Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

win xp won't boot after power failure

by slowride45 / June 14, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

While I was reading mail I had a power failure. I restarted the computer a while after the power was restored and while the system was booting...power failure...argh!
Now, when I turn on the system it doesn't boot up. I'm taken to an error screen that offers three different safe mode start up options etc. I tried all of the options (all five) and none of them successfully start windows.
Is there a way to get this system to boot without losing my data?
my system information is as follows:
self built,
P4 HT 3.2
Win XP SP2
1Gb RAM
ASUS MB
2X190 Gb Maxtor SATA

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win xp won't boot after power failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win xp won't boot after power failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What happens?
by John.Wilkinson / June 14, 2007 10:48 AM PDT

What happens when you select Safe Mode (without networking)? Does it spit out an error message, automatically reboot, or...?

If none of them work my next suggestion would be to repair Windows XP, a process that leaves your files, settings, and programs intact, though you may have to reinstall a few programs to work out various glitches that may occur. (Select programs will report your subscription has expired.)

It's entirely possible that it was more than just a loss of power, though. If you experienced a spike or surge it could potentially have damaged your computer, assuming no surge protector was used. Just something to keep in mind.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
I'm so lost
by slowride45 / June 14, 2007 12:57 PM PDT
In reply to: What happens?

Everytime I choose any selection, the xp screen displays...it thinks...and thinks...any then goes back to the error screen with "normal start up" and the timer ticks...The system will continue this cycle until I stop it.

I did try to use the cd, restore console, press r, and shortly after I am taken to a command line. I dont think anything is being retored.

I also tried to change the drive primaries and install windows on my second hard drive, but I am not given the option to select the drive.

Is my only option to get another hard drive and install windows on it?

Collapse -
Sounds serious. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 14, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

If you have the XP CD you might boot from it and try a repair install.

Collapse -
repair install failed
by slowride45 / June 14, 2007 12:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Sounds serious. . .

I tried a repair install and it did not work.

Collapse -
ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
by Mr.Brilliant / June 14, 2007 1:24 PM PDT
In reply to: repair install failed

what is the error? Does it restart? If so you may want to reinstall it completely. If it gives a blue screen, Then what does the blue scren say? if it gives the error driver_irql_not_less_or_equal, then yopur system is 100% going to fail again and as such toast.

Collapse -
blue screen states...
by slowride45 / June 14, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

I just tried to install windows xp home, on a new hard drive i picked up and I get the same blue screen as the other times i've tried to install...unknown disc
(there is no disc in this drive) this message is repeated four times in the box where you would normally pick the drive to install windows. I an totally lost now!

Collapse -
That's not a newbie PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2007 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: blue screen states...

Let me be a little blunt here. The machine is a fairly advanced system with SATA drives which means you can't toss your XP SP2 CD in there and do the repair install.

With most (if not all) SATA systems you need to boot the XP SP2 CD (yes, you should have the XP SP2 CD, not XP) and then tap the F6 key at the right screen then offer the SATA DRIVER DISKETTE so it can find the hard disks.

Not a newbie machine.
Not a newbie repair.

Who did this to you?

Bob

Collapse -
Newbie = new to this
by slowride45 / June 15, 2007 7:16 AM PDT

Thanks for the info. I didn't know I needed to reload the SATA drivers. I know I did when I started the system the first time, but I didn't think I would have to reinstall them...Makes sense though...system not recognizing the drives...I'll try it.
The person at the service center (because I almost recheached my wits end)told me they would have to reinstall my os and I thought "at that price I could get another HD"
I may have better then average components, but i consider my tech knowledge average, newbie if you will.

Collapse -
Not that we need to reload those drivers....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2007 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Newbie = new to this

But XP doesn't know how to use SATA drives without them. So the repair install is a fine idea but the steps are not as easy as we would want them to be.

In short...

Read about XP REPAIR INSTALL on google.com but also read about HOW TO INSTALL XP TO A SATA HARD DISK on google. What we need to do is to use knowledge from the second set of articles to get the REPAIR INSTALL rolling along.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.