Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Win32 error code returned by print processor

by 33boston / February 13, 2006 12:16 AM PST

Hi, I have a Win2k AD server that is also the print server. I've had this problem where a user sends a print job(only from an XP machine) to a HPLJ 5850 printer on the print server. The user gets a Print job succesful message but nothing prints. I've noticed the error message I recieve on the print server is "Win32 error code returned by print processor: 5"

Source ID 6161

I can't find a resolution to this anywhere so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Win32 error code returned by print processor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Win32 error code returned by print processor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
just finished..
by 33boston / February 13, 2006 10:42 PM PST
In reply to: Have you ...

I just finished looking through the links and I didn't see anyone with that error code: 5

With a little more research I've found that error code: 5 is an Access denied message. This is been driving me crazy for a couple of weeks!!

Collapse -
The usual code 5 is a permissions problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2006 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: just finished..

Usually self inflicted as the IT staffer tries to tighten down security. Try to remember what was tightened up.

Collapse -
code 5
by 33boston / February 13, 2006 11:57 PM PST

Should I be checking permissions on the users PC, server side or the users Active Directory account? Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Interaction of...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2006 12:03 AM PST
In reply to: code 5

Since the user gets the code 5, that means they may not have permission to create the temp file on the server. When I see code 5, it's always digging into permissions.

Nothing in your post details what you must do or a step by step, but it does point to permissions.

Collapse -
by 33boston / February 14, 2006 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Interaction of...

Sorry I forgot to mention the users doesn't get any error messages..they are actually told the print job is succesful..the error messages I'm seeing are on the W2k print server..

Collapse -
Then you are on the servier checking groups, permissions...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2006 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry...

It's again something there is no step by step but comparing a working account to the one that fails.

Collapse -
by 33boston / February 14, 2006 2:33 AM PST

I've compared the diferrent users security and also I've added the group policy that the users belong to to the printer with full access and still same problem pops up..what I can't figure out is that this only happens to users printing from an XP pro SP2 machine to a HP Lj 5850 or 5650. If that XP user sends a job to a 5850 nothing prints but then sends the same job to a HPlj 9055 we have it prints fine. Also we have NT machines that are having no problems printing to all printers!!..
I'm at a complete loss..hopefully you can point me in the right direction

Collapse -
Wish I could nail it for you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2006 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: XP

But the clue isn't in your post. Also, the printer driver on the server could be a factor. HP has not always done right on this area.

On an user that fails, add them to power users both locally and on the AD... then retest.

Collapse -
I'll try it..
by 33boston / February 14, 2006 2:54 AM PST

Thanks...I'll give it shot..

Collapse -
In addition
by tomron / July 8, 2007 3:53 PM PDT
In reply to: I'll try it..
Collapse -
Example of entire error
by 33boston / February 15, 2006 5:33 AM PST

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Print
Here's the entire error message. The problem happened to me today logged in as an administrator account. I just don't get it!

Event Category: None
Event ID: 6161
Date: 2/15/2006
Time: 9:03:58 AM
User: xxxxxxxxx
Computer: DCPRINTSRV01
The document ASP Task Sheet(1).xls owned by xxxxx failed to print on printer HP DJ 5850 Sales 01. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 825892. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 1. Client machine: \\ Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5.

Collapse -
Event ID: 6161
by aniljohnson / July 8, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

Hi i got the same error message recently after installing an HP 2600n printer. The error occurs only from one client PC . Did anybody could find a fix to this problem

Collapse -
Event ID 6161
by aniljohnson / July 16, 2007 8:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Event ID: 6161

The problem is resolved by giving full access to that user to the print spooler folder . its working fine after that ..

Collapse -
The same problem .. id 6161 printing
by jlespinoza / July 14, 2008 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Event ID 6161

I have the same problem but I gave full access to the user and nothing changed ? ... anyone knows how to solve it ?

Collapse -
same problem
by cymrych01 / April 9, 2012 7:59 AM PDT

mine started after i changed inkcartridges. imagine that. one pc, one printer. thats what i hate. didnt do anything but change cartridges and now this. it printed alignment copy but then nothing else.

Collapse -
About 6 years later.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 10, 2012 9:42 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

I'd start a new post so others will notice it. Also, Windows 2000 is going to be hard to support today.

I know we shut down our last Windows 2000 PC about 5 years ago. I will help using what I learned in using it for 7 years plus NT before that but let's see a new post with all the missing detail.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.