Windows 7 forum

Question

Win7 or Win XP?

by dess71 / November 28, 2012 7:33 PM PST

I am reluctant on buying new laptop as I think that I could not run some of the software I used to enjoy in XP. My current laptop is almost dying and it is time to change. What do you advice me. Of course I have no option if I am buying new laptops because all of them now have WIN 7 or 8. but I can buy second hand if I want XP say from ebay or...

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win7 or Win XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win7 or Win XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: laptop
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 7:50 PM PST
In reply to: Win7 or Win XP?

I don't think you can get a new laptop with Windows XP now. And most second-hand laptops still run it are old enough to have such a short life-expectancy that their value (and their price) is near zero.

Most software that runs in XP runs in Windows 7 also. So I would start running Microsofts Upgrade advisor and see what it thinks about your software. The parts about hardware and drivers aren't relevant, of course. Just look at what it says about the compatibility of your applications. Most likely, you'll find everything is OK.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor is where to start.

After that, you might like to do the same for Windows 8, just to be fully informed. That's http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-assistant

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
What Kees said.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 28, 2012 9:54 PM PST

I have one lone app that only runs on XP. Just one and even that one can run in either Virtual Box, XP Mode or on a laptop from the office. So 7 is fine for 99.9999% of folk.

I'd get a Windows 7 new laptop since any used XP laptop is likely so old that it won't be that good a deal or experience.
Bob

Collapse -
Go with Windows 7 Pro and XP Mode
by wpgwpg / November 30, 2012 12:15 AM PST
In reply to: What Kees said.

I'd buy a PC with Windows 7 while you still can. If you get the Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can get the free XP Mode which runs as a started task under Windows 7. You can't have XP Mode with Windows 8 by the way. If you buy one with the Home Premium version of Windows 7, you can either use the any time upgrade to the Pro version or install virtualization and your own copy of XP.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Windows Ultimate
by Tom_SF / November 30, 2012 12:05 AM PST

If you get Windows 7 Ultimate, you can download "XP Mode" from Microsoft and run XP programs with it.

Collapse -
Answer
7\Windows
by Boobteg / November 30, 2012 6:13 AM PST

Well if you want to join us in the 21st century i suggest windows 7. Its tried and trued, cannot say the same about windows 8 though. Don't like it. Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) how about windows8
by mariacateria / December 2, 2012 2:56 PM PST
Collapse -
Answer
You Have Choices
by mystical pippin / December 3, 2012 3:49 PM PST

Hi Dess

I completely understand how you feel - Microsoft broke the mold with XP Pro. 4 years ago I was dragged over to Windows 7 kicking and screaming! It took me a long time to get use to it and it wasn't until I got the Ultimate edition that my anger subsided. There is a vast difference between Win 7 Home and the Pro & Ultimate editions. However, I still say XP Pro was and is the best OS Microsoft has ever made - but such is life we must all move on... The good news is that Win 7 (and no doubt Win Cool have the same issues all of its predecessors had!!

If you're going to "upgrade" (oh the irony of that word) to a new OS I think Windows 7 over 8 would be a better choice for you. Mainly because Win 8 is still so new and we don't really know yet what compatibility issues it has or glitches within the OS. The interface is just like the apps you see on a smart phone but it also has a toggle switch that's supposed to allow you to switch over to a "classic" OS mode like Win 7.

If you decide that you still want to stick with XP there are several options.

1. You could search far and wide for a new pc with XP installed - they are out there but they're extremely rare. I suggest searching sites like NewEgg or NextTag, Amazon or eBay. I think that you will probably only find refurbished pc's with XP installed and if you buy from sites like Amazon or eBay make sure there's a return policy just in case you don't like the machine or if something's wrong with it.

2. Another option would be to have a pc built to your specs and have the builder install XP. Or buy a new pc with Win 7 and have it wiped and then reinstall XP. Some people will tell you it can't be done or its not allowed but thats not true it can - it just takes someone who has the knowledge and the drivers or knows where to get them.

3. The last suggestion I have is to buy a pc with Win 7 Pro, Ultimate or Enterprise editions. These versions allow you to download and install an XP mode (its free) that works like a virtual OS of XP or you can use it as a way to open programs within Windows 7 like you would any other program.

There are a few things you must have or make sure that you have. Make sure the new pc's cpu is capable of hardware assisted virtualization and that its turned on. You will have to go into the BIO's to check this so make sure you know what you're doing.
here are some links you might find useful.

testing your machine for virtualization capabilities:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/configure-bios.aspx

BIO's support
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/BIOS-frequently-asked-questions

an article about installing XP
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/375451/reliving-the-hell-of-a-windows-xp-installation
Good luck whatever you decide.

Collapse -
I do so love
by Jimmy Greystone / December 3, 2012 11:05 PM PST
In reply to: You Have Choices

I do so love people who talk about how great XP was, considering I remember rather vividly how people complained about it the first couple of years it was on the market. It was slow, bloated, used too much memory, my programs don't work, what are permissions, what are user accounts, what's with these ugly window decorations, there are no drivers for my hardware... Basically take the list of things people used to complain about Vista, and if you look back at the early days of XP, you'll see history repeating itself. Essentially people only are looking at the surface, and not at the deeper reasons. XP was Microsoft's convergence OS, where they moved both business and consumer users onto the same platform. Vista had a large number of under the hood improvements that made it much more efficient on modern hardware, and included a near total rewrite of the Windows UI in the form of Aero to make use of the DirectX API to allow for full 3D hardware acceleration in the Windows UI, as opposed to an antiquated 2D GDI+ system used in XP. Windows 8 is Microsoft trying to again bring platforms together. This time, namely it's Windows Phone and desktop Windows platforms, providing some degree of consistency across all platforms. While I'll be among the first to admit the Modern UI doesn't make a lot of sense on a desktop, as-is anyway, it provides a sort of gentle introduction to the Modern UI, and the hopes are that this will drive sales of smartphones and tablets running Windows. I don't think Microsoft will be unseating Apple or Google in the phone/tablet space any time soon, but that doesn't mean they can't be a profitable third place player in the market.

My bet is that by this time in 2014, everyone will have had time to adapt to the new Modern UI, and no one will think anything of it. In fact, you'll probably see people complaining about the LACK of the Modern UI when they have to work on a legacy Vista or Win 7 machine.

Aside from the missing start button and the addition of the Modern UI, Windows 7 and 8 are nearly identical from the user's perspective. WIndows 8 has a bit more hardware acceleration of the UI, and a number of under the hood improvements, but nothing too significant this time around. People are making way too big a deal out of this, and it's largely out of a simple fear of the unknown. Time marches ever onward, so you can either keep up or get left behind. Ask companies that spent ruinous amounts of money on Y2K fixes about the virtues of getting left behind.

Collapse -
Most businesses are still on XP
by wpgwpg / December 3, 2012 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: I do so love

By 2014 a new version of Windows will be out and I'm betting it will have an option to bring back the Start button. And as for most folks converting by then, most businesses are still running XP which is over 10 years old now. If you've never trained a bunch of people to use Windows, you can't imagine what a hassle it is. It's time consuming, creates costly errors while people learn, and is very expensive. Remember the saying "Make new friends but keep the old, the new are silver the old are gold". The start button and task bar are the old gold. Computers are productivity tools, not something to make folks have to reinvent the wheel.

Collapse -
I don't see that here but did overseas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2012 11:49 PM PST

Globally that may be true but here it's a solid win for 7. Over in China, there's another reason why XP abounds.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks and Thumbs Up!
by mystical pippin / December 4, 2012 5:03 PM PST
In reply to: I do so love

Thanks Jimmy,
for being nice about my rant. I usually hear people say things like "get over it". Back when Win 7 first came out I used it a couple of times on a friend's machine and then at school there were a few in the library for use that I sat on for few hours cause I kept hearing how great it was. But I was not impressed. It appeared that it was all about the visual and not the functional and once again they changed their terminology on quite a few things which seems to happen everytime Microsoft comes out with a new OS. Although I never used Vista so I can't speak for that one.

So I was confused and unimpressed by the visual stuff - seemed like a waste of ram to me. At the time I was shopping for a new pc so thats why I tried using Win 7 to see if I wanted to use it. Every single new computer for sale had Win 7 preloaded so once I decided I didn't really like it I knew I would want to keep using XP. My old pc didn't come with a disc so I bought a new version of XP Pro online as well as a new pc that came preloaded with Win 7. Then had it wiped by someone and installed the XP Pro. I loved that machine for the whole year it worked - Quad core, 8 gigs of ram, it was so fast and I could have my two ram intensive programs open (Illustrator & Photoshop) plus surf the net with no problems - which I did quite often because of school and my work. then 1 month after the warranty ran out it died.... Couldn't have happened at a worse time too because it was the end of the semester and all my final projects were due in 2 weeks, and I was broke. Ironically I had purchased my first laptop about 7 months before that as a "backup" pc which had Win 7 preloaded. I had turned it on when I first got it and started customizing it with my preferences but got frustrated every time so I actually had not turned it on for about 5 months.

So there I was....needing to get my assignments finished, plus I was working on a poster for an annual charity event which I stupidly volunteered to do months before not realizing how much homework I would have PLUS my day job which was really a day and night job as I was a live in Nanny to 2 small children and the parents were out of town. So I loaded my art programs into the laptop, had to teach myself to get used to Win 7 as best I could, do the homework, the poster and take care of the kids....ha ha busy much?
Thats what I meant by kicking and screaming....

Now that I'm used to Win 7 I don't mind it as much. IMO there are extra keystrokes required of almost everything compared to the older OS's. But my biggest problem with it is the fact that Microsoft has never addressed half of the issues that Vista, XP or even Win 2000 had so they were carried over to Win 7 (and probably Win 8 as well) and because of that there are many event errors and issues that need constant fixing. Installers get corrupted causing all kinds of problems with updates on every application, there's a reoccurring kernel event problem and it stops running - it doesn't matter how many times you reset it or do a dump it just keeps happening, there's issues with certificates becoming outdated and cannot be renewed. There are multiple critical error events to which MS support just keeps saying to ignore.... and I'm one of the lucky few that has a conflict between the Motherboard and the ENE CIR receiver to which there is absolutely NO FIX at all for it!!

I turned off the aero stuff a long time ago to be able to use the ram for my programs but I still can't have 2 open at the same time - (but thats not a Win 7 issue) the laptop only has 4 gigs and core2 duo so its much slower and yeah I'm still using it but in the next few months I hope to be buying a tower with a nice big monitor as I need one to do my work on. I don't think I will be buying Win 8 though because it took me a long time to get used to Win 7 and I'm just not in the mood...I would consider pulling out the old XP disc but then I realized I would probably spend the next 3 months after installing it just doing updates....lol

Collapse -
Answer
Why window 7 is better today
by aahnagupta85 / December 4, 2012 7:25 PM PST

These are the reasons why you have to go with windows7:
1)Support from Microsoft:
On April 14, 2009, Microsoft ended mainstream support for Windows XP.

2)More applications:
All the programs are now being written for the Vista/Windows 7 platform.

3)64-bit computing.

4) And last but not the least Windows XP Mode. Through Windows XP Mode, you can use XP and still get the benefits of Windows 7.

Collapse -
Answer
The biggest problem with older software
by orlbuckeye / December 4, 2012 8:41 PM PST

has more to do with 32 bit versus 64 bit more then XP versus Win 7. I've tested 16 bit Foxpro 2.6 for Wndows in a 64 bit environment it won't run but will in a 32 bit environment. Now Visual Foxpro 9.0 does run in a 32 or 64 environment.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.