Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

win7 compatability wizard is crap!

by bj24471702 / March 6, 2010 8:47 PM PST

having been baught a new comp for xmas with win7 installed, i have read various writings on its performance, i agree with most on this that over xp it is good, but, when wanting my older programs on the system,it's a nightmare, the compatability program is completely useless here and i feel like returning to xp, or alternatively put xp as a second OS just to run my previous games and programs. but what is the point of improving an OS if you still can't get your previous programs to work properly or at all without going out there to try and find updates all the time! any other ideas out there???

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win7 compatability wizard is crap!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win7 compatability wizard is crap!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same thing happened fron Windows 98 to XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2010 12:26 AM PST

The bump I felt in the transition was actually less than from 98 to XP.

Have you lived though such a change before?

And I've seen such complaints even when an owner get a new machine with the same OS!

-> "without going out there to try and find updates"

This is what many want today. They want "it" to just work. The industry has yet to deliver.

Collapse -
(NT) Why not post this issue in the Win 7 forum ?
by VAPCMD / March 7, 2010 12:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Windows 7 incompatibilities
by GamerGirl7 / March 8, 2010 5:46 AM PST

I totally agree and have been saying the same thing since I received my new computer over a month ago! I was going to stick with an XP OS, but everyone kept telling me how good W7 was supposed to be and how updated. Woohoo.

When I first noticed how incompatible everything was, I thought it was so we would all go out to "re-buy" games and etc. made for Windows 7, and that it was another techie money making ruse.
Then I discovered that nothing else seems to be compatible or even made to BE compatible for it.

In the past it seemed that as soon as a new OS came out, companies for software et. al. all jumped to make new and improved compatibility standards and components.

When you look at games, programs, and components, they have all the other OS's listed from Windows 95 on down that they will work with.

I bought a new modem and Wins 7 isn't even on the list to install it from the disk menu, (but from 95 up to Vista is on the menu to choose from!). Other people have claimed a way to have "found" to get it to work, and it said it was "Windows 7 ready". Ugggh! I just want to put the installation disk in, pick Wins 7 from the menu, and have it install-like every other program in the last few years. So I know what you mean.
So like the previous poster stated, since it is a new OS (the old growing pain adage), it requires patience until the other manufacturers can catch up! (And a LOT of it!).

Collapse -
Not even Outlook 2007
by sauna6 / March 12, 2010 11:03 PM PST

right off the box, runs on W7! A big reason to upgrade to Office 2007 Professional from 2003 was the Business contact manager. But boo, it is "not compatible" with Windows 7 !!!

This feels like major fraud. Good business practice it is not - that I know. Would not go through in the EU.

Collapse -
I can't get the Compatibility Wizard to work either
by paoconnell / March 12, 2010 9:25 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Vista laptop. The Compatibility Wizard starts up OK, then hangs/spins after awhile. No report about what needs to be changed.

Collapse -
Windows XP Virtual Machine
by Doh_1 / March 12, 2010 10:07 AM PST

There are various ways that you can run a Windows XP virtual machine on your Windows 7 system. If you have a higher edition of Windows 7 you can use "Windows XP mode", which is a Windows XP virtual machine (VM for short). There's Virtual Box (I think) from Sun, there's VMware Workstation (that's the one that I use), there's instructions on the internet on how to make a Windows XP VM using the free VMware Player, and then run it on VMware Player.

Last (and least) there's one other approach that I would NOT recommend, which is to convert your Windows 7 system to a dual boot system where you can boot either Windows 7 or Windows XP. There's also instructions for doing that on the internet, but presumably you moved forward to Windows 7 for the various advances in security, graphics, etc. so why just go back to Windows XP that will lose support from MS in July?

Anyways, if you're sure that you have to run Windows XP to get compatibility, then there are ways to do it on a Windows 7 system.

Collapse -
RE: win7 compatability wizard is crap!
by hdmc52 / March 13, 2010 12:25 AM PST

I used Win 7 for about one and a half mos. The only thing I miss is the wallpaper changer!

Collapse -
same isue better idea
by brlarson / March 13, 2010 10:47 AM PST

I have had the same issues moving my dads computer from Vista (crap) to Win7 (half crap). It does not like to run programs nearly as well as my 6.5 yr old xp system. It networks poorly with XP and vista systems.

Last month my XP system (hardware) went bad so I had to get a new machine, I found out that I cannot get a new computer with xp, only that 7 crap. So I left the MS fold and went over to a mac book pro (os snow leopard). I found that I can get most games for it and that it runs a lot smoother than any MS system I have used. I was hard to go from a expert PC user to a newbie, but two hours later I was back to being a power user.

My advice dump windows and try a mac, once you do you will wonder why you waited. If you find you must have a win os you can duel boot to any windows os works better than on a PC.

Collapse -
Well, if you never switched...
by mwooge / March 13, 2010 2:13 PM PST

If we never switched OS versions due to compatability problems, we'd still be running DOS, with 640k of ram and 720k floppies.

I "switched" becasue my old computer died.

I'm having problems, too. Most will be fixed by me or by MS's service packs.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.