Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

win xp pro spk 1 laptop i forgot the password

by er_paez47 / January 30, 2006 2:25 AM PST

Is there anyway to reset the password or to add a new one cause i forgot complete the one on this computer i cannot logon at all, is there any suggestion besides to buy a utility for this, any free utility to reset password or any other hints

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: win xp pro spk 1 laptop i forgot the password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: win xp pro spk 1 laptop i forgot the password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 2:30 AM PST

While some have noted NTPASSWD, the few times I've run into it the owner ended up with a clean hard disk and a fresh install.

Since everyone has the administrator plus their own logon, why not logon as the other and change your password?

Collapse -
The administrator is the only one i had
by er_paez47 / January 30, 2006 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Not really.

I have not used this laptop for a while and now i don't recall, i tried different ones but no succes,i guess you think i trying to break in this computer but no it is just one i setup long time ago and now i was trying to conect it to the network and the only account is the administrator so i don't remember it and i don't want to start all over again

Collapse -
It's just the lesson about single accounts on Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 3:38 AM PST

Nothing much new here and yes, you are trying to break into Windows. Don't think you are not. It's difficult because its supposed to be.

While I've warned many of the dangers of single account setups, posts like yours still occur.

Best of luck and may the reload go quickly.

PS. Next time. an admin account and the account you use?

Collapse -
Administrator Access
by Gene2598 / January 30, 2006 3:17 AM PST

If you did not apply an Administrator password (or if you wisely used a different password that you remember or safeguarded in a safe place), you can reboot your machine and press the [F8] key while the screen is still black and you see the white bars sleek across the bottom. You should see the Administrator icon come up as well as the other administrative icon you used. Enter through the Administrator icon and then change the password in the usual way. You should always put a password in for this user and store it someplace safe just for this type of occasion.

Collapse -
by er_paez47 / January 30, 2006 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Administrator Access

The only account i have in this machine that i recall is the administrator and don't remember the password so for hence when xp go to the windows logon screen and ask me for a password i can't logon cause i don't remember the password so i can't continue, so i don't understand what you mean to press F8 KEY this only will take me to a menu to go to safe mode and so on, please explain me if you understood my situation or if i did not understand your explanation.

Collapse -
Follow the Directions Given
by Darton Fury / January 30, 2006 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: Gene

Press F8 for the Advanced Options Menu and choose Safe Mode. You will then be presented with a logon screen showing all accounts on the computer. There is a "Hidden" administrator account that will only become visible here. If you are unaware of it, then it has NO password. Choose it and you will be logged in. You can then navigate to user accounts and set/reset passwords.

Collapse -
by er_paez47 / January 30, 2006 5:30 AM PST

I have been going into safe mode and always been asking for press CTRL+ALT+DEL, to enter username and password ,i always typed administrator as username and blank password or not password and always get the message of "the system could not log you in "
So i can not

Collapse -
Two sets of instructions
by retired / January 30, 2006 4:43 AM PST

That will get the same results.

NOTE: If the hidden admin account (Safe Mode) is password protected you will need that password to use this procedure.

Boot to the sign in screen.

In the box that pops up type Administrator for the User name

leave the password blank and click OK or press Enter.

Windows will boot the hidden admin account.

Open Control Panel---User Accounts.

Open the account you are locked out of.

Click Remove Password//Change password

Close out the open windows and Reboot.

If that is the only account you have windows will boot to your desktop. If there is more than one account just click the previously locked account.

NOTE: If you can break into your computer using this method you may want to make a Password for the Hidden Admin account while in Safe Mode. Jot the P/W down and put it in a safe place in the event you need it again.

Lost password, Change Password or Delete Password on XP User Accounts with Admin or limited Privileges.

This procedure only works if you can enter safe mode thru the hidden Admin Account

1-Boot to Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key while booting

2-Choose safe mode, Press Enter

3-Select operating system, Press Enter

4-Click Administrator Account

5-Windows is running in Safe Mode, Click YES

6-At the Safe Mode Desktop, click, Start, Control Panel

7-Double click User Accounts, Here you can delete accounts, delete/change passwords ETC.

8-When done Close all Windows

9-Restart Computer

Collapse -
Windows password please
by leathersnlace / January 29, 2008 11:59 PM PST

Daughter has 2300 Dem..Dell.. with Windows 2000 password..locked out..(puter given to her).. I have searched here and followed ALL directions, which don't work..We have recovery discs.(nothing that says Windows tho)..takes us to that sign in and I can't get further..trying to save her some $$$..
Can go into Dos.. but I don't know what to do in there...and can't find anything that says Administrator.. which is what is listed as user name when the sing in comes up...
ANY help greatly appreciated..

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2008 12:37 AM PST

The password issue for Windows 2000 Pro uses NTPASSWD just like we mentioned above. Try that again.

Collapse -
Locked password..sorry:-(
by leathersnlace / January 31, 2008 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Odd.

Dell-2300 Dem-Windows Pro-DESK TOP--I did read and re-read all postings...I tried the ctrl-alt-delete....I tried the F8...I tried the NTPASSWD.... I had a recovery disc..ran it... all looked wonderful until it ask in the set up for the remigration #(I think that is what is said)..and it came back invalid and I am stuck at that point!

I don't know in running it..if there was some prompt I hit incorrectly and could do to bypass that?? Should I try to redo it starting from beginning... I watched for administrator anything??? didn't see..but this is a recovery disc..and the only thing that seemed to do anything so far... I am sorry to bother again..I just felt so good I had got that far.

Collapse -
The registration number is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2008 3:18 AM PST

Part of what they call ACTIVATION. If someone installed the non-Dell XP Pro version and you don't have the CDKEY then you are so S.O.L. These are the TEETH in the license and there is no one that will give you a workaround (it's not legal to do so.)

So the password issue is completed, done and over. Now you have to tackle the OS license issue.

Collapse -
how to reset/unlock administrator and any other account
by hickman71 / January 30, 2006 5:17 AM PST

The following web page lists a Linux program that will allow you to unlock any account, and then reset the password to blank or any other password you want (I usually recommend resetting it to blank temporarily).

I've found this program to work flawlessly with WinXP and Win2k. It will not work with Server 2000 or 2003.

I've used the program for about 2 years with great success.

Collapse -
My run ins with this are all bad. But...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2006 5:20 AM PST

People bring me their failures, not the successes.

Use with care.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.