Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Win7 on HP Pavillion dv7 laptop - wireless connection issues

by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 4:40 AM PDT

Hello

We purchased an HP Pavillion DV7 laptop for my wife. Nice big screen, numeric keypad, Blu-Ray drive, not too shabby.

Well, it worked just fine on our open WiFi network until recently when it just up and decided to stop connecting. The wired netowrk works, and the WiFi connection can SEE the wireless network in our house, but it refuses to connect.

The WiFi network is provided by our AT&T Uverse (2wire) router. My Mac Pro and MacBook Pro can see the network and log in without any issues.

Things I have tried:

- Resetting the router to factory defaults and then turning off WEP (it's an open netowrk, no passwords or encryption).

- Deleting the wireless profile for this network from the "Manage Wireless Networks" panel in Win7 and re-connecting.

- Turning off and back on the wireless antenna on the HP Laptop

- Using the Windows connection troubleshooter (completely useless)

I'm used to using a Mac. This stuff should just work. Please help if you can, I'm totally lost here.

Thanks,

---------S

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win7 on HP Pavillion dv7 laptop - wireless connection issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win7 on HP Pavillion dv7 laptop - wireless connection issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WEP or no security is a problem. BUT LUCKY YOU.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 5:17 AM PDT

I just had Uverse installed and the tech knew that there is a security/windows7/UVERSE modem router issue.

Let me check what we use.

1. WPA/WPA2 PSK for security.

2. Go to the uverse modem/router setup page under LAN, Wireless (mine is:
http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1 and set "Wi-Fi Protected Setup" to DISABLED.

My wife has the HP DV7 and Windows 7. It works fine now.
Bob

Collapse -
Didn't work.
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 7:36 AM PDT

I did what you suggested, restarted the PC, and it still does not work.

It's connected to the network, but it says "no internet access".

Sad

Collapse -
Does it get to the Uverse router page?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Didn't work.

Sorry but you didn't say.

As to WEP and no security I will no longer discuss issues with that security as what you wrote happens with regularity. I think folk just need to bump their head on that more often to learn why.
Bob

Collapse -
??
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 8:51 AM PDT

I'm sorry, I did not understand your last comment.

Collapse -
I am able to get the the Uverse router page just fine.
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

I can get the the Uverse router page using my Mac. I can make changes and everything without problems.

The Windows 7 laptop cannot get there.

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: ??

I've lost so much time over the security settings that I no longer participate when WEP is used.

It is that bad!

Collapse -
Ugh.
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I see.

Yeah, I just leave the network open. It's easier.

I run Macs, so there's no real danger of infection or attack and my Wife is online maybe 2 hours each day. Wireless security is more trouble than it is worth.

But it looks like Windows is making up for it by attacking us with its own problems. This connection issue has me ready to throw her new laptop in front of a bus. god I hate Windows.

Collapse -
Even then I can't participate. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 22, 2010 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Ugh.

With WEP or no security, common, easy to find, KID FRIENDLY software can create the issues above.

I have the new Uverse modem/voice box and a 17 inch dv7 laptop with Windows 7 and it's working fine here. I shared my settings and had hoped that the sheer luck of what looked to be an almost perfect match would help.

Then again you could have NORTON on that HP?
Bob

Collapse -
Nope
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 10:31 AM PDT

No Norton

No antivirus at all. We may install NOD32. She surfs with Firefox and uses Excel. That's about it.

-------S

Collapse -
Fixed it...
by spdorsey / October 22, 2010 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Nope

I fixed it.

I bought an Apple Airport base station and it works fine with the HP laptop.

Leave it up to Apple to fix a problem with Windows.

God, windows really sucks.

--------S

Collapse -
Wish the ATT tech was as good as mine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 23, 2010 2:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed it...

The one they sent out went, OH, let me change this.

Worked the first try. Go figure what was amiss with your setup.
Bob

Collapse -
Need to wireless adaptor
by 4brillopad / October 24, 2010 1:05 AM PDT

I called AT&T, which was an adventure, but finally learned that my new Windows 7 HP needed a Netopia wireless adapter to replace the 2 Wire one. They sent it to me free of charge; I plugged it in and it works just fine. I am still wrestling with getting the printer to work on the network, however I think that is a separate issue.

Collapse -
Really weird.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 24, 2010 1:45 AM PDT

I have the 2Wire here and the tech made one change and the HP dv7 connected right up.

It's a shame they don't share such tips among the techs.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.