Computer Help forum

Question

WIN7 SYSTEM RESTORE WILL NOT WORK

by AZKID44 / June 17, 2011 3:55 PM PDT

I HAVE TOSHIBA LAPTOP (A LITTLE OVER A YEAR OLD) RUNNING WIN7 HOME PREMIUM 4GB RAM INTEL I-3 CPU 500GB HDD. TRYING TO EXECUTE A SYSTEM RESTORE DOES NOT WORK.
IT SEEMS TO BE RESTORING FINE UNTIL I REBOOT AND THEN I ALWAYS RECEIVE THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE UPON REBOOT:

SYSTEM RESTORE DID NOT COMPLETE SUCCESSFULLY. YOUR COMPUTER'S SYSTEM FILES AND SETTINGS WERE NOT CHANGED.

DETAILS:

SYSTEM RESTORE FAILED WHILE RESTORING THE REGISTRY FROM THE RESTORE POINT. THE RESTORE POINT WAS DAMAGED OR WAS DELETED DURING THE RESTORE [WAS NOT] YOU CAN TRY SYSTEM RESTORE AGAIN AND CHOOSE A DIFFERENT RESTORE POINT [THAT DOES NOT WORK]. IF YOU CONTINUE TO SEE THIS ERROR, YOU CAN TRY AN ADVANCED RECOVERY METHOD. FOR MORE INFORMATION , SEE [HYPERLINK] WHAT IS RECOVERY?
NOTE: BOLD TEXT INSERTED BY ME!

THE FOLLOWING ARE THE PROCEDURES WHICH I'VE TRIED BUT DID NOT WORK!

> EXECUTED SYSTEM RESTORE IN SAFE MODE.

>TRIED TO RESTORE FROM A SYSTEM CREATED RESTORE POINT.

> TRIED TO RESTORE FROM A MANUALLY CREATED RESTORE POINT.

> DELETED ALL RESTORE POINTS AND TRIED TO RESTORE FROM THE NEXT SYSTEM CREATED RESTORE POINT.

> RAN CCLEANER REGISTRY CLEANER TO CLEAN REGISTRY FILES. DID NOT HELP.

RELOADING WIN7 IS NOT A VIABLE OPTION SINCE MY LAPTOP DID NOT COME WITH A WIN7 INSTALLATION DISK (PRETTY COMMON TODAY)

I DO HAVE 9 CLONED GENERATIONS OF MY HDD, BUT MY GUESS IS THAT DOING THE REINSTALL OF THE CLONED IMAGE WILL NOT SOLVE MY PROBLEM ... BECAUSE OF A SYSTEM/REGISTRY ISSUE .... BUT WHAT DO I KNOW?

I DID USE THE SYSTEM RESTORE FUNCTION ONLY ONCE BEFORE WHEN I FIRST PURCHASED MY LAPTOP AND IT DID EXECUTE PROPERLY.

ANY THOUGHTS OR SUGGESTIONS WELCOMED.

THANKS,

RICHARD

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WIN7 SYSTEM RESTORE WILL NOT WORK
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WIN7 SYSTEM RESTORE WILL NOT WORK
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Look into...
by Willy / June 19, 2011 3:07 AM PDT

If I gather this right...

Collapse -
Ordering restore discs
by Willy / June 19, 2011 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

Toshiba support:

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Or it's Norton.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 2:15 AM PDT

Norton is known to create such an error but I can't tell if that or some other security suite is installed.

Why all capital letters? Hard to read so I may have missed a clue.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi Bob
by AZKID44 / June 18, 2011 3:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Or it's Norton.

Sorry about the caps but my eyesight ain't that great! I am not running Norton at all! I run AVAST free edition for over a year now without any problems.

Richard

Collapse -
Let's go about this at another direction.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Bob

Knowing that security and other software can interfere with system restore you can research that. I can't guess at what else you use.

But there is a long time issue with system restore. Once in awhile I find it breaks and sometimes turning it off then back on will let it wipe out all the old points and create a new point to work from that day forward.

It's been a decade and I've yet to see Microsoft (or anyone) offer a restore point repair tool.

As to another direction, can you tell the forum why you needed to use system restore? Maybe there's another fix.
Bob

Collapse -
Hi again Bob
by AZKID44 / June 18, 2011 9:10 AM PDT
Knowing that security and other software can interfere with system restore you can research that.

Thanks Bob, I will do further research on that. To be honest. I do not currently have a specific need for SR right now . Its more of me knowing that I have the SR option should something get corrupted by a virus, malware, windows update etc. I only had a need for it once when my AV software reported a false positive and SR was the fastest and most reliable way to get up and running until the AV patch was released.

To me SR is like having your current files backed-up or your HDD cloned. Hopefully, you won't need it but its reassuring to know its available if needed.

When I initially posted, I was hoping there was an easy fix .... either to the registry or a configuration file setting. But no such luck eh?

Bob, I sincerely thank you for your help and advice.

If I do happen to stumble across a fix I will be sure to post back here so others may also benefit from the solution.

Richard
Collapse -
There is an easy fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 9:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi again Bob

For most systems, when system restore fails, turning it off and back on lets it start over.

It seems to me that Microsoft could have made some OS repair tools for us but has opted to tell us to backup and reinstall over any "click here to fix Windows" tools.
Bob

Collapse -
There is an easy fix ?
by AZKID44 / June 18, 2011 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: There is an easy fix.

Hi Bob,

I will give that a try. Do you recommend after turning off SR I do a full AV and MBAM scan before I turn SR back on?

Thanks,

Richard

Collapse -
Before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: There is an easy fix ?

Already wrote why...
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.