
by Doctorrico / April 15, 2013 11:57 PM PDT

Follow javajoemorgan's path, but then not the TranscodedWallpaper.jpg is the culprit, but the slideshow.ini (be sure to show hidden files) . Rename the "slideshow.ini" to "slideshow.ini.bak". Leave the folder open, change your theme to another one, change it back to the theme you want, you will now see that a new "slideshow.ini" has been created and your problems should be over. Good luck.

Collapse -
SUCCESS!
by Spartan 1127 / February 10, 2014 6:05 PM PST
In reply to: Fix slideshow

I had the same issue, couldn't save themes, couldn't even change the wallpaper at the end. Doctorrico's approach solved my problem immediately!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.