Windows 7 forum

Question

Win7 Media Center stopped working for playing DVD videos

by jrfoleyjr / February 12, 2013 7:21 AM PST

My Win7 desktop with 19 inch flat screen monitor used to play dvds fine but lately it will not open the dvds, nothing no response.

[1] The DVD drive is Ok, I tested it in another computer.
[2] The dvd disc is ok, played fine in that drive in other computer.
[3] Music cds play ok in Media Center using the dvd drive.
[4] I installed VLC player to see if I could play the dvd. DOES NOT WORK with VLC player either.

Obviously something has gotten hosed in my Win7 installation but I dont know what to look for. HELP!!!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win7 Media Center stopped working for playing DVD videos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win7 Media Center stopped working for playing DVD videos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The clue is VLC PLAYER.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 12, 2013 7:31 AM PST
Collapse -
Please Explain: How is VLC player the clue here?
by jrfoleyjr / February 13, 2013 8:23 AM PST

Did you skip immediately to step 4 in my question above??

If you read the progression of steps I took to try to trouble shoot this, VLC player was installed AFTER and did not work either... some clue huh? This is a trouble in Win7 someplace and I was inquiring as to what to look at in Win7, not a LINUX solution.

Collapse -
All the items added up but #4 clinched it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2013 8:39 AM PST

We need to test if there is some hardware issue in play. Did you complete the test?

It's just a test. It is to see if the hardware is still OK. Once in a while a member will not do such tests. Then we get to fall back to reinstall the OS and if that doesn't work, it's the hardware. The method I use is nearly free and we can get the test done in a few minutes.
Bob

Collapse -
Reading comprehension testing
by jrfoleyjr / February 13, 2013 1:49 PM PST

Don't you just hate it when a situation is described with steps taken already listed, then the question asked gets answered with a question that was already answered in the original text?

[1] The DVD drive was tested in another computer and played dvd movies in the drive in the other computer.

[2] I determined that since my question would only be answered with a question, I reinstalled Win7 and it works again.

Thanks... I think?!?!

Collapse -
I was trying to avoid reinstalling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2013 12:06 AM PST

But before we go done the road to try to fix the playback in the OS we test to be sure there is not a hardware issue. You tested the drive but what if there is something else in the PC amiss?

It appears you needed someone with a better or working crystal ball.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.